Mince

tatts2, Jan 20, 11:13pm
Hi any suggestions for mince something tasty to have with vegs

posy12, Jan 20, 11:25pm
tacos! spag bol! nacho's! mince on toast! homemade burgers! chilli con carne! mince chow mein! homemade mince pie!

fifie, Jan 20, 11:41pm
How about getting the old trade me cooks recipes, heaps of ideas to zing up mince and other ways to cook it,with lots of other good recipes as well to use from here. The site is now closed but you can still download a zip file of them all here,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0fm3wvjgsjwz1f/TMC-V2.zip

tjman, Jan 21, 12:34am
Lasagne, meatballs, meatloaf!

esther-anne, Jan 21, 12:37am
Hi tatts.I may have posted this recipe before on here, yonks ago.It's my favourite way to have mince but does take a little bit of preparation.

.Yummy chilli stuffed pepper
4 large red or green even-sized capsicum.
300 – 500gms premium mince
Large onion – brown or red
4 medium size fresh tomatoes
Mushrooms to taste – I use a little over a cup
3 tbspns basmati or jasmine rice
Can of tomatoes in juice (I use Homebrand, chopped.They are cheap but just as thick and tasty as the expensive brands)
1 tsp.ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 tspns ground hot chilli(I use the hot Mexican – we like this dish hot)
1 tspn piri piri-or to taste, as I said we like them hot.
Approx 5 tbspns olive or other vegetable oil

Remove the stem/ core/flesh out of the capsicum and rinse out seeds. Salt inside very lightly and put upside down in colander to drain.
Chop onion reasonably finely
Chop mushrooms into smallish pieces
Peel and core tomatoes and chop into a dish with a little fresh chopped coriander and/or basil and add the can of tomatoes.

In a saucepan gently sauté chopped onion until soft and add spices stirring for a few moments to allow flavours to develop.Add the minced beef a little at a time and stir until lightly browned.Add mushrooms and stir for a minute or so.Add the basmati rice and stir,at the same time adding salt to taste.Put aside and allow mixture to cool a little.
Turn on oven to medium heat-I use about 170C

Stand capsicums on a tray or in a dish to catch any spills making surethat all will stand upright.Half fill each with the mixture,packing quite firmly.Into each one add a couple of chunks of fresh tomato and then fill up to the top with remaining mince mixture.If more mince is used then usually there is some left in the pot and I mix this with all the remaining tomato plus what has overfilled into tray you are using.

Using a deepish casserole dish, in the oven,heat the 3 remaining tbspns of oil until quite hot.Stand the stuffed capsicums in the hot oil and pour over a all the remaining mince and tomato mixture.Cover with foil and cook until peppers are tender-green ones seem to take a little
longer than the red – an hour to an hour and a half.Serve on a bed of extra rice with a green salad and crusty rolls or as we do, on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes with green beans and any other favourite vegetable.

There are only two of us but I always cook more than two capsicums - six even if they are cheap - because they freeze absolutely fine and are lovely second time around.

elsielaurie1, Jan 21, 7:18am
Here's an easy yummy recipe.I cook mine in a non-stick pan, therefore don't nee the oil.Great for the bbq as well.

Beef and Veges patties.

canola oil cooking spray
500g lean beef mince
1 small brown onion, grated
1 small carrot, peeled, grated
1 small zucchini, grated
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 cup tomato chutney
mixed green salad, to serve (see note)
Method

Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Place a wire rack over a shallow baking dish. Spray wire rack with cooking oil. Place mince, onion, carrot, zucchini, basil and 1/4 cup chutney in a bowl. Using clean hands, mix to combine.
Using 2 heaped tablespoons of mixture at a time, shape into 12 rissoles. Place on wire rack. Bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway during cooking, or until browned and cooked through.
Serve with salad and remaining chutney. We used cucumber ribbons, sliced red capsicum, chopped celery and mixed salad leaves.

jennyp2, Jan 22, 7:27am
this is real easy, just made it tonight for dinner tomorrow night.
Brown mince and onion ( cook till all the juice has gone so its basically cooked. Add 1 tin of spahetti, 1 dssp brown sugar, 1 tsp curry powder and 1 tsp mustardpowder. Heat through and that's it. It is nice if you grate cheese over top and grill in the oven. Enjoy!

clareo, Jan 22, 7:34am