Brianmac Recipes

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, May 14, 11:10pm
PIKELETS This wonderful recipe has been around since the 60's (or earlier) when my Mum used to make these. I remember her using the solid element on the stove top and using greaseproof paper and butter to grease the hotplate(can almost smell them now! ! )
2 eggs;3 tbsp caster sugar;1 1/2 cups plain flour;2 tsp cream of tartar;1 tsp of soda;1/2 teacup of milk (I use more as the mixture is quite thick)salt;1 tbsp melted butter. Sift flour and cream of tartar. Beat eggs and sugar well, then work in flour, adding milk in which b soda has been dissolved. :astly, add melted butter. TIP: pour mixture off the end of your spoon to get nice round pikelets.

Quotebrianmac (129

cookessentials, May 14, 11:12pm
Dreambars ( using Christmas mince) a great brianmac recipe returns!

Dream Bars These have Christmas fruit mince in them, BUT they are delicious, even for those (like me) who dont like fruit mince.
BASE:90g butter;1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed;1 cup plain flour. TOPPING:2 eggs;1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed;1 tsp vanilla;1 tbsp plain flour;1/2 tsp baking powder;1 1/2 cups coconut;1 cup bottled fruit mince. Beat butter with sugar until light & creamy. Stir in sifted flour, mix well. Press into 28x18cm lamington pan lined with greased paper. cont. .

brianmac (129 )5:55 pm, Sun 9 Jul #9
#

cont. Bake in mod oven 10 mins. Remove from oven and spread with prepared topping, bake a further 25-30 mins, until firm and golden brown. Allow to cookl in tin. When cold, dust with sifted icing sugar. Cut into slices.
TOPPING:Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and creamy. Fold in sifted dry ing, coconut and fruit mince. Mix well.

brianmac (129 )5:58 pm, Sun 9 Jul #10

kaddiew, May 14, 11:17pm
Thanks for these. : ) My mum cooked her pikelets in exactly the same way. There's nothing quite like a perfect pikelet cooked on a solid hotplate. : )

cookessentials, May 14, 11:26pm
No worries, cant keep a good recipe down!

cookessentials, May 14, 11:26pm
Here is the one I posted on the Cooking Class 101 thread that I always use, so I can vouch for it!
Basic pancake batter 1 cup flour;1 tsp baking powder;1/2 tsp salt;1 egg;1 1/2 cups milk;15g of butter, melted;oil for frying. Sift flour, baking powder & salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add egg, milk and melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, gradually draw in the flour. Beat well. Cover and leave to stand one hour. Grease and heat pancake pan. Pour batter into a jug and pour in enough batter while tilting the pan to cover the bottom. Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface, about 1 min, then flip over using a metal spatula. These are lovely layered with a little butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of caster sugar, just layer and repeat.

brianmac (129 )4:31 pm, Thu 30 Aug #1

cookessentials, May 14, 11:28pm
Pam's Creamy Potatoes

Here is my recipe that I posted on 13th Feb- it is quite delicious, but also rich, so a little at a time!
Someone was asking about your best potato recipe, I have FINALLY found my "Pam's creamy potatoes" recipe, so here it is.
25g butter, melted;1 clove garlic, crushed;1/4 tsp nutmeg;2 cups grated tasty cheese; 1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly;2 eggs, lightly beaten;1x 300ml carton cream;1 cup milk;1/2 cup stale breadcrumbs;fresh herbs to garnish.
combine melted butter, garlic and nutmeg in a bowl. Brush a shallow oven proof dish with half the butter mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese over the base and layer the potato slices. Combine remaining butter mix, eggs, cream and milk in a jug and pour gently over potato slices. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs ( I don't usually bother with the breadcrumbs) Bake in hot oven - 200C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. (Cover with foil if top becomes too brown.

kaddiew, May 14, 11:28pm
Great, thanks!

pickles7, May 14, 11:52pm
plum sauce. [hot]

6 kg of the plums ,
3 liters of vinegar ,
1 1/2 kg of brown sugar ,
1/4 cup of sea salt ,
100 grams of fresh ginger skin on and chopped ,
4 good Tblsp crushed garlic ,
2 tsp ground mace , or nutmeg
1 tsp cayenne , cut down to 1/2 teaspoon if you want a mild sauce.
5 tsp gr. all spice ,
1 Tblsp whole cloves ,
1 tsp gr. cloves ,
2 tsp gr, ginger ,
simmered that untill half the volume , approx 4 hours.
put it through a mouli , then sieve the stones to get all the flesh , makes it thicker.

pickles7, May 14, 11:52pm
######### Pickles Worcestershire sauce###########

Finished recipe. 9 X 750 mil bottles.

8 liters of malt vinegar ,
25 grams of whole cloves
2 kg apples ,
2 oranges ,
2 lemons ,
500 grams of garlic ,
500 grams of fresh ginger ,
110 grams of tamarind puree ,
1 near rotten banana ,
500 grams of molasses ,
25 grams of gr. black pepper ,
3 tsp cayenne pepper ,
1 kg brown sugar ,
225 grams of sea salt.
Simmer for three hours , strain through a sieve , then hang the pulp in a cotton cloth to extract all the sauce. watch for fruit flies.
Bottle , cork , and store in a cool place.

pickles7, May 14, 11:54pm
Xmas cake.
melt 1 tin of sweetened condensed milk, 125 grams of butter, 2 Tblsp golden syrup.
mix in another large bowl, 1 and 1/2 KG of mixed fruit with 2 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon each, nutmeg,cinnamon, mixed spice.
now add to that bowl the milk - butter mix, 4 beaten eggs, 1/2 teaspoon each almond, lemon, vanilla, rum essences.
lastly add 1/4 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon of baking soda added. Bake 3-4 hours at 125 %c
I line my tins with corrugated cardboard, newspaper, finally non stick baking paper.

cookessentials, May 14, 11:54pm
So, you are going to be completely childish now are you pickles7? I would suggest thinking very hard about that.

245sam, May 14, 11:55pm
From the former trademecooks.

"Moist Apple & Date Cake
This is very moist and is not "Cakey". Use Granny Smith apples. 2 apples,finely chopped;1 cup chopped dates;1/2 tsp baking soda;1 cup boiling water;185g butter;1 cup caster sugar;1 egg;2 cups plain flour. Grease a 23cm square slab pan,line base and sides with paper;grease paper well. Combine apples,dates,soda and water in a bowl,cover,cool. Cream butter & sugar with mixer until light & fluffy,beat in egg. stir in seifted flour & apple mixture.Pour into tin. Bake in mod slow oven for about 1 1/4 hours. Stand 5 mins before turning on to wire rack to cool.
posted by brianmac

Coconut Apple Crumble Slice
100g butter;1/2 cup caster sugar;1 cup plain flour;3/4 cup coconut;1 1/4 cups canned pie apples\TOPPING:1/2 cup plain flour;1 tsp ground cinnamon;30g butter;1/4 cup caster sugar. Grease a 20x30cm lamington pan (or Swiss roll tin)Beat butter & sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.Stir in sifted flour and coconut. Press mixture evenly over base of prepared tin.Bake in mod hot oven for about 12 mins or until lightly browned,cool.Spread base evenly with apple,sprinkle with topping,bake in mod oven until lightly browned;cool in tin.TOPPING: Sift flour and cinnamon into bowl,rub in butter and stir in sugar.
posted by brianmac

Boiled Apricot Nectar Cake
250g chopped dried apricots;125 ml apricot nectar;110g caster sugar;100g brown sugar;250g butter,chopped;3 eggs;150g plain flour;150g s.r flour. Grease a 15x25cm loaf pan,line base & sides with one layer of baking paper bringing paper 5cm above edge of tin.Combine apricots,nectar and sugars in a saucepan.Bring to boil,stirring,then simmer,covered,5 mins. Remove from heat,add butter,stir until melted;cover,cool to room temp. Stir in eggs and flours into apricot mixture,spoon into prepared pan. Bake in slow oven about 1.5 hours. Cover hot cake tightly with foil. Cool in pan.
posted by brianmac

Frosted Apricot Cherry & Walnut Slice-unbaked
125g sweet biscuit crumbs;1 cup halved glac'e cherries;2/3 cup chopped dried apricots;3/4 cup chopped walnuts;1/2 cup coconut;1/2 cup condensed milk;125g butter,melted.FROSTING:30g butter;1 tsp vanilla;1 tbsp yoghurt;1 cup icing sugar;2 tbsp coconut.Line base and sides of a 19x29cm lamington pan with foil. Combine biscuits,fruit,walnuts,coconut-
,milk and butter in a lge bowl;stir till combined. Press mixture evenly into prepared pan,spread with frosting.Refrigerate till set before cutting. Sprinkle with coconut. FROSTING:Beat butter,essence and yoghurt until smooth & creamy. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar.

Fruit Honey & Oat Bars
1 cup rolled oats;1 cup rice bubbles;4 weetbix,crushed;1 cup coconut; 1/4 cup choped dried apricots;1/4 cup chopped dried apples;3/4 cup brown sugar,firmly packed;1/2 cup honey;1/2 cup peanut butter;125g butter.Grease a 19x29cm lamington pan.Combine oats,rice bubbles,coconut and fruit in lge bowl.Combine sugar,,honey, p butter and butter in saucepan,stir constantly over heat without boiling until butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Bring to the boil,reduce heat,simmer,stirring constantly for 5 mins or until mixture thickens. Stir mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. Press into pan, refrigerate till set before cutting.

Fruity Coconut Bubble Slice
140g shredded coconut;90g rice bubbles;2/3 cup allbran;250g chopped glace apricots;1/2 cup chopped glace pineapple;125f chopped walnuts or pecans;125g butter;1/2 cup coconut cream;1/2 cup honey;1/3 cup raw sugar. Greas 20x30cm lamington tin.Combine rice bubbles,bran fruit & nuts in a bowl.Combine butter,coconut cream honey & sugar in a pan,stir over low heat,without boiling till butter is melted & sugar is dissolved.Bring to boil,simmer,incovered without stirring for 5 mins.Stir into dry ing and spread into pan.Refrigerate till firm.
above 3 posted by brianmac." :-))

pickles7, May 14, 11:55pm
I will look for more and post as I see fit.
So glad to be able to help out.

cookessentials, May 14, 11:58pm
you are an angel, thank you so much. Shame that pickiles7 is going to try and ruin this thread.

pickles7, May 15, 12:05am
Supreme Vogels Bread.

Ingredients
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
3 Tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp gluten
1/2 teaspoon of "Active dry yeast". not "sure to rise yeast"
3 teaspoons salt. [3 tsp]
3 Tablespoons of Psyllium Husks
2 & 1/2 cups cold water
1 & 1/4 cups of milk
1 tsp wine or cider vinegar

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
Add water, milk and vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy, wet dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place in winter or on bench in summer for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, it is a very wet sticky dough.
Spoon the dough into the tins evenly. Tent the dough with a plastic bag, or up-turn a large plastic bowl over so as it does not come in contact with the dough at all.
Leave for at least 2 hours to near double in size.
Bake 180 deg C,
Bake 60 to 75 minutes
Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool.
Do not slice until cold.

I did paint the tins with tin glide.
Tin glide:
melt 4ozs of fat add 1oz of vegetable oil, stir in 2 oz flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use.
A lot of your input went into this thread, but it will get more exposure in here.

cookessentials, May 15, 12:11am
There is this one, however it is all done in a saucepan. I am sure i have a processor recipe though,
Melt N Mix Coffee Cake 125g butter, chopped;130g brown sugar;75g caster sugar;125ml milk;2 tsp instant coffee;2 eggs;225g s. r flour. Grease a 14x21cm loaf pan, cover base with baking paper. Combine butter, sugar, milk & coffee in med saucepan, stir over low heat, without boiling, until butter is melted. Stand 10 mins. Stir in eggs & flour. Pour into pan. Bake in mod oven about 40 mins. Turn onto rack to cool. Top cold cake with coffee glac'e icing and walnuts if desired.

brianmac (130 )3:53 pm, Mon 17 Jul #20

245sam, May 15, 12:12am
continued from #13 above

"Caramel Butter Cake
125g butter;1tsp vanilla essence;1 cup brown sugar,firmly packed;2 eggs;1 tbsp golden syrup;1 cup plain flour;1/2 cup s.r flour;1 tsp ground cinnamon;1/2 cup milk.CARAMEL ICING:1 cup brown suga,firmly packed;30g butter;2 tbsp mil;2 tsp milk,extra.Grease a deep 20cm round cake tin,line base with paper,grease paper.Cream butter,essence and sugar in small bowl until light and fluffy. beat until combined. Beat in golden syrup.Transfer mix to a lge bowl,fold in sifted dry ing and milk. pour into prepared tin,bake in mod oven (180) for about 50 mins.Stand 5 mins brfore turning on to wire rack to cool.Top cold cake with caramel icing.
CARAMEL ICING:Combine sugar,butter & milk in a saucepan,stir constantly without boiling until sugar is dissolved.Bring to boil,reduce heat,simmer 3 mins uncovered without stirring.Cool to room temp. Stir in extra milk to make a spreadable consistency.
posted by brianmac

Caramel Walnut Slice
BASE:1/2 cup s.r flour;1/4 cup caster sugar;1/2 cup coconut;60g butter. TOPPING:2 eggs;1/2 tsp vanilla;1 cup coconut;90g walnut pieces;1.5 cups brown sugar,lightly packed;;1/2 tsp baking powder. Sift flour,add sugar and coconut,mix well.Melt butter over low heat ,add to dry ing,mix well.Press intogreased 28x18cm swiss roll tin.Bake in mod oven 15 mins.TOPPINGLightly beat eggs& vanilla with a fork,add coconut,chopped walnuts,brown sugar,baking powder,mix well.Spread mixture of partly cooked base,return to mod oven and bake a further 25-30 mins or until topping is cooked(not too firm)Cool in tin,cut into squares or slices.
(There is no flour in this recipe)
posted by brianmac

Peanut Caramel Squares
125g butter;1/2 cup sugar;1 egg yolk;1 cup plain flour;1/4 cup s.r flour;2 tbsp custard powder;1/4 tsp salt. TOPPING:1/2 cup brown sugar,lightly packed;1 tbsp golden syrup;90g butter;125g roasted,unsalted peanuts. Cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy,add egg yolk,mix well.Add sifted flours,custard powder & salt,mix to a firm dough.Press into 18x28cm lamington tin.Bake in mod oven 15 mins or until golden brown Remove from oven and spread with topping,return to oven for a further five minutes.Allow to cool in tin. Cut into squares. TOPPING:Place brown sugar,golden syrup and butter in a small saucepan,stir over low heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.Simmer gently five mins. Stir in roughly chopped peanuts.
posted by brianmac" :-))

cookessentials, May 15, 12:20am
You are a life saver 245sam

245sam, May 15, 12:22am
continued from #18 above.

"Caramel Chews
125g butter,chopped;395g can condensed milk;2 tbsp runny honey;150g brown sugar;100g dark chocolote,melted;35g hazelnuts,toasted,chopped coarsley. Grease a deep 15cm square cake pan,line base and sides with baking paper. Combine butter,milk,honey and sugar into med saucepan;stir over heat,without boiling,until sugar dissolves.Increase heat;cook,stirring,about 10 mins or until glossy and caramel in colour.Pour caramel into prepared pan;cool.Remove caramel from pan,spread with chocolate;top with nuts.Allow choc to set at room temp;cut into small squares to serve.
posted by brianmac

Carrot Coconut Cake
You will need about 300g of carrots. 1.5 cups finely grated carrot,firmly packed;250ml vegetable oil (I use sunflower)200g brown sugar;45g coconut;80g sultanas;300g s.r flour;1 tsp mixed spice. Grease a 23cm slab tin,cover base with baking paper.Combine all ing in med bowl,stir until combined.Spread mix into tin.Bake in mod slow even about 50 mins.Stand cake 10 mins before turning out. on to wire rack to cool Top cold cake with caramel icing and sprinkle with toasted,shredded coconut.
posted by brianmac

Walnut Brownie Bites
50g walnuts,toasted,chopped finely;80g butter;150g dark eating chocolate,chopped;150g brown sugar;1 egg,lightly beaten;50g plain flour;60g sour cream;3x 50g pkts rolos.Preheat oven to moderate.Lightly grease two non stick 12 hole mini muffin tins;divide walnuts amongst holes.Melt butter and choc inmed daucepan;stirover low heat,without boiling till mixture is smooth.Cool to just warm. stir sugar and egg into mixture then sifted flour and cream;spoon mix into prepared pan.Press one rolo into centre of each muffin.Spread mixture so that rolo is completely enclosed. Bake in mod oven about 15 mins.Using a sharp knife,loosen sides of brownies from pan. Stand 20 mins.Remove from tin gently. Best eaten while warm.
posted by brianmac

Devils Food Cake Picnic Style
In a bowl, sift together 2 cups flour;1/2 tsp baking powder;1 3/4 tsp baking soda;1 3/4 cups sugar;2/3 cup cocoa;1 tsp salt. Add 2/3 cup soft butter,then pour in 1 cup water.1 tsp vanilla essence.Beat with electric mixer 2 mins on high.Add three eggs and beat 2 mins more on med.Pour into a 33x25x5cm oblong pan lined with greaseproof paper.Bake at 180c for 35-45 mins or until cooked.Ice cold in pan with deluxe choc icing.

Deluxe Choc Icing
Sift 2 2/3 cups icing sugar;1/3 tsp salt;1/4 cup cocoa add 1/2 cup soft butter and one egg yolk plus 1/3 cup hot water.Beat until smooth & easy to spread. This cake is moist and delicious and big!

Moist Chocolate Dessert Cake
Can be made the day before needed;cooled & kept in an airtight container. 200g dark chocolate,chopped;90g butter;5 eggs,separated;3/4 cup caster sugar;1/3 cup s.r flour;300ml thickened cream,whipped;250g punnet strawberries,halved. Melt choc and butter over hot water,remove from heat,stir in egg yolks,sugar and flour. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form,fold gently into chocolate mixture.Pour into 2 greased and base-lined round sandwich tins,20 cm in diameter.Bake in mod oven 20 mins oe until cakes shrink slightly from sides. Stand 5 mins before turning on wire rack.Join together with whipped cream and strawberries.Dust with icing sugar and piped cream and strawberries on top.Can be frozen, unfilled in freezer wrap for up to 3 months.
above 3 posted by brianmac" :-))

samanya, May 15, 12:24am
. This is designated as brianmac's recipes, please keep it that way. We know where to look if we should want to try one of your recipes.You have a thread of your own . several in fact

pickles7, May 15, 12:24am
In the interest of fairness and equity, I feel it is only right to share other recipes from threads that BM had a lot of input .
This thread will be much richer for the divercity of recipes from the 60's 70's and the, "now" recipes.

pickles7, May 15, 12:26am
Vegetarian Nut Loaf
Preheat oven to 190 deg c, prepare a loaf tin, line it with baking paper.
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pan, gently cook for 10 minutes ;
1 ch onion
1 thin sliced leek
2 sticks of celery
225 grams of sl. mushrooms
2 crushed garlic cloves
Add
425 gram can of rinsed and drained lentils
1 cup of mixed nuts [ hazelnuts, cashew, almonds, finely chopped
50 grams of flour
50 grams of vegan, grated cheese
1 medium egg [ or egg substitute ]
salt and pepper
a handful of chopped mixed fresh herbs.
bake 50 - 60 minutes, or untill it is cooked
I made this for my Daughter In-law, it was divine.
Nice cold as well.

cookessentials, May 15, 12:29am
SLICE AND BAKE BISCUITS

250g butter
200g icing sugar mixture
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
300g plain flour
75g rice flour
50g cornflour
2 tablespoons milk

Note: This recipe makes 48 biscuits and can be made a week ahead. Store biscuits in a glass jar or in an airtight container.

Beat the butter, icing sugar mixture and vanilla essence in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir in the combined sifted flours in 2 batches, then the milk; mix well.

Divide the mixture in half. Knead each half on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then roll each half into a 25cm log. Wrap each log in baking paper and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.

If you are not intending to bake biscuits within 2 days, wrap them in foil and freeze.

Preheat oven to moderately slow (160C). Cut the logs into 1cm slices and place 3cm apart on greased oven trays.

Bake the biscuits in a moderately slow oven for about 20 minutes or until a pale golden colour.

Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
Variations

Orange and poppyseed
Omit vanilla essence and beat one tablespoon of finely grated orange rind with butter and icing sugar, then add 1 1/2 tablespoons of poppy seeds with combined sifted flours.

Pecan and cinnamon
Add one teaspoon of ground cinnamon to sifted flours and stir through one cup 100g toasted chopped pecans. Sprinkle biscuits with two tablespoons of cinnamon sugar before baking.

Lemon and pistachio
Omit vanilla essence and beat one tablespoon of finely grated lemon rind with butter and icing sugar, then stir through 110g of toasted chopped pistachios with combined sifted flours.

245sam, May 15, 12:30am
continued from #20 above.

"Shona's Fudge Cake
Cook 1 beaten egg,40z butter and a small cup of sugar with a dstspoon of cocoa in a saucepan.Add a dash of vanilla essence and 80z of crushed wine biscuits and 1/4 cup raisins. Press into swiss roll tin and refrigerate. Ice with chocolate icing.
posted by brianmac

Toll House bars
2-1/3c flour, (can substitute 1/3c cocoa for flour to make double chocolate), 1t baking soda, 1t salt. Cream together 200g softened butter, 3/4c each of white & hard-packed brown sugar, 1t or so vanilla. Beat in 2 eggs, add flour mixture. Add 1c chopped walnuts & 1 chopped 250g block Whittakers Dark Block. Spread it in an ungreased pan (mine is 37cm x 25cm) & bake in a preheated 190C oven for 25min. You'll have an easier time getting it out of the pan if you refrigerate it first, otherwise the center pieces will be a bit too gooey.
posted by brianmac

Zesty Lemon cream Cake
125g butter,chopped;1 tbsp lemon rind grated;220g caster sugar;2 eggs;225g s.r flour;125ml sour cream. Grease a 21cm baba cake pan (or ring tin).Combine all ing in med bowl.Beat on low speed till combined then increase to med until mix is smooth 7 changed in colour.Sppon and spread into prepared tin.Bake in mod oven about 50 mins.Stand a few mins before turning onto wire rack to cool.Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.
posted by brianmac

Lemon Coconut Squares
1/2 cup condensed milk;125g butter;250g arrowroot buscuits;1 tsp grated lemon rind;1 cup coconut. LEMON ICING: 1 3/4 cups icing sugar;3 tbsp lemon juice; 15g butter;2 tbsp coconut. Place cond milk & butter in small saucepan,stir over gentle heat until butter melts.Crush biscs finely,add lemon rind and coconut.Mix well.Add warm milk & butter mixture to crumbs,mix together with hands. Press into a greased 11x7 inch lamington pan.Refrigerate one hour Ice with lemon icing and sprinkle with coconut.For icing,combine icing sugar,lemon juice and butter in a bowl.Mix well to make a smooth icing.
posted by brianmac

"Pam's Lemon Yoghurt Cake"
1 3/4 cups caster sugar;grated rind of two lemons;2 eggs;1 cup oil;1/2 tsp salt;1 cup plain yoghurt (I use the yoplait Greek) 2-3tsp of lemon juice;2 cups s.r flour. Beat eggs,oil,sugar and rind in lge bowl,add the rest if ing in order above. Butter and flour a bundt tine (a fancy fluted ring tin) Bake at 180c for 30 mins.Serve cold dusted with icing sugar.
posted by brianmac

Orange Yoghurt Cake
125g butter;1 tbsp grated orange rind;1 cup caster sugar;3 eggs,separated;1/2 cup mixed peel;2 cups s.r flour;1/4 cup orange juice;1 cup plain yoghurt ORANGE ICING:1.5 cups icing sugar;30g soft butter;2 tbsp orange juice approx. Grease a 14x21cm loaf pan,line base & sides with paper,grease paper well. Cream butter,rind & sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light & fluffy beat in egg yolks,one at a time.Transfer mix to a lge bowl,stir in peel,then half the flour and half the combined orange juice and yoghurt,then stir in remaining flour and yoghurt mixture. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form,fold gently into mixture in two lots.Pour mix into prepared pan.Bake in slow oven for about 2 hours.Stand 5 mins before turning on to rack to cool. Spread cold cake with orange icing. ICING:combine sifted icing sugar and butter in a bowl.Stir in enough juice to mix icing to a spreadable consistency.

245sam, May 15, 12:34am
continued from #25 above.

"Moist Coconut Cake with Coconut ice Frosting
This cake is deliciously moist. 125g butter;1/2 tsp coconut essence;1 cup caster sugar;2 eggs;1/2 cup coconut;1 1/2 cups s.r flour;200g sour cream;1/3 cup milk. Grease a deep 23cm cake tin,line base with paper,grease paper. Cream butter,essence and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light & fluffy;beat in eggs,one at a time,beat until combined. Transfer to lge bowl.Stir in half the coconut and sifted flour with half the sour cream and milk,then stir in remaining ingredients;stir until smooth. Pour into prepared tin bake in mod oven about 1 hour. Stand 5 mins before turning onto wire rack to cool. Ice with Coconut Ice Frosting when cold.

Coconut Ice Frosting
2 cups icing sugar;1 1/3 cups coconut;2 egg whites,lightly beaten;pink food colouring. Combine sifted icing sugar in a bowl with coconut and egg whites;mix well. If desired,tint pink with a little colouring.

Rhubarb Coconut Cake
225g s.r flour;275g caster sugar;110g coconut;125g butter,melted;3 eggs,lightly beaten;125ml milk;1 tsp vanilla essence;90g finely chopped rhubarb;2 stalks rhubarb extra;2 tbsp demerera sugar. Preheat oven to moderate,Grease a deep 20cm round cake tin,line base with baking paper.Combine flour,caster sugar and coconut,stir in butter,egg,milk and essence till combined.Spread half the mix into tin;scatter chopped rhubarb over mix and add remaining mix on top. cut extra rhubarb into 5cm lengths
arrange on top of cake and sprinkle with the sugar. Bake about 1 hour 15 mins.Stand 5 mins before turning on to wire rack to cool.
above 2 posted by brianmac

COCONUT ICE SLICE
PASTRY: 90g butter;1/4 cup caster sugar;1/2 tsp vanilla;1 egg yolk;1 cup plain flour;1/4 cup cornflour. FILLING: 2 cups coconut;1 cup sugar;2 eggs;125g glac'e cherries. ICING:1 cup icing sugar;1 tbsp butter;1 tbsp milk;red food colouring;2 tbsp coconut. PASTRY: Beat butter,sugar & vanilla until creamy, add egg yolk, beat well. Fold in sifted flours.If too dry, add 1 tbsp water. Divide pastry in half.Roll out one half on lightly floured surface to fit base of 28x18 lamington tin which has been lined with lightly greased aluminium foil. Extend foil 5cm over edges of tin for easy removal. Trim off any excess pastry. FILLING: Combine coconut sugar and eggs in bowl, add chopped cherries,mix well and spoon evenly over pastry. Roll out remaining pastry,fit over fillingmtrim if necessary. Bake in mod oven 25-30 mins or until golden brown, cool. ICING: Sift icing sugar into a bowl,add melted butter, milk and enough drops of food colouring to make it pale pink,beat until smooth. Spread icing over slice,sprinkle with coconut and cut into small squares.