yeast and diet

anglia, Feb 8, 2:08am
my friend has been suffering quite badly with a skin complaint. He has a skin scrapping which showed a yeast/fungal growth but the exact nature is unknown - could be candida but not necessarily. Now he has come off a very high carb based vegetarian diet to eating low carb in an attempt to stop the prob. He has lost a lot of weight (probably too much) but the problem persists. Have been reading about capryllic acid and coconut oil. So my question is has anyone tried this, did it work? Also, would apply coconut oil directly to his skin? TIA if you can help.

accroul, Feb 8, 2:16am
coconut oil contains capryllic acid so could which I understand can help with candida. Applying the oil on his skin would be good regardless of wether his problem is candida or not. Eating might help too.

anglia, Feb 8, 2:18am
I have the cold pressed variety that goes solid in cooler temps and liquid in warm weather. Would that be the stuff? Also, can he just eat out of the jar or would I need to cook something in it?

maxwell.inc, Feb 8, 2:22am
Buy a jar of John Appletons CO. its one of the only ones thats edible. . Virgin only. .

http://www.johnappleton.co.nz/categories/Coconut-Oil/

anglia, Feb 8, 2:25am
ty. I wonder how much he should eat or apply? He is really suffering and the meds prescribed are really dramatic eg he can't go out in sun.

anglia, Feb 8, 2:27am
just checked that website max. and it says 'I'm sorry folks but I am temporarily out of stock. It seems as though 'everyone' is talking about this Coconut Oil' The power of the TM message board perhaps?

lil_miss_haley, Feb 8, 2:39am
Email to be put on the waiting list anglia, I did that last week and he emailed me back and said he had a couple of jars there. I got them 5 hours later

maxwell.inc, Feb 8, 4:21am
Exactly that. . its very ... VERY popular. . and he never orders enough.

anglia, Feb 8, 5:34am
I have found one it's brand is Ceres Organics is Virgin Cold-Pressed so I guess that's right? Eat it, smear all over and cook with it?

maxwell.inc, Feb 8, 5:39am
Some like the taste of that one Anglia, but the consensus was JA's was best for consumption... I do have an alternative I am VERY picky when it comes to taste. . so go here...

http://www.frot.co.nz/nature/coconut.htm

And order the Philippines one (I did not like the thai)

Just get him to use it as moisturizer and eat it off the teaspoon, 1-3 teaspoons a day when first starting out.

Edit - I wouldn't cook with it. . u end up wasting a lot and its quite pricey. . better to eat it straight from the jar. . or you can even melt it in a coffee or tea :o)

anglia, Feb 8, 5:51am
ty max. and all I will try to persuade him this way. he is very miserable with this condition and the prescription drugs have had zero effect plus they come with a myriad of possible side affects. fingers crossed this will help.

maxwell.inc, Feb 8, 5:57am
have him google Coconut oil and Candidia. . even if its not candidia that he has, if he can get up to about 3 tablespoons of CO a day that should help out immensely (you have to start slowly with the teaspoons or it can give u a runny bum lol)

Also if his library has it. . get him to read the Coconut Oil Miracle by bruce fife

anglia, Feb 8, 6:05am
ok max. will do :-) your help is much appreciated.

maxwell.inc, Feb 8, 6:09am
no probs... if he accepts the CO challenge. . do let us know how he gets on:o)

cj707, Feb 23, 10:49pm
Has he cut out all yeast containing foods like vinegar and marmite and cheese and beer?

skyblue26, Feb 23, 10:58pm
Its a very common problem and in one of the states doctors are not allowed to diagnose candida or yeast overgrowth.
My advise is to drink lemon juice in water, say 3 lemons per day,
go off yeasted and fermented foods for a while. Bathe in a bath with vinegar added. It kills yeast and fungus.
look at this website www.earthclinic.com

skyblue26, Feb 23, 11:01pm
There's also a very interesting chapter on yeast overgrowth in the Atkins diet, and in The Ultimate Ph Solution by Michelle Cook.
Yeast is the bad guy which is the precursor to disease, but everything else gets blamed for it. The trouble is yeast is in a lot of food, such as bread, processed foods have yeast - crackers, crumbed fish fillets. Eat unprocessed whole foods and cook from scratch.

k1andb2, Feb 24, 12:11am
I am currently on the anti-yeast diet due to candida... . . but to do it propably you have to go off all carbs (they convert to sugar inside you), no fruit, cheese, dairy (except natural unsweetened no fruit yoghurt), no starchy veges (potatoes, yams, kumera, carrots etc), no grains (wheat, oats etc) or mushrooms.

Another name for the diet is the MEVY diet:
M = Meat
E = Eggs
V = Vegetables
Y = yoghurt.

I will bump up the page where I asked questions on this MB when I first started the diet... .

k1andb2, Feb 24, 12:29am
maxwell. inc wrote:
Some like the taste of that one Anglia, but the consensus was JA's was best for consumption... I do have an alternative I am VERY picky when it comes to taste. . so go here...

http://www.frot.co.nz/nature/coconut.htm

And order the Philippines one (I did not like the thai)

Maxwells. inc... ... ... . do you use coconut flour? I'm thinking of getting some with my coconut oil order, is it worth it? Can you use it as a replacement for ordinary white flour? Also, do you know if it is lo-carb?

Sory for all the questions, but you seem very knowledgable on this subject!

maxwell.inc, Feb 24, 1:42am
No I don't, I don't use flour in general, because what does it make? cakes, biscuits and bread... we don't eat those things so I have no use for a replacement for that flour. . I guess if u still eat cakes biscuits and bread u could give it a go, but I cant comment on it... when I use flour i use ordinary wheat flour as we have it so little its not an issue ( I normally only make unleavened flat breads out of it )

Low carb? not a clue sorry.

uli, Feb 24, 1:53am
Coconut flour is the residue after pressing the oil out, so it still tastes like coconut - just not as fatty. It is lower in carb than wheat flour, but still has carbs like all nuts - some more some less.

buzzy110, Sep 6, 1:59pm
I am wondering why your friend's Dr hasn't been able to identitfy the yeast/fungal growth. There are many other causes for skin complaints. The most common are excema and psoriasis. The latter is not caused by yeast or fungus. Get a second opinion as both those should be relatively easy to diagnose.

It is horrible to think that your friend is walking around with an undiagnosed skin complaint and that there are doctors out there who are so careless of their patient's well being that no attempt has been made to find the exact cause of his complaint. He must be extremely uncomfortable.