OLD FASHIONED LETTUCE SALAD

Page 2 / 2
kaddiew, Mar 10, 10:01am
The $2-type stores also have the plastic lettuce knives.

olwen, Mar 10, 11:36am
I was taught to tear lettuce in the 1950's.You can buy a plastic knife for lettucewhich is supposed to not brown it.

libra29, Mar 10, 11:43am
Oh geez, I still make the 'old fashioned' salad

cookessentials, Mar 10, 5:18pm
The plastic lettuce knife ( which is also great for cakes, soft breads etc) stops the lettuce from browning which you get if you use a stainless steel knife. The stainless steel reacts with the lettuce and causes browning.

moreporkmoo, Mar 10, 5:33pm
Grated egg!>is that even possible. sounds messy , we have slliced egg or whole hard boiled egg on the side, like shredded lettuce, tomato , spring onion, some times chunks of feta

davidt4, Mar 10, 7:35pm
Call it "Chiffonade of Lettuce" instead.

elliehen, Mar 10, 8:48pm
French for "made of rags" - not quite so exotic in translation ;)

lynken37, Mar 10, 9:12pm
We still have this salad, "he" will not eat others. I must admit I like it too. it is easy as you canthrow as much or little other ingredients in it as you have on hand.

schnauzer11, Mar 11, 12:31am
That must have been a hoot!

shiyo, Mar 11, 12:34am
yummy, and i still use the egg slicer thingy to slice the egg and the condense milk mayo

esther-anne, Mar 11, 1:47am
I still do the classic English salad too but I often use cos lettuce or cos and iceberg mixed.The family always love it and are quite rapt that there is no 'rocket' in sight.Just the same as everyone else has said but don't forget the radishes folks.Finely sliced radish is traditional in a green salad.NO grated cheese (don't like) or carrot (don't like that either).and I have never tasted condensed milk mayo but it sounds awful sweet.We use Heinz, another British throw-back I guess.

And yes to the sliced onion and cucumber in malt vinegar to go with the salad - and in this house we have it with roast beef too, either hot or cold there is always a bowl of sliced white or red onion.

usualsuspect, Mar 11, 10:59am
thinly sliced iceburg lettuce
thin sliced red onion or chopped spring onion
sliced tomato
thinly sliced cucumber
a few chopped chives
boiled sliced egg

layer them all in a big salad bowl starting with the lettuce on the bottom.serve with home made salad dressing.or mayo if you prefer.

you can add grated carrot and some grated cheese to garnish use the chopped chives,

elliehen, Mar 11, 8:29pm
As children we used to love this old-fashioned salad with mashed potato - definitely a kid combo ;)

kaddiew, Mar 11, 8:45pm
Even now in my 60s there's still something appealing about mashed potato with the crunch of iceberg lettuce.:)