Induction vs gas cook tops

Page 2 / 3
bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 11:08pm
That was important for me too Toady, but I wanted gas so I went for the new F&P gas cooktops where everything retracts down flat and you use it as extra benchtop space - Been very pleased with it after 3 years - http://www.fisherpaykel.com/product/cooking/gascooktops/!productuid=B099B14F-07BD-9977-09F0651F460889E6

persioux, Jan 14, 12:14am
I replaced my gas hob with induction 6 years ago & love it.
Personally I find the heat easier to control & quicker than gas.

uli, Jan 14, 3:10am
Gas heat wasn't going low enough - good god!
What sort of hob was that!

fmgirl, Jan 14, 3:39am
Sadly the new F&P cooktops are out of our budget, gorgeous that they are

jules79, Jan 14, 3:41am
Thank you so much for posting that!I had no idea they existed!

We're re-doing the kitchen shortly and while we both love cooking with gas, I freakin' HATE cleaning the hob LOL looks like we can get the best of both worlds now!

nzhel, Jan 14, 3:53am
We had a gas cook top when living in Melbourne - it came with the new 'spec' built house. It too never went low enough depending on which element you used.
My first time using gas to cook with and my last as I didn't like it or the ugly (to me) cooktop and the fiddly cleaning that went with it. Each to their own!

samanya, Jan 14, 5:12am
It would seem that they are not all calibrated perfectly.
None of that worry with an induction hob .it takes a short time to get used to it, but way more control than any gas hob I've ever used.

davidt4, Jan 14, 5:22am
I looked into induction hobs a while ago and I couldn't find one that had an element large enough to heat the big stainless steel sauté pan that I use a lot.How do you manage with really big pans!The various salespeople I talked to just said hopeless things like "you might need to use a smaller pan".

samanya, Jan 14, 6:40am
Some have the 'double up' type function where you can use a large pan across a couple of elements .I was told that they only heat to the size of the saucepan & through experience, I'd verify that, but of course I only use normal sized pans & stock pots, largest around 25 -30cm so haven't really tested it to super sized pans to see how large the heating surface could be.
I sometime wonder if sales people have ever used one (or even cooked on anything)

melford, Jan 14, 8:20am
I hated my induction top 1. took too long to heat 2. Despite being cared for to the point of paranoia and using all the correct cleaners, polishes and especially designed scraper the biggest element showed sign of wear and tear not long after it was purchased. I have now gone for gas, boy what a difference it heats so fast, cleans so easily and as for not being able to get things to simmer I found you just use the smallest gas burner and there is no problem. I also purchased a stainless steel cloth ($36) that must never have detergent added to it and it wipes over any spillage every time. I love it! Oh and the cost to run is so cheap compared to induction. I am still on my 1st 9 kg gas bottle 4 months later using it ivery day.

samanya, Jan 14, 8:26am
Too long to heat!
That doesn't sound right. mine boils a medium saucepan half full, in about a minute.
Was yours an earlier model, I'm wondering if they have (as with most technology) improved a lot since first on the market!

dbab, Jan 14, 9:08pm
I also find that hard to believe.
The first induction cooktop we had was 16 years ago, and it heated things as quickly as the latest one we have.
We only replaced it a couple of years ago because it wasn't sealed properly around the edges and water got into it.

nicole1011, Jan 14, 9:14pm
What brand you mean! Was Fisher & Paykel.

uli, Jan 14, 10:08pm
Amazing. I just use the smallest burner and it simmers lovely.
Maybe you didn't have an assortment of burner sizes!

I have seen a hob with four of exactly the same size burners. No idea who would buy that.

I have 3 sizes including a big one which also doubles as a wok burner with a small attachment to hold the wok.

katalin2, Jan 15, 1:55am
We had a top of the line Ariston gas hob with different sized hobs- even on the small ones I could not get it low enough for a slow simmer- no such problem with my induction. I guess it is about what you get used to. I was happy enough with my old electric stove, then I loved cooking with gas, and now I really love my induction hob and the speed and temperature control it gives- it has 10 settings of heat. The other advantage of my particular induction hob is that the heating wires criss cross over the whole unit, so if I have 2 or more elements on, I can cover the whole area with smaller pots- useful at Christmas time. Also useful when making gravy after doing a roast- can get a really even heat under the whole roasting pan.

davidt4, Jan 15, 2:22am
That sounds like the thingfor me.What brand and model is your hob!

uli, Jan 15, 2:29am
You might yet get your big pan onto that one davidt4!

My biggest fry pan is 40cm in diameter - no chance for that I am afraid - or maybe using all "burners"!

ma51, Jan 15, 2:32am
Samanya I dont agree with what you say.

katalin2, Jan 15, 2:46am
It is a 70cm Electrolux. I can get a large preserving pan on it no trouble-I would have no trouble getting a 40cm diameter pot on it. We did quit a lot of research before settling on this one- the only problem we had was a glass falling on to one edge during one of the earthquakes from a shelf above and we have a small chip out of it- still trying to sort out if it is part of the contents (which would be EQC)or part of the house insurance- both claim it is the other!

davidt4, Jan 15, 2:51am
Mine's only about 35cm - 40cm is huge!

I really dislike the ceramic hob that I inherited when we moved house.

I desperately want a gas hob but our suburb doesn't have reticulated gas, so I'm trying to compare the expense and practicality of an induction hob with the expense and practicality of setting up a gas hob with bottled gas.

davidt4, Jan 15, 2:52am
Thanks katalin2.I'll look into Electrolux.

uli, Jan 15, 3:01am
I have bottled gas since I moved to NZ. Works well, gone up from $9.00 to $36 per 9kgs bottle in those 20+ years though. However even with using the oven a lot it usually gets me through a month of cooking.

The 40cm steel pan is only used when I have lots of wwoofers and lots of potatoes - then I fry them slowly in that pan. Every other one just produces limp uncooked spuds LOL :)

melford, Jan 15, 5:18am
No definately took ages to heat and I have had two of them. I was unhappy with the first one and after putting up with it until I broke the glass on it then had the whole thing replaced by insurance and THEN it was still the sane I dumped it and went to gas with an electric oven. Sooo much better, easier to keep clean and steaks in fact everything cooks far better as it is so hot in seconds. Would never go back to induction again. Milk takes a fraction of the time to come to the boil

issymae, Jan 15, 8:06am
waiting to get my induction cooktop installed; moved to new house 6 months ago and missing induction cooking , do not like ordinary ceramic one- slow, hard to control heat and also hard to keep clean and shiny;induction does not heat the cooktop only the pan therefore I will not burn anymore loose cords or teatowels etc-much safer option for an older person!

samanya, Jan 15, 10:38am
Well,that's your prerogative, but it would be good if you were more explicit & explained exactly what part of what I said you don't agree with . or is it the lot.
I guess you don't agree with a lot of other posters who like induction hobs, either .hmmmm!