Looking for an old recipe for cheese busters

dollydot, Sep 7, 10:59pm
I have been looking online and experimenting to make cheese busters the way my Nana did as I love to bake them for my Dad. So far have only found ones that while tasty are still softer than the crisp variety I am looking for. Anyone have an old recipe for crisp cheese busters? Not ones that have a pastry texture, more biscuit like. These are just so tasty when made well.

rainrain1, Sep 8, 12:30am
x1
Maybe this one from the recipe book.
"A Good Spread"

Cheese Busters
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp BP
salt and pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup grated cheese
50gr butter
Place dry ingred in a basin with cheese. Rub in butter,
mix with a little cold water to form a stiff dough. Roll out thinly, prick with a fork, cut into wafers and bake in a medium oven 180dC till pale brown

dollydot, Sep 8, 12:38am
Thanks rain, it's similar to the recipe I used except mine was made with self raising flour. This one might be better as perhaps the ratio of baking powder is lower so might make them crisper. I think the thinner they are rolled out the better too. I'll try it though, cheers

valentino, Sep 8, 2:06am
Yes, very similar to the one I have and is lovely. Main difference is using another cheese, sesame seeds, no BP and a wee bit more butter.

Edited to note also dry mustard.

Cheeselets

1 cup flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 ½ tsp dry mustard
115 g butter
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 egg white beaten
1 tbsp sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 220c.
Sift flour, salt, pepper and mustard,
Cut butter into pieces and rub into the four mixture.
Divide the mixture into 2 halves, add a cheddar into one half and gruyere into the other half.
Using your fingertips, work each mixture into a soft dough
and knead on a floured surface until smooth.
Roll out both doughs very thinly and cut into 2.5cm squares.
Transfer to the lined baking trays of baking paper.
Brush the squares with beaten egg white and sprinkle some sesame seeds on each.
Bake for 5-6 minutes or until slightly puffed up and pale in colour.
Cool and repeat the process if required using up all the biscuit dough.
When cooled, place in an airtight container.

valentino, Sep 8, 2:10am
But the big thing about these is you can add any flavourings, seeds, saltiness, savourings, whatever over each one to give a nice extra for snacks at gatherings or whatever. even alter the cheeses to suit preferably firmer and tasty varieties.

Cheers

dollydot, Oct 31, 1:54am
Thanks for your recipes valentino, the Kidspot one looks nice too. Will try them.