Easter baking

sarahb5, Mar 23, 11:39pm
We're going to friends for a BBQ on Easter Sunday and I thought I'd take dessert since there will be kids there and no-one ever does dessert at BBQs.I'm thinking of doing chocolate nests with mini eggs in them for the kids but what would be something Eastery for the grown ups!

kiwinanny, Mar 24, 1:20am
what about that chocolate easter cake that was on stuff recently! Had creme eggs in it I think.

elliehen, Mar 24, 1:41am
With your UK heritage, you could make a Simnel Cake :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simnel_cake

bedazzledjewels, Mar 24, 1:43am
Yes, the simnel cake would be traditional. You have to love marzipan though.

sarahb5, Mar 24, 2:12am
Yeah I thought about Simnel Cake (I didn't know it was English though) and whilst I do like marzipan my hubby and kids don't and don't like fruit cake either really so a bit of a non-starter there.

molly37, Mar 24, 2:16am
you could take a platter of choc goodies along with wee choc eggs etc, so that everyone young and old could share. Or make 2 one for the kids.
Or make cupcakes and decorate with bunny faces etc. Google ideas.

sarahb5, Mar 24, 2:21am
I was intending on a dessert rather than cupcakes, etc.Maybe I'll just do a chocolate cheesecake and decorate it with mini eggs .

elliehen, Mar 24, 2:27am
"Traditionally, Lent is the time to fast: no sweets, no meat on Friday – and lashings of church. The reward for 40 days of abstinence is a great feast on Easter Sunday."

.from a British website on Easter baking which suggests (among other things) something rich and chocolate-y.

Why not just bake your favourite chocolate cake!There are few people who can resist a chocolate cake.

elliehen, Mar 24, 2:28am
Perfect!While I was off Googling, you've come up with the perfect solution.

cap, Mar 24, 2:45am

sarahb5, Mar 24, 3:17am
But I always do cheesecake - that's why I was hoping someone had some better ideas.I was planning to do a big roast lamb for lunch and then just have "high tea" but then our friends threw a spanner in my plans but I still have the sweet/dessert/chocolate idea set in my head!

elliehen, Mar 24, 4:47am
Do what you do best, even if you've served it before.Some people might be hanging out for "Sarah's Chocolate Cheesecake" and be disappointed if it's not there :-)

buzzy110, Mar 24, 5:01am
Watermelon

nauru, Mar 25, 7:33am
Sarah, I have a Chocolate Zucchini cake recipe if you want it, really easy as it bakes in the microwave in 8 minutes, I usually make it as a ring cake, you could fill it with mini eggs so it looks like a nest.Using Homebrand cocoa, it is nice and chocolaty. I made it yesterday for my son's birthday, covered with dark chocolate ganache.

korbo, Mar 25, 7:42am
nauru, that sound yummy, please the recipe would be great, my daughter is picking 2-4 zucchini off her plant everyday.
great idea for putting the little eggs in the middle.

autumnwinds, Mar 25, 7:44am
These two muffin recipes are always popular.

Caramel Easter-egg muffins

Try these muffins with a hidden centre of caramel Easter-egg. You'll be impressed.
Recipe by Alison Roberts (2004)
Ingredients
2 1/4 cups self-raising flour
2/3 cup caster sugar
125g butter, melted, cooled
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
12 small caramel-filled Easter eggs*
Method
Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan with paper cases.
Step 2 - Sift flour into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Whisk butter, milk, eggs and vanilla essence together.
Step 3 - Add butter mixture to dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to mix until just combined (don't over-mix or your muffins will be tough). Spoon batter into cases so each is one-third full. Place an unwrapped Easter egg into the middle of each muffin. Spoon over remaining muffin batter.
Step 4 - Bake muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, or until light golden and cooked through. Stand in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.

HOT CROSS CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
This really is Easter-in-one hit.
JEREMY AND JANE STRODE
(Herald March 24, 2013)

Ingredients
120g butter
250g dark chocolate buttons
2 cups self raising flour
3 tbsp cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
1 pinch salt
120g sultanas
1 tbsp mixed peel
190ml milk
3 eggs
1 tbsp lemon juice
100g white chocolate
Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with patty cases.
Melt butter and 150g chocolate buttons over simmering water, stir until smooth. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Stir through remaining chocolate buttons, sultanas and mixed peel. Combine milk, eggs and lemon juice in a jug and pour into flour mixture. Pour in melted chocolate and stir until just combined.
Spoon mix evenly into patty cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm to touch. When cool enough to handle, place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
Melt white chocolate* over a saucepan of just-boiled water. Pipe white chocolate crosses over the muffins (bearing in mind that white chocolate melts at a lower temperature than dark chocolate). Allow to set before serving.(Already made a batch of these, were well received - though I can't eat them.decorated with the tiny mini eggs from the Red Shed when I did the white chocolate crosses - looked so nice!)

sarahb5, Mar 25, 8:11am
I made the chocolate surprise muffins last year - not particularly impressive unless you eat them warm because the caramel egg just resets once it cools but the hot cross chocolate muffins sound interesting

sarahb5, Mar 25, 8:12am
Yes please - would be a good way to get some veggies into the kids at a BBQ too!

holly-rocks, Mar 25, 8:24am

nauru, Mar 25, 8:38am
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
125g butter
3/4 cup sugar
11/2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs
1/2 teasp each cinnamon & mixed spice
1/2 cup choc chips
3/4 cup cocoa
11/2 cups SR flour
1/4 cup plain yoghurt

Cream butter & sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat in between each egg.Add spices, zucchini, choc chips & yoghurt & mix well. Add cocoa and flour and mix.Put mixture into a prepared microwave cake pan.Bake in microwave on high for 8 minutes. Stand 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.

sarahb5, Mar 25, 8:42am
Sounds good - the only ring tin I have is metal though so could I cook it in the oven instead!

nauru, Mar 25, 9:03am
I can't see why not.I've always done it in MW as it's easier and I have a silicone ring pan. Normally,Ibake cakes @ 180C so I guess maybe for 45/50 mins.Let me know how it turns out, pls.

shop-a-holic, Mar 25, 9:33am
Sluts Jelly.One of my all time favourites for adults.Although Easter in the northern hemis represents Spring, there's nothing wrong with making Sluts Jelly with our end of summer fruits and a bottle of Late Harvest Riesling.Dig out your favourite ringed jelly mold from yesteryear.It always creates a lot of fun around the table!

sarahb5, Mar 26, 4:59am
Actually my daughter might have a silicone pan that I can use .