Christmas cake with crushed pineapple recipe pleas

judz46, Nov 3, 9:08pm
i used to make this recipe years ago and it always turned out good but can't locate my recipe. if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. thanks

davidt4, Nov 3, 10:32pm
I used to make this one and it was very good. Based on a recipe by Jane Grigson.

Christmas Cake

Makes one large or two small

1st list

2 ½ lb dried fruit (raisins, currants, sultanas)
2 oz candied citrus peel
6 oz glacé cherries
6 oz preserved ginger (drained & chopped)
8 oz whole walnuts
8 oz whole almonds
grated rind & juice 1 large lemon
grated rind & juice 1 large orange
3 tab. marmalade
8 oz canned crushed pineapple
3 tab. sherry/port/marsala

Mix well and stand overnight, stirring occasionally.

2nd list

8 oz butter
8 oz brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp almond essence

Cream butter & sugar, add eggs etc. and cream very well.

3rd list

12 oz strong plain flour sifted with
1 tsp ea. of cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice

4 tab. brandy/rum/whiskey

Mix the fruit & flour alternately into the creamed mixture.

Bake in heavily lined tin/s 2 hours @ 160° C., then 2 hours 150° C. Remove from tin, puncture with fine skewer and pour over the brandy. When completely cold wrap in plastic wrap and store in a cool dark place for 6 months.

neatnick, Nov 17, 8:28am
Hi David do you have to stand the cake for 6 months or could it be made for this xmas?

edlin, Nov 18, 6:18am
1 tin crushed pineapple
500 gr. mixed fruit
1 cup sugar
100gr. butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
Put all the above ingredients into a saucepan,bring to the boil and simmer 3 minutes. Cool. Beat two eggs and stir in with 1 tbsp. brandy (if desired) then add 2 cups flour and 2 tsp. baking powder and mix well by hand. Pour into a 20cm. square tin lined with two layers of paper. Cook at 170C for 90 minutes,turn off oven and leave in another 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container in a cool place

macandrosie, Nov 18, 6:19am
Alison Holst's Christmas cake recipe has crushed pineapple in it & I have used for years & always turns out perfectly .
Christmas Cake (10”)
Alison Holst
500 gr butter
4 tabs brandy
500 gr brown sugar
2 x 1kg mixed fruit
8 eggs
6 cups flour
2 tabs golden syrup
pinch salt
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
1 small tin crushed pineapple [drained]

Soak fruit over night in the brandy. Cream softened butter, sugar & syrup. Add eggs one at a time along with a little flour to prevent curdling. Add remaining flour, salt, m spice & baking powder. Then add fruit & pineapple.
Place in lined cake tin & bake at 110°C for 6-7 hours.
Ice & decorate with royal icing.

8” Christmas Cake
Alison Holst

350 gr butter
3 tabs brandy
350 gr [1 ½ cups] brown sugar
6 eggs
1 ½ tabs golden syrup
4 cups flour
pinch salt
1 kg mixed fruit
¾ tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
1 small tin crushed pineapple
Bake @ 110°C for about 5 hours.

di18, Nov 19, 6:05am
I have made the same cake as Edlin,its very moist and easy to make.

uli, Nov 19, 9:36pm
What is the reason to boil the baking soda?

figjamto, Nov 21, 5:36am
Would agree with the Alison Holst Christmas Cake. I have made it for a few years now and has always worked out and been a hit. I always ice it with Jo Seagers Brandy Buttercream Icing

edlin, Nov 21, 6:14pm
To uli,I am not sure why the baking soda goes in with the ingredients to be boiled. When my MIL gave me the recipe over 40 years ago that is what it said and I have always followed it without thinking about it. Perhaps it is to plump up the fruit?

korbo, Nov 22, 2:32am
I was asking for a reciped that I saw Simon make on TV,. and he put the pineapple and mixed fruit in the m/wave for 5 mins, and then left overnight. that is all I remember.
Has anyone got that recipe.?

nor2, Dec 18, 10:56pm
Just made Alison Holst Pineapple Christmas Cake from "The Best of Alison Holst" red hardcover book.

No baking soda in this one.

No brandy, etc, mentioned either - not sure whether to use it (after cake finished cooking) or better without?

marcs, Mar 27, 10:01am
this is not a Christmas cake as such but more a fruit cake. It has Almond Essence in it which can be a acquired taste (I don't like the taste of Almond Essence) but for some reason it seems to go well with the pineapple.

THE LILYPOND CAFE'S FRUIT CAKE
500g mixed dried fruit
1 cup sugar
2 x 275g cans crushed pineapple with juice
125g butter, chopped
2 cups flour
1 tsp each of baking soda and baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp almond essence
1 tsp yellow food colouring

Line a 20cm x 30cm baking pan with baking paper.
Place the dried fruit, sugar, pineapple and juice and butter into a pan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and bubble gently for about 10 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder into the cooled fruit mixture. Stir in the eggs, almond essence and food colouring. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake the cake for about 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
“Did you know! - This light fruit cake has been served at the café for seven years. It is moist and keeps and freezes well.”:-))