Sunbeam piemaker

shamarick, Mar 15, 9:33am
Hi I brought a piemaker the other day and was wondering if anyone had any tips or favourite fillings to share. Tried some apple pies with shortcrust pastry but the top didnt cook enough. Will try using flakey pastry for the top next time as the recipe book sugests this.

245sam, Mar 15, 10:49am
shamarick, I was going to post a link to an earlier thread for you but there are several threads so try doing a search here on this MB using pie maker as the Keywords and Last year as the Date posted option.

Hope that helps you to enjoy using your new purchase.:-))

clgodkin, Mar 15, 10:59am
I use my piemaker all the time but rarely use pastry. I just cut off the crusts of a couple of slices of bread, butter one side and face it down, crack an egg into it (my daughter likes spaghetti) or I'll use some left overs, place another slice on top with buttered side up, and cook. When the top is golden brown and I tap it and it's not soft, then I know it's done. Such a quick and easy lunch or, dinner (with salad)

camper18, Mar 16, 5:06am
I'm with you 'cigodkin' we haven't used pastry for years just the sliced bread. Our grandkids love them.

motorbo, Mar 16, 1:35pm
my sister used to have one and from memory you need the pastry to be thin .bit like jesters pies.otherwise go with bread as the others do.for me if i had one i would want to be able to cook all pastries in it

whitehead., Mar 17, 3:41am
to get your pastry really thin roll between two sheets of cooking paper then chill in the fridge for 20mins you will be really pleased with your pies

sultana0, Mar 17, 5:06am
I love mussel/scallop/paua/pipi/fish etc, make a light to medium white sauce and add ingredients in the pie maker. Left over spag bog or nachos is good. Curry pies YUM. Custard and stewed fruit (rhubarb, peaches, apricots, apple and cloves, nectarines) or custard and nutmeg served with icecream. left over chop suey, roasts. I love ours, we have the four pie maker, best appliance in the kitchen. I use flakey sheets.

shamarick, Mar 19, 5:43am
Thanks everyone for the suggestions . I tried some muffin mixture in them that turned out ok. I tried another batch of pies for the freezer they turned out better.

willyow, Mar 19, 4:20pm
Abig can of salmon in athick white sauce with plenty of grated cheese and seasoning is easy-as andtastes great ( but not for the waistline!). There's a pie shop here in Orewa Noah's that is now doing a really nice seafood pie with prawns andwhite sauce - nice change from that fatty meat pies.