Baking cakes with sour cream or yoghurt

linster, Apr 1, 3:39am
I normally make a fail safe banana yoghurt cake, but ive seen another recipe using yoghurt instead. What will be the difference with using yoghurt! :)

cookiebarrel, Apr 1, 4:24am
linster, I have a really nice carrot cake that uses sour cream and I have been wondering if I could use the citrus yoghurt that I have fallen in love with instead of the sour cream!Have seen recipes where you can use either, but until now haven't been keen to try altering a really great recipe.

nauru, Apr 1, 4:51am
I have substituted yoghurt for sour cream in cake recipes many times and they turned out OK.I usually use plain yoghurt. I always use yoghurt in a coconut cake recipe which asks for 300g sour cream and I can't tell any difference with the finished cake, still tastes as Yummy.
Cookiebarrel, give it a go, it should be OK.

cookiebarrel, Apr 2, 5:55am
Thanks nauru :-)Will do.

griffo4, Apr 2, 6:06am
Cookiebarrel would you be kind enough to share your recipe of your carrot cake with sour cream please!

sarahb5, Apr 2, 9:38am
I had a chocolate cake that had yoghurt in it - will see if I can find it - and the chocolate zucchini cake I made at the weekend (delicious by the way) has 1/4 cup of plain yoghurt.

cookiebarrel, Apr 2, 10:26am
Here you go griffo4.It does make a lovely moist cake that keeps well, if it gets a chance that is!

Country Goodness Carrot cake.

75 grams Butter
1 + 1/2 cups Raw Sugar
1 x 250grm pot of Sour Cream
3 Eggs
1 cup All-purpose flour
1 + 1/2 tspns Baking Soda
1 tspn Mixed Spice
1 + 1/2 tspns Cinnamon
Quarter tspn Salt
Three quarters of a cup Wholemeal Flour
2 cups grated carrot
Quarter cup of Raisins

Soften butter, beat in sugar, add Sour Cream and eggs and beat thoroughly.
Sift All purpose Flour, Baking Soda, Mixed spice, Cinnamon and salt, add Wholemeal flour.
Fold into Sour Cream mixture.
Add grated Carrots and Raisins.
Turn into greased and lined 20cm/8 inch Square tin.
Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 1 Hour.
(In 8in Sq. tin it makes a 2 +1/2 inch high cake, when cooked)
When cold ice with Cream Cheese Icing.

griffo4, Apr 2, 7:50pm
Thank you so much cookie barrel l will make that up in a few days l have been looking for a carrot cake recipe with butter in it so ticks all the boxes