Alternative to a "boiling-water canner" ?

ace441, Feb 10, 3:18am
I have a recipe for raspberry and strawberry jam but it says it will only kepp a week and has to be stored in the fridge. There is a footnote saying to get a longer shelf life process the jars in a boiling-water canner. Is there another way to do this or do I need to spend some money - it sounds expensive!

cgvl, Feb 10, 3:59am
What is your recipe!
My jams all have a shelf life of around 1 year, takes that long to eat them.

ace441, Feb 10, 4:07am
6 cups Raspberries, 3 cups Strawberries, 4 cups sugar, 1/4 cup each fresh orange juice and lemon juice and 1 tablespoon each of orange and lemon zest. Boil about 40-45 minutes until reaches 105 degrees celsius and bottle.

daisyhill, Feb 10, 4:53am
Canning seems to be an American favourite but hasn't really taken off elsewhere - maybe because it often uses expensive equipment. I'd just use a different recipe and make ordinary jam that can be put in to a hot glass jar (sterilised in the oven) and sealed.

Our jam goes into reused jars with metal pop tops. Never had a problem with it going funny in storage, and it's easy to tell if the seal has worked properly because the top will be popped in.

cgvl, Feb 10, 4:54am
ok it should be fine if you bottle it into clean hot jars. I do notice it has less than half the amount of sugar that a normal recipe would contain.
It sounds as if it would have quite a bite to it, I would probably add an extra cup of sugar.
You want to boil it until setting stage otherwise a runny jam will ensue, and nothing worse than your jam running off your toast.

cgvl, Feb 10, 4:57am
Normally I weigh my fruit eg 1kg fruit to 750g sugar, although all my recipes state kg fruit to kg sugar, and I add lemon juice or a stalk of finely chopped rhubarb to mine to help it set.

malcovy, Feb 10, 6:50am
I am now freezing jam that I make.I use ice cream containers or smaller pottles.Using a clean spoon each time the jam easily scoops out, it's marvellously lazy yet perfect.

uli, Feb 10, 7:47am
You will need to properly bottle (= waterbath) that recipe as it has not enough sugar to keep without refrigeration. Other alternative is to freeze it if you have the space.

I have a huge pot with a water heater at the bottom and use it all the time. It has cost me $100 on TM a decade ago and it is in use many months per year. Certainly cheaper than buying another freezer to house all the fruit and veges.

Here is a good description
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/348/348-594/348-594.html

evorotorua, Feb 11, 2:48am
This book is free on Amazon at the moment for Kindle. Might be worth a look. it is American and seems to have some good ideas. 'Canology - A Modern Guide - How To Eat Healthier & Save Money By Preserving Locally-Grown Natural Foods '