Yoghurt Making Experts - Help please (Not EasiYO)

arrowmax, Mar 25, 4:34am
HI There - I have read nearly every thread on here about homemade yoghurt and would like to have a go.I have bought 1L silver top milk and De Winkel's unsweetened yoghurt.I do not have thermometer, and have a crockpot, breadmaker and rice cooker.Among my questions are - can I make without milk powder and what is the most successful recipe using just milk and yoghurt, and can I use any of the appliances I have listed to keep the stuff warm overnight!I read somewhere that you can just put the jars in the crockpot on the warm setting - but could this be too hot!I would greatly appreciate tips from the experts as I am not happy with the amount of gluten, sugar and other stuff now in bought yoghurt! Thanks!

autumnwinds, Mar 25, 4:46am
I bet you have an ordinary human thermometer in the house!That's quite sufficient for yogurt making, as ideal temp for making yogurt is blood temperature (ie under 40 degrees).Dip in Dettol or other disinfectant, then thoroughly rinse to remove any aftertaste, dry on clean paper towel, and cover.

Having to go on a gluten- and dairy-free diet (long story), I now make my yogurt from the coconut milk recipe (use search bar <---) and it has to be heated to near boil, then cooled to blood heat, but that's how I solved the thermometer challenge, without having to leave the house when I was unable to.

I believe most crockpots would be too hot for yoghurt (would kill the culture), and you'd get better results by re-reading those threads for directions for chillybins/hotty or hot water cupboard combinations.

Edit for typos

uli, Mar 25, 4:52am
You do not need any appliances. You can either do yoghurt in a chilly bin with a bottle of hot water to keep the temp up or even simpler in one of those shaped polystyrene containers like easiyo.

All you need is milk and the culture and a thermometer. Mix it and incubate. Then fridge. Very simple.

flower-child01, Mar 25, 5:53am
You do not need a thermometer. Just heat the milk till starting to froth but not boiling .Cool till luke warm. I tried using deWinkles and it failed. I had more success using Yoplaits greek yoghurt but it lasted only so many batches then it turned. I recommend using a culture, as noted prior http://www.countrytrading.co.nz/collections/cheese-making-cultures-and-moulds/products/probioticyoghurtculture the culture is pure, without any added milk products. Plus cheaper than other suppliers that I could find. I made a batch from my initial batch yesterday. I have details on https://kiwihippy.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/homemade-yoghurt/ and yes i know I contradict myself stating you need a thermometer, i have one but don't use it. The best thing I invested in is a Kambrook Yoghurt maker off here. And I make yoghurt all the time as well. it is far cheaper than buying it.

cookiebarrel, Mar 25, 5:54am
Recall how we used to make yoghurt by putting a tablespoon of plain yoghurt into warmed milk, stirring and then putting into a thermos flask overnight.It worked very well, but haven't used this method for yonks and have lost the instructions.

flower-child01, Mar 25, 6:10am
If I was after as cheap yoghurt maker auction Listing #: 575299594 might be ideal.

arrowmax, Mar 25, 6:13am
Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions and helpful advice - in particular about the De Winkels! Will just eat that then and try the Yoplait as suggested - and the chilly bin.Uli - what culture do you recommend!And will also keep look out for a yoghurt maker (none in my area when I last looked on TM).Another question - what can/do you do with the "failed" yoghurt - hopefully I won't have any.but.
Again, thanks!

autumnwinds, Mar 25, 6:21am
Failed yoghurt!Add gelatine (animal or vegetable) and sugar (or sugar substitute - I use a coconut nectar), make icecream :)

04redsox, Mar 25, 7:58pm
This is what I have done. Heat 1 1/2 pints milk to 40degrees. Whisk in 2T yogurt (ie from last batch, or plain yoplait) Pour into thermos flask which has been pre warmed with some hot water. Seal and leave overnight. Next day I transfer into a container and store in fridge.

I have never added milk powder, but I think this would make it a bit thicker!

lilyfield, Mar 25, 8:22pm
failed yoghurt! I just eat it anyway on my cereal= or use in scones
not that it fails often

buzzy110, Mar 25, 10:11pm
The advice you have received so far is mostly good. The milk needs to be heated to the higher temperature to denature the protein. Once that is achieved you then cool it down to 44dC or less (a little bit hotter than body temp btw), add in the yoghurt (I prefer a culture personally) and keep warm at 37dC for up to 24 hours, depending on how acidic you like your yoghurt.

Mine always comes out rock solid. If you want you can add a few drops of calcium chloride into the milk once it is just off the heat. This will make a more solid yoghurt, especially if using pasteurised milk.

The appliances will be too hot. I tested my crock pot (not a slow cooker which cooks hotter again) and the lowest it gets is 87dC. Like Uli advises, a small polystyrene box with a jar of of water is a good place to start, or a commercial yoghurt maker that uses hot water until you can purchase an electric yoghurt maker. You can pick up cheap Easiyo type makers from OP shops.

I got my DH to make me a proofing box using a light bulb and dimmer switch and polystyrene box because I make up to 6 litres at a time in half size Agee jars and do not really want failures. this amount last for 2 weeks in the fridge.

p.s. I also have a supply of raw milk so don't bother with adding milk powder or calcium chloride.

04redsox, Mar 25, 10:28pm
buzzy110, that is interesting about the higher temperature being needed to denature the protein. I assumed it was to "pasteurise" (kill bugs) and because i used bought milk i am not sure if i bothered or not.

arrowmax, I'd say it sounds like a good idea to bring the milk to 70 degrees first, then let it cool down to 40. Sorry if I put you wrong by omitting this step.

autumnwinds, Mar 26, 4:03am
Woo hoo - so excited!Just scored an electric yogurt maker from our local Tuesday paper. for. $8!Score!Easy-peasy coconut milk yoghurt now!

04redsox, Mar 26, 7:16am
GREAT!

medicina, Mar 26, 8:11am
If you use milk powder you don't have to bother with the heating as the proteins are already denatured. Just add warmwater and your starter and keep it warm for 10 to 12 hours -done!

ETA: any starter seems to work as long as it's a 'live culture' one.