Sarahb5 - Grated Beetroot salad recipe please?

arrowmax, Sep 21, 2:00am
In the recent salad thread you mentioned a grated raw beetroot salad. Do you have a recipe as such for this please? I know there are several around, and I could probably make it based on your stated ingredients, but if you have recipe I'd be grateful! Particularly interested in the raspberry vinegar dressing. Thanks!

valentino, Sep 23, 1:44am
Sarahb5 is normally around but will add a thought just in case.

Raw Beetroot especially grated is gaining in popularity in its use.

In a Salad, just use whatever amount you wish, add whatever, like some grated carrot, pieces of Feta cheese (preferably made from Goat's or Sheep's milk), a little bit of dried fruit or some ideal nuts, even some nice leafy fresh herbs like Basil, Mint, plus others, and then a dressing.

Dressings can be purchased as various flavoured vinegars including raspberry, black currant, blackberry, plus heaps of others. Also a wee bit of beetroot juice mixed with a little bit of Balsamic is also quite nice especially if using canned baby beetroots that are not totally raw but still a nice alternative.

Hopefully, very soon, Sarahb5 will give her way of what she does but in the meantime, all the best.

Editing to note that any flavoured vinegar can also be put together by yourself, just make a wee bit of syrup using whatever fruit you wish then cool then mix with a nice light or a balsamic vinegar, amount to suit taste buds, could even use cider vinegar if you wish. Hopes this helps.

Cheers

davidt4, Sep 23, 1:54am
Here's a recipe for a beetroot salad that I often make:

Beetroot Salad (raw)

Serves 6

Vinaigrette
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tab Dijon mustard
1 tab red wine vinegar
salt
3 tab. e.v. olive oil

500g fresh young beetroots (3 med.)
1 tab fresh herbs – parsley, tarragon, chervil, chives.
3 tab capers
4 gherkins, chopped

Peel beetroots and grate finely. Mix with dressing and other ingredients. Stand to mellow 30 min or more.

uli, Sep 23, 4:07am
I grate beetroot (peeled, raw) on a very fine grater, then add peeled apple (grated on a very coarse grater - as the apple is so much softer than raw beetroot and you do not want to turn it into mush when mixing with the dressing).

My dressing is a few spoonfuls of greek yoghurt, a few spoonfuls of mayo and lots of garlic, onion, salt and pepper and some sharp vinegar (apple cider works well). The amounts depend on how much veges you have grated. Try it out.

Mix all together and serve or fridge for a few hours. Mix before serving.

sarahb5, Sep 23, 6:17am
I posted a link in the other salad thread - it's not the exact recipe I used but pretty close. I think the original recipe was from the Healthy Food Guide but I can't find it on their site now.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/viva-magazine/news/article.cfm?c_id=533&objectid=11214414

motorbo, Sep 23, 6:27am
so you are not willing to share your recipe?

sarahb5, Sep 23, 6:29am
I can't find it - see above

awoftam, Sep 23, 6:47am
OP I make this a lot and love it. I have even converted some "I hate beetroot" people.
http://www.meatfreemonday.org.nz/recipe/revive-raw-salad

arrowmax, Oct 8, 1:03am
Thank you all for your ideas, and thanks sarahb5 for your reply - I did see it in the other thread. I look forward to trying them all!