GINGER CRUNCH RECIPE

Page 1 / 2
nanny007, May 2, 11:21pm
My Mum loves Ginger Crunch so I thought I would make it for her for Mothers Day but I need a good/great recipe.
PLEASE can somebody enlighten me with the BEST ginger crunch recipe you have. Thank you! ! !

vtired, May 3, 1:14am
125g Butter softened, 1/2 cup sugar, 1&1/2 cups plain flour, 1 tsp BP, 1tsp ground ginger
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift flour, Baking powder and ginger together and mix into creamed mixture. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead. Press dough into sponge roll tin (greased) Bake at 190 c for 20 to 25 mins on until lightly brown. Ice with Ginger icing

GINGER ICING- 50g butter, 1/2 cup icing sugar, 1 tblsp golden syrup, 2 tsps ground ginger. Put all into pot and melt stirring constantly, icing is ready when all butter melted and just starting to simmer, pour over the above and allow to semi cool then slice before it gets too cold as can be too crunchy to cut up nice when cold.

This is from the Edmonds cook book.

kcak, May 3, 2:41am
I always use this recipe but have found that you have to knead the shortcrust pastry so that it is crunchy rather than 'cakey'. I also double the icing as I like mine thick!

cgvl, May 3, 2:52am
I use the edmonds one but double the base and triple to quadruple the top, as I like the ginger bit more than the base.

cookessentials, May 3, 4:14am
I think there is one on the ginger gems thread

willman, May 3, 9:05am
Ginger Crunchfrom Alison Holst Cookbook:

125 gr butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tspn baking powder, 1 cup flour, 1 tspn ground ginger.

Icing:2 Tbspn butter, 2 rounded Tbspn golden syrup, 1 Tbspn water, 2 cups icing sugar, 2 tspn ground ginger.

Heat the oven to 180 oC. Warm butter untill soft, mix it with the sugar, the stir in dry ingredients. Press into a square 23 cm square cake tin, lined with with baking paper. . Bake for about 10 mins or untill lightly browned.

While the base is cooking, make the icing, since the base should be iced wile still hot.

Measure the butter, ginger, golden syrup and water into a small pot. Heat, without boiling. Remove from heat stir in the icing sugar. pour over the base and spread.

nanny007, May 4, 6:38am
Thank you all so very much! ! !

hezwez, May 4, 6:40am
Especially nice if you finely chop some crystallized ginger into the icing.

alewis, May 4, 11:11am
I put brown sugar and a crushed weetbix in the base this gives it more texture, I also dont muck about and use 1 kg of icing with my melted butter golden syrup and ginger ! !

griffo4, May 4, 9:56pm
Here are another couple to add to the mix and both are very nice as l have made both of them They were in the Sunday Star Times and l have copied it word for word except for my comments in brackets

Dayel's pistachio and ginger crunch
For the topping use glace ginger in syrup. Don't do a double take on the amount of powdered ginger used, it is supposed to taste spicy and definitely of ginger

180g butter
180g caster sugar
240g self raising flour
4 tsp ground ginger
pinch salt
70-80g roughly chopped pistachios

Cream butter and sugar very well.
Mix in the flour, ginger and salt
Lightly knead in the pistachios
Press evenly into lined swiss roll tin and bake for 20 minutes at 180C
fan bake or 185C regular bake
Base should be springy to touch and a light golden brown

Prepare topping 2-3 minutes before base is cooked and pour and spread on to base immediately it's taken from the oven
Then return to the oven for 2 more minutes
These extra couple of minutes slightly glaze the topping and make the base a little more crunchy
Cool in tin until almost cool then cut

Topping
50g butter
350g icing sugar
100g golden syrup
3 tablespoons ground ginger
3 tablespoons glace ginger-finely chopped

Over a low heat, put all the ingredients in a pot except the glace ginger
Stir until smooth and lump free it takes 2-3 minutes, remove from heat
Add the glace ginger and stir in just before putting on to base

(l use this topping on all my ginger crunch recipes l make)

Takaka ginger crunch
150g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup coconut
1 1/2 cups rolled oats, not the instant kind
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of salt

Melt butter, brown sugar and golden syrup
Remove from the heat and add the coconut, rolled oats, flour, baking powder, ginger and salt, mix well
Press into a greased slice tin and bake 180C for 15-20 minutes
Longer means crunchier
Ice when cool

Icing
75g butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
3 teaspoons ground ginger
Mix the softened butter with the other ingredients

charlieb2, May 4, 11:28pm
I have to say Auckland Alis Ginger Crunch is the BEST IN THE WORLD... .

soooooooooo yumo!

snapit, May 5, 4:48am
I recently made the TakakaGinger Crunch and was impressed it is different to a normal G C so you could do it as well , Make a variety it would be nice to call it
"My Ginger Crunch Selection for a Special Mum. "

bayview1, May 5, 6:32am
I AGREE WITH GRIFFO4. The Takaka ginger crunch is the best! P. S. I live over the hill from Takaka in Motueka.

jayc14, May 5, 6:41am
Edmonds recipe I made for years, very good and so is Allison Holst's recipe, can't go wrong with either of them... . .

nanny007, May 2, 11:21pm
My Mum loves Ginger Crunch so I thought I would make it for her for Mothers Day but I need a good/great recipe.
PLEASE can somebody enlighten me with the BEST ginger crunch recipe you have.Thank you!!!

vtired, May 3, 1:14am
125g Butter softened, 1/2 cup sugar, 1&1/2 cups plain flour, 1 tsp BP, 1tsp ground ginger
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift flour, Baking powder and ginger together and mix into creamed mixture. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead. Press dough into sponge roll tin (greased) Bake at 190 c for 20 to 25 mins on until lightly brown.Ice with Ginger icing

GINGER ICING- 50g butter, 1/2 cup icing sugar, 1 tblsp golden syrup, 2 tsps ground ginger. Put all into pot and melt stirring constantly, icing is ready when all butter melted and just starting to simmer, pour over the above and allow to semi cool then slice before it gets too cold as can be too crunchy to cut up nice when cold.

This is from the Edmonds cook book.

kcak, May 3, 2:41am
I always use this recipe but have found that you have to knead the shortcrust pastry so that it is crunchy rather than 'cakey'.I also double the icing as I like mine thick!

cgvl, May 3, 2:52am
I use the edmonds one but double the base and triple to quadruple the top, as I like the ginger bit more than the base.

lindylambchops1, May 3, 7:27am
Could you please post your full recipe here?Many thanks!My family love Ginger Crunch & this comes recommended as being the best from other posters here.TIA

lindylambchops1, May 3, 7:42am
Weetbix Delight from the Wickham Family
5 crushed weetbix
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c coconut
1 c sugar
6oz butter, melted
1/2 t baking powder
TOPPING:
1 T butter
1/2 tin sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 T golden syrup

Add melted butter to dry ingredients. Press into sponge roll tin. Bake 15 minutes at 180C.
Heat butter, sweetened condensed milk and syrup until blended. Spread on base and return to oven for 3 minutes. Ice with chocolate icing while warm.
You could replace the choc icing with ginger.
http://recipes.had.co.nz/214/weetbix-delight

lindylambchops1, May 3, 7:43am
or just use that Weetbix base & follow other Ginger Crunch topping recipe.

willman, May 3, 9:05am
Ginger Crunchfrom Alison Holst Cookbook:

125 gr butter,1/4 cup sugar,1 tspn baking powder,1 cup flour,1 tspn ground ginger.

Icing:2 Tbspn butter,2 rounded Tbspn golden syrup,1 Tbspn water,2 cups icing sugar,2 tspn ground ginger.

Heat the oven to 180 oC.Warm butter untill soft,mix it with the sugar,the stir in dry ingredients.Press into a square 23 cm square cake tin,lined with with baking paper..Bake for about 10 mins or untill lightly browned.

While the base is cooking,make the icing,since the base should be iced wile still hot.

Measure the butter,ginger,golden syrup and water into a small pot.Heat,without boiling.Remove from heat stir in the icing sugar.pour over the base and spread.

eljayv, May 3, 9:09am
Made this a couple of days ago,it is delicious.
Takaka Wholemeal Cafe Ginger Crunch
150g butter
2tbsp golden syrup
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup coconut
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
Melt butter golden syrup and brown sugar in a pot.Remove from heat.Mix dry ingredients together and add to melted ingredients .Mix well and press into greased slice tin bake 15 min for chewy or 20min for crunchy at 180dg.
Topping
60g butter
4tbsp golden syfup
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tsp ground ginger.
Melt ingredients in saucepan and spread on slice while it is still warm and clut into slices before it cools

eljayv, May 3, 9:11am
Takaka Wholemeal Cafe Ginger Crunch recipe is the best .I made it a few days ago........really delicious.

bev00, May 3, 9:57am
I add roughly chopped macademias to my topping.