Low cost yummy diabetic cookie recipes please.

Page 1 / 2
angelbabe6, Sep 5, 6:43am
I am type 2, primarily diet control, with currently one pill a day. House guest is insulin dependent. I'd like to do some baking for both of us. Does anyone have yummy fail proof recipes please?

nauru, Sep 5, 7:58am
I have a brownie recipe from my diabetic book, I'll look it out and post it if you like.

marcs, Sep 5, 2:28pm
I don't know where I got the recipe from and I have not tried it so can not tell you what it tastes like. You can of course soak your fruit in brandy if you like the flavour.

Healthy Low fat fruitcake
DAIRY FREE, SUGAR FREE, SUITABLE FOR DIABETICS.
1 KG FRUIT MIX,
1 CAN APRICOT PULP (450G), made up to 2 cups with water
3 CUP SELF RAISING FLOUR,
2 TSP BAKING POWDER,
2 TSP HONEY,
2 CUPS MASHED PUMPKIN,
2 TSP MIXED SPICE.
MIX FRUIT,HONEY,APRICOT(MADE UP TO 2 CUPS WITH WATER) IN A SAUCEPAN.BRING TO BOIL,STIRRING,REDUCE HEAT TO SIMMER FOR 3 MINS.WHEN COLD ADD REST OF STUFF AND MIX WELL.PLACE IN 2 GREASED LOAF TINS.BAKE FOR 180C OR 160 FAN BAKE,30-60 MINS,OR UNTIL SKEWER COMES OUT CLEAN.THIS CAKE FREEZES WELL.

cgvl, Sep 5, 10:05pm
Diabetic baking thread on here I will bump it up for you. There may be some recipes that will be suitable for you.
I still use sugar in my recipes but have over the years halved the amount stated in the recipe, I can not tolerate the artificial sweeteners so tend to not do a lot of baking except for treats.
If I am stewing fruit that tends to need sugar I use a sweet apple instead.

nahmi, Sep 7, 5:12am
I realise they are calling this diabetic friendly because it is low fat and " sugar free " but there's an enormous amount of carb in this recipe.
The insulin dependant person could eat it confidently by adjusting their insulin to cover the carbs - the poster would probably only be able to have a teeny tiny piece Lol

valentino, Sep 7, 7:26am
Simon Gault wanted to do a TV series on cooking for Diabetics 2 plus but the funding crowd refused.

Estimated cost about $1million.

Maybe some letters of encouragements should be sent to Simon, he did spend a good part of last year in UK re Diabetic diets.

Oh, Simon is a Diabetic 2 too.

Cheers

uli, Sep 7, 9:25am
Not wanting to be spoil sport - but really just don't do any baking.
Flour and sugar is not what you want to eat if you are diabetic.
Why not make a nice Greek yoghurt with berries instead?

grannypam, Sep 7, 9:31am
all that dried fruit, flour and honey and pumpkin would have my blood sugars spiking badly.

jesus2000, Sep 8, 9:26am
LOL! Sugar free! So they take out table sugar (which is fructose and glucose) and replace it with loads of fructose and glucose.

It would be comical if it weren't for the fact it's actually quite tragic.

hestia, Sep 9, 12:09am
But . . . you have to look at it with the context of fatty liver and insulin resistance in mind.

jesus2000, Sep 9, 9:20am
Yes, that's why you need to go easy on fructose and glucose.

marcs, Sep 9, 12:37pm
Sorry I posted it. It obviously is not diabetic friendly. Will try and refrain from posting recipes in future

hestia, Sep 10, 12:22am
And you ignore the contribution of dietary fat.

hestia, Sep 10, 12:22am
It's a shame that people who do not have any knowledge of diabetes and nutrition feel the need to suppress the voice of contributors to this message board. I have noticed your baking recipes, and you are a valuable contributor here. There are people here that do appreciate your input. I do hope that you do not stop posting your recipes. Don't let the bullies win!

samanya, Sep 10, 12:52am
I'll second that . well said.
Marcs, please stick around!

uli, Sep 10, 4:10am
Hi marcs - yes stick around, and lots of us like your recipes.

However maybe do not post a recipe in diabetics that is full of sugar?

Just because it is low fat does not mean that it is suitable for diabetics.

The amount of carbs in
1 KG FRUIT MIX,
1 CAN APRICOT PULP (450G),
3 CUP SELF RAISING FLOUR,
2 CUPS MASHED PUMPKIN,

is enormous - I have not calculated it exactly, but for a diabetic - they could only eat a spoonful at a time.

Just out of interest
it is headed: "Healthy Low fat fruitcake DAIRY FREE, SUGAR FREE, SUITABLE FOR DIABETICS. "

who posted that recipe originally? Hopefully not the NZ Diabetic Asscn?

So do not go away and sulk please - we need as many posters as possible as we are now down to 63 pages of recipes - the lowest I have ever seen this board.

marcs, Sep 10, 6:47am
Unsure who posted the recipe or where it came from either but it seemed to hang around in my folder. I am still learning about what is good or bad after being diagnosed with being insulin resistant 4 weeks ago. However I have taken drastic steps to try and fix this and will see what the results bring in 6 months time. I should have noticed more as it had self raising flour but figured if I posted it people can adjust to suit or change it around like using a mixture of GF flour and almond meal (which is how I make the GF baking mix) and adding baking powder to make self raising flour and changing the pumpkin to the orange kumra (which I hate but it seems to have same texture as pumpkin once cooked) or using butternut pumpkin? Unsure what to do with the fruit yet (may be add raspberries) and not sure if GF flour is safe to eat but trying with other flour that will not have that impact on your sugar levels. How is that for some ideas for adjustments. Not sure if the cake will turn out but nothing wrong with giving it a go.

timturtle, Sep 10, 6:55am
I make this carrot cake very occasionally, which is really nice, I am not sure if it is diabetic or not.

Carrot Cake

3 eggs
1/2 cup light flavour olive oil (or melted butter)
1 tsp vanilla essence

1 1/2 cups grated carrot
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup Splenda (or equivalent other sweetener)
1 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn baking soda
1 tspn cinnamon
1 tspn mixed spice
1/2 tspn ginger
1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sultanas (optional)

•Beat first three ingredients together
•Add the grated carrot and dry ingredients and mix until combined
•Bake for approx 35 minutes at 180C (or 350F) in a loaf tin.

Ice with:

Soften half a packet of cream cheese. Add the grated zest of a lemon and a little sweetener to taste.

jesus2000, Sep 10, 10:03pm
That looks pretty good. Not too much carb and the good fats from the nuts and butter will slow down the carb absorption.

cgvl, Sep 10, 11:06pm
marcs
for GF baking I use either straight almond flour or a mix of almond and rice flour. They seem to work extremely well.
I am a type 2 diabetic, I do still use some sugar as I can not tolerate any artificial sweeteners whatsoever including stevia.
I have halved the amount of sugar in baking and have managed to reduce it to almost none in stewed fruit and things like whipped cream and custards. It takes time to get used to the difference in taste but now I find a lot of foods far too sweet, in fact when out DH and I often share a sweet treat as most of them I find sickly so can only have a very small amount.

There is a baking thread with some diabetic friendly recipes in it, I bumped it up recently so should be with in the first 3 pages. Not all the recipes are diabetic but those that are have been taken from a diabetic cookbook.

dalkemade, Sep 12, 6:22am
angelbaba6, quick buy this book currently on TradeMe! I was going to put in a biscuit recipe from it here but on the off chance thought I would see if one was available and there is . Delicious Delights For Diabetics ( have found it a good book)

jesus2000, Sep 14, 5:53am
BTW, there's nothing specific about dietary fat that contributes to fatty liver (other than if you were just over consuming calories).

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245577/ There is some evidence however that fructose plays a more direct role in liver fat accumulation. www.journal-of-hepatology.eu/article/S0168-8278(08)00164-5/a
bstract

Harvard published this about fatty liver.

www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/abundance-of-fructose-not-good-for-the-liver-heart

If you want to discuss it more then please start a thread over in the health and beauty forum, rather than discussing it here in the recipe forum.

hestia, Sep 14, 8:00am
Bingo!

punkinthefirst, Sep 14, 10:03am
There's a great little magazine called "Healthy Food Guide" which has all sorts of recipes in it - from Gluten-free to Diabetic-friendly, and just plain healthy. The recipes that I've tried have been interesting, tasty and easy to cook, and use ingredients that are found in NZ stores. It is written and edited by dieticians, and has a website - so you can look at most of the recipes and articles there, if you wish. They seem to believe in good sense and moderation. worth a look.
People must be getting sick of me recommending it, so I shall now shut up!

floydandu2, Oct 27, 10:11am
Hi Fibre Courgette muffins
Dry Bowl: 2T linseed, 2 cup ground almounds, 2.5T bran, 2T coconut, 1/4 cup gluten flour, 2/3 cup whey protein, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp ginger, pinch salt. Optional: tsp erythritol.
Wet bowl: 2 eggs, 100 mL cream, 50 ml oil, 2 courgettes, grated ginger root, 1/4 cup lemon juice.
Stir to soft slush, 200 degC. Don't overmix. Makes doz. Very moist and they freeze well. Approx 3 g carb + fibre per muffin.