Devine tamarello recipes please?

ruger2, May 5, 11:52pm
does anyone have any they would share please?

245sam, May 6, 12:16am
ruger2, I don't have a recipe for the very simple way we enjoy tamarillos but basically all I do is peel, then slice the tamarillos and place them in a serving dish, giving each layer a light sprinkling of sugar. I cover the dish and let the tamarillos stand in the refrigerator - while the sugar sweetens the tamarillos it also makes a delicious syrup which with the tamarillos is IMO divine with custard, icecream, yoghurt or cereals, or even on their own.

For tamarillo info' and recipes have a look at:-
http://www.tamarillo.com/

Hope that helps. :-))

ruger2, May 6, 3:59am
thankyou sam, mmmmmmmmmmm i imagine the above with freshly whooped cream

245sam, May 6, 4:26am
You're very welcome ruger2 - I very very rarely ever eat whipped cream but I think you'd be quite correct - for anyone who does enjoy whipped cream, it and the tamarillos would, I expect, be divine. :-))

pam.delilah, May 6, 6:15am
tamarillo sandwich
I love them peeled, then l sliced on buttered white bread, sprinkled with sugar and topped with another slice of buttered bread. Yum yum

pam.delilah, May 6, 6:50am
Tamarillos Upside-down
50g butter
½ cup brown sugar
5 tamarillos, peeled and sliced
150g butter
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup self raising flour
¹/³ cup coconut
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Cream, whipped, to serve

1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line 22cm springform cake pan with baking paper.
2. Melt the 50g butter and ½ cup brown sugar together and pour over the baking paper. Cover with sliced tamarillos in a circular pattern.
3. Beat together second measure of butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the combined flour, coconut and spices. Spoon the cake batter over the tamarillos.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, until cake tests cooked when a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave
to rest for 5 minutes and then invert onto a serving plate.
5. Serve with whipped cream.

pam.delilah, May 6, 6:51am
Tamarillo Shortcake
125g butter;
1 1/2 cups flour;
1 tsp cornflour;
1 tsp baking powder;
pinch salt;
1 egg yolk, beaten;
500g tamarillos peeled and cooked;
squeeze of lemon juice

Rub butter into sifted dry ingredients
beat in the egg yolk and a little milk if necessary
Roll out half the mixture and line a greased sandwich tin
Cover with tamarillo puree and lemon juice.
Cover with the remaining crust and decorate with pastry leaves.
Bake at 180C until lightly browned.

bev00, May 6, 10:22am
Yummo .

taloofa, May 6, 8:43pm
Thankyou for all your advice, and will try them all. Have a lovely day today corrina.

samanya, May 7, 6:47am
That's the only way I do them & they are lovely. I don't know why people cook them, unless it's for a cake or cake type dessert.

whitehead., May 7, 8:44am
i do that too yummy stawberrys are good on white bread as well

bisloy, May 9, 9:54am
Made a tamarillo and grape crumble once and it was really good! Great change of season dessert

lindanz, Aug 12, 8:58am
Plunge unpeeled tams into boiling water and leave a few mins. Plunge into cold water and skin will easily slide off. Leave stalks on and stew gently with sugar and a little water until soft but not over cooked and squishy. These are then amazing warm or cold with ice cream, of yogurt. Divine.