Carnage in the kitchen! Share your disasters!

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Jun 16, 10:53pm
Thank you. Will save this recipe and try it one day. I assume the fruit soaking in the coffee is left until it goes cold. Hot liquid added to flour can make flour dense (gluggy) and heavy.

rainrain1, Jun 16, 11:49pm
Only thing I can think of right now, was the time I cooked a huge fish pie for the shearers, and as it was placed on the back seat of the car, to take down to the shed, hot out of the oven, the foxie jumped up on to the seat and into the pie, he jumped out again real quick squealing like a mad thing.
Never told the shearers. there was only a couple of paw prints anyway
Gotta laugh or you'd cry :-)

mooshiesmum, Jun 18, 9:42pm
Oooh I have lots!

In fact currently I am testing recipes and I have a chocolate tart sitting in my fridge - been there for 5 days and STILL the centre has not set - simply formed a skin on the top and no go underneath - think I will call that a fail!

eastie3, Jun 18, 10:54pm
Oh where do I start?
Roasting corned beef from frozen, adding in the potatoes and pumpkin and turning the entire meal into an inedible,salty mess. I was a young bride and the meat went straight into the oven from the freezer.

There has been many a disaster over the years as I went from novice to competence but I love cooking now.

fey, Jun 19, 12:59am
Not mine but my mum's and not even sure its a cooking fail. Mum went to turn the oven on to cook the roast she was sure she had put in there. But earlier in the day she had put a frozen dog roll in the oven to begin to defrost (so it wouldn't sit on the bench) and it began to cook. Cooked dog roll covered in plastic is utterly disgusting. Both us and the dogs had takeaways.

mrsrickp, Jun 19, 2:14am
I had just left home at the tender age of 17 and moved in with my boyfriend (oh so many many moons ago! ) I roasted a corned silverside. thought I would impress him with my cooking ability. 35 years together now and I am pleased to say I haven't killed or poisoned him yet!

jenjen76, Jun 19, 8:58am
my two most memorable:
A carrot cake that came out looking like a cow pat (a rubber one at that!). And in the UK they sell (or used to) minced meat with some kind of paper to absorb any excess blood underneath the meat. I forgot about this when I was making spaghetti bolognese once and when I was eating it I was thinking hmmm. something papery in here. i still ate it all. poor student days. it was my dinner for 4 or 5 meals! Still alive 20 years later!

samanya, Jun 19, 10:44am
One of my mother's friends made a sponge like that & her sons nailed it to the shearing shed wall!

deecee2, Jun 20, 6:29am
Christmas lunch, had put extra stuffing into tinfoil plates and into oven before going to have a shower. Came out and realised I hadn't boiled the giblets for the gravy, so turned the heat on under them, then lifted out the cooked stuffing and sat it on the stove.

Back into the bathroom to apply makeup, but sniff, sniff, something burning. Oops, had turned on the wrong element and the stuffing was now in flames! Rushed to stove, grabbed a teatowel and lifted the tinfoil plates to throw them into the sink. Alas, the bottoms fell out and I now had flaming stuffing covering the stove, the sink, and the floor.

A plate put out the stove, a teatowel suffocated the flames in the sink, but help, how to extinguish the burning lino? Ah, the damp towel I was wearing!

Stark naked, the house full of smoke and the alarm blaring frantically, I made a rush for the bathroom before any neighbours turned up.

Christmas lunch was very successful, eventually.

karlymouse, Jun 20, 6:43am
Is it true about Artichokes. I read a story about a person who invited some quite 'proper' people to a dinner party and served artichokes and the unfortunate result they have on people (smell wise) was most unfortunate as there was no one owning up. I must admit the only time I cooked artichokes (the knobby ones) the smell was enough for me and I could not use them.

hezwez, Jun 20, 7:13am
karlymouse I didn't know about that artichoke smell, and I only yesterday learned from Barry Humphries autobiography that "Who opened their lunch?" is Aussie slang for "who farted?"

samanya, May 16, 3:00am
I find the after effects of Jerusalem 'f'artichokes usually takes a while . like it's not instant, but I suppose if you served them as a 1st course if could be a problem. The soup I make is half & half, artichokes & carrots & I just love it, the taste is indefinable & delicious . I have given it to my vegetarian niece & she wasn't that keen. I guess it's like a lot of food, you either love it or loath it.