10kg tomatoes - pasta sauce?

jennyfenny1, Jan 19, 2:55am
anyone have a good recipe! I'm looking for something that uses just the basics; olive oil, onions, seasoning etc., but is cooked for so long that the flavour becomes intense. So if you are italian decent or have a great "familiy secret" recipe, you should really come clean now! haha
I realise I could just wing it with the obvious ingredients, but with 10kg its hard to know about quantities of other things.

uli, Jan 19, 3:49am
I would never do a 10kg batch. You are much better off to make 3 smaller batches.

I always start with frying onions in olive oil, then add mince meat, then the tomatoes, some grated carrots and if you have finely minced sweet peppers, and lots of herbs like rosemary, thyme, marjoram, parsley and lots of garlic, salt and chilli.

Let it all cook together for an hour at least -and when I lived in Italy the last thing to go into the sauce before it was poured over the spaghetti was a very big slab of fresh butter.

The spaghetti were cooked "very" al dente and then they cooked the last 3 minutes in the sauce, taking up all the liquids and being just medium al dente when served. Nothing like the soft worms we get served here in NZ.

Remember that the guests always wait for the pasta - the pasta never waits for the guests to be seated!

That is why there is first an antipasto platter, then the salad, then the spaghetti, then the meat, then the vegetables and finally the cheese, alcohol and sweets.

mathewvb, Jan 19, 8:12am
1/2 to 2/3 C olive oil, 2 onions diced finely and cooked slowly in the oil for 10mins until clear and soft. 2 tins chopped tomatoes and 1 tube tomato paste about 240g. Basil, oregano, salt, pepper and a little brown sugar to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes. Simmer for 10 to 20 mins. The recipe was on master chief master class a while ago. If you are going to use fresh tomatoes take the skins off first by dipping them in boiling water for 10 seconds and squeezing out the seeds and pulp and then roughly dicing.
Enjoy and good luck

snipz, Jan 19, 9:04am
x1
I love the Harvest sauce in Annabel Langbeins.the free range cook.
I freeze it.

1buzemum, Jan 19, 9:05am
Recipe please!

fifie, Jan 19, 9:15am
Make heaps of this every year put into bags and freeze, great for pasta,spaghetti bol, etc. I use a large dish, do it in asmaller batches, and roasting the tomatoes gives it good flavour.
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/cooking/recipes/recipe/!id=292

1buzemum, Jan 19, 9:22am
I am after a tomato pasta sauce recipe "without using another processed product in the recipe"like tomato paste
please

uli, Jan 19, 8:32pm
I gave you one in post #2.

1buzemum, Jan 19, 9:07pm
So would I make it minus the mince if I just wanted the sauce!

bernice1, Jan 19, 9:27pm
Place tomatoes cut in half in a single layer in roasting pan, add onions, garlic, olive oil,dash balsamic, S&P, roast in oven at around 150C for at least 1 hour.The longer and slower the better as it intensifies the flavour.Temp and time depend on size of tomatoes.Mouli then either reheat and bottle, or freeze.And I mean mouli (or push through a sieve) as if you process tomatoes, the chopped seeds can make a sauce very bitter.

Edited to add, you can also add peppers and herbs etc to the roasting dish if desired.

uli, Jan 19, 9:43pm
Yes.
You can freeze it too.

krazy_kat, Jan 19, 9:45pm
I second this recipe but I usually cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze out as many seeds as possible.Adding red pepper to the roasting tray is good as well.

gardie, Jan 19, 10:14pm
Roast first - I am doing this for the first time this year.Definately better flavour.

uli, Jan 19, 11:54pm
Tomato sauce is made from Roma tomatoes or beefsteak tomatoes which have hardly any seeds and are very meaty - not the small round tomatoes you buy in the supermarket with huge seed amounts and hardly any flesh.

fisherlures, Jan 20, 3:45am
I'm using Mortgage lifter tomatoes. intense amazing flavour by them selves and meaty .saving the seeds anyways so my lot will get blitzed,
oil rosemary basil salt black pepper capsicums onions fresh garlic tomatoes .Had thoughts of adding mushrooms near the end but too lazy to chop them.:}

uli, Jan 23, 7:57am
Oh yes - the old mortgage lifter:)
I used to sell hundreds of that one .

You don't need mushrooms - they taste so good all by themselves with some herbs!

fisher, Jan 25, 7:37am
fifie .had a look at this one and its similar to what i make.I did add the tomato paste under sufferance but was surprised how nice it was.so thx for the heads up.
I did two huge roasting trays in new oven.Some nice sachets stored in the freezer. for future use.:}

uli, Feb 4, 3:42am
bump for kirmag