Lentil recipes

peter968, Dec 2, 10:30pm
Husband what's to try this as alternative to rice. He is a diabetic

frances1266, Dec 3, 2:03am
Don't know if I would try as an alternative to rice. Might be ok for some recipes for something like quinoa, barley or another grain might be better.
Not sure how diabetic friendly grains are but would think whole grains would be ok.

aglarana, Dec 3, 3:12am
Is there a protein equivalent or substitute for rice? OP is my mother and dad is looking for recipes for meals.

uli, Dec 3, 3:44am
Rice substitute is grated cauliflower.
Ideal for diabetics.

davidt4, Dec 3, 4:18am
Excellent suggestion. Cauli "rice" is delicious and very simple to make.

Blitz the florets of half a cauli (any colour is fine) in a food processor to make pieces the size of rice. In a large frying pan heat some butter, ghee, coconut oil or olive oil over medium heat. Add cauli plus salt and pepper, toss over heat for about five minutes or until the cauli is just starting to soften. Serve hot with any dish that would normally be served with rice.

frances1266, Dec 3, 4:35am
Check out Dr Neal Barnard who has done a lot of research on type II diabetes and how to cure it with diet. He has a website Physicians for Responsible Medicine which is huge in USA and very informative. He has utube clips and has written books on diabetes.

aglarana, Dec 3, 7:04am
Dad is type 1, but thanks.

aglarana, Dec 3, 7:05am
Thanks for the cauli idea. He loves caulis.

daarhn, Dec 3, 9:50am
I use pulsed cauli as a thickener in curries. Also as a crumb substitute for bread. Stir through butter or oil and spread on lined tray in oven to 'dry out'. Use as au gratin, tuna casserole, through salads mixed with various seeds and Indian flavoured crumbed tofu which is my fav. I tried experimenting it to make nori rolls, stuffed peppers, and as a dip. Also use to make couscous which is devine!

daarhn, Dec 3, 10:16am

uli, Dec 3, 9:05pm

aglarana, Dec 3, 11:01pm
*drool*
Might cook some of those for my own family.

mousiemousie, Dec 4, 6:41am
I love Cauli Rice. I cook it in the microwave. Whiz the cauli florets in a food processor to make pieces the size of rice. Place in a large shallow microwave dish. I use a lasagne dish. Cover with gladwrap and cook on high for 3 mins. Leave to sit for another 3 mins. Add salt pepper and a little butter/oil (optional) and fluff up with a fork. It is also really versatile, instead of just using it as a rice substitute, try adding different things to it, herbs, spice, chives, peas, asparagus, etc etc the possibilities are endless.

nauru, May 13, 11:07am
Sunrice do a low GI rice, ,both brown and white. I buy it in CD