Gluten Free Hot cross Buns

mumstu, Mar 26, 12:03am
My 21 year old daughter has just become gluten free due to Health requirements and asked me to make her hot cross buns.

I make her bread from a Healtheries Bread mix and wondered if I could use this to make the buns and would I have to make it a drier mixture than the bread dough before I make it! (hope that makes sense!)

seano7, Mar 27, 3:00am
order from frillys.co.nz. not a easy thing to make and get right.

mumstu, Mar 27, 3:41am
Thanks for that.will look them up!

roshu, Mar 27, 7:52am
Healtheries recipe in the latest Coeliac Link mag:
Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns.
Prep time: 30 mins + 45 mins for dough rising.
Cooking time: 25 - 30 mins.
3 tsp (10g) dried yeast (plain granules without "improvers")
1 3/4 C warm milk
2 Tbsp caster sugar
3 1/4 C Healtheries Simple Breadmix (plus 2 Tbsp extra)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt 60 g butter
2 C sultanas
2 eggs
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp apricot jam
You will need a stand mixer with dough hooks.
Method:
1. Place yeast, milk and sugar in a in a small mixing bowl. Whisk to dissolve sugar. Rest for 10 mins.
2. Sift together first measure of bread mix, spices and salt into a large bowl of an electric mixer with dough hooks. Using fingertips, rub through butter.
3. Add sultanas, eggs and yeast mixture. Beat for 7 mins.
4. Using 1/3 measuring cup, scoop mixture into generous mounds on a greased 30 x 20 cm laminton pan, making 3 rows of 4 mounds each. Allow space for dough to rise.
5. Rest dough in a warm place for 45 mins until almost doubled. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C/ 180 degrees fan forced.
6. Mix extra 2 Tbsp bread mix, 1 tsp sugar and 1 Tbsp water to a paste and pipe crosses on buns.
7. Bake for 25 - 30 mins until cooked through and browned. Brush on jam while still warm.

ETA: Bakeworks have "soft, springy buns" available in various outlets, according to their ad.