Can I freeze jam

Page 1 / 2
lilu49, Feb 12, 5:50am
If so how!

samanya, Feb 12, 5:52am
Don't fill the jar too full & it will be fine.

rainrain1, Feb 12, 5:59am
I put mine in a plastic container with a lid, or icecream container.It doesn't freeze hard, so you just scoop out what you want for the table

mwood, Feb 12, 6:03am
if so why!

ralta, Feb 12, 6:04am
this^
isn't the whole idea of making jam to preserve the fruit!

mwood, Feb 12, 6:09am
Yes - however I do keep my marmalade 1 kg fruit/ 1 kg Chelsea Jam Sugar in the fridge - don't really trust that 4 minute boil.

malcovy, Feb 12, 6:11am
I do the same exact thing, I got the idea off here.

jessie981, Feb 12, 6:14am
i keep Raspberry jam in freezer. Seems to keep the flavour better, especially for baking.

duckmoon, Feb 12, 6:38am
Plastic container, and it wouldnt be solid, so you can scoop it out

floralsun, Feb 12, 8:12am
+1, and the jam tastes fresh when it's used after being frozen, no drying out as sometimes happens in the cupboard, no matter what lid is used.

lindylambchops1, Feb 12, 9:14am
Brilliant idea regarding keeping the jam in an ice cream container in the freezer, thanks for sharing that tip, I will do that when I next make jam.

My jam always seems to go mouldy in the glass jars, even in the fridge.

Home made jam is the best!

nik12, Feb 12, 12:33pm
Because it saves boiling jars and getting the seal right :-)It really does work, and it was my Nana (who had been preserving for a million years, would have been 91 this november) who told me to just chuck it in icecream containers in freezer and scoop a bit as needed.I'd have a clean small jar that I will fill as needed.

lythande1, Feb 12, 6:52pm
You can sterilise without boiling you know.there are other methods.

village.green, Feb 12, 7:28pm
What an interesting idea. My mother in law never boils her jars but just washes them in hot soapy water, she never has mould, has been preserving for 50 years or so always has heaps of jars in her cupboards, which we get lots of.I do sterilise though because knowing me I will get mould. I tend to wash first in hot soapy water, rinse and then put in 100oC oven for 20 mins or so and boil lids briefly in a saucepan. If I just have a couple of jars I half fill with water and put in microwave for a couple of mins.

rainrain1, Feb 12, 7:53pm
I don't sterilise jars, the dishwasher does all that for me. I warm them in the oven while making jam or pickles, and must say I have never had a problem with mold.I do use the jars with resealable lids though, not those jam covers, i hate them

veejay13, Feb 12, 10:36pm
What an interesting thread!If it works for jam, would it work for tomato relish!

malcovy, Feb 12, 10:58pm
I imagine not because the sugar content is not high and liquid is added ie vinegar.

rainrain1, Feb 12, 11:25pm
I have frozen a large bought plastic container of tomato relish before today, and it was OK.

marywea, Feb 12, 11:35pm
If I ever have a lot of, say plums, I freeze raw in weighed ammounts and make up small quantities of jamas required. Never heard of being able to scoop out made jam. Thanks for the great tip above.

veejay13, Feb 12, 11:56pm
Thanks for the comments re the tomato relish - I have quite a bit of it in jars in my fridge and could really use the space for other things, so perhaps I'll put some into the freezer to test and see what happens.

retired, Feb 13, 12:20am
It works for lemon curd/spreads and jam, never freezes hard.I was fed up with throwing lemon spreads out that went mouldy.

malcovy, Feb 13, 1:07am
Oh I am sorry I thought you wanted to scoop out the relish.

veejay13, Feb 13, 1:53am
That's okay -I didn't really make myself very clear.I don't really mind whether it scoops or not (although that would be a plus!) just so long as it keeps.I can't imagine that it would "split" or do something else revolting, can you!I've put some in the freezer, anyway, and will find out.

malcovy, Feb 13, 7:54am
It will freeze fine and may be a little watery when thawed.

sandranoble2012, Feb 13, 8:28am
glad i found this thread i just got a 5kg bucket of rasberry jam