Hummus Recipes

Page 1 / 2
gizmodaisy45, Jan 3, 11:58pm
Has anyone got some tried and true and yummy hummus recipes.!I am doing up a hummus recipe book for my friend for her birthday.
Any recipes at all would be great. and yes i know i can google but I want ones that people have made and you can even give it a rating (which i will put on the page as well).you know. like a 5 star rating thingy. TIA

wildflower, Jan 4, 2:38am
I just have a basic one off a can of chickpeas I make all the time.
1 can drained, 2 cloves garlic (or more to taste), 1/2 t salt, 2 T oil, juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 t cayenne pepper (which I've never used cos I don't have any!).Process and chill.Loving it at the moment in a freshly made pita with coleslaw.

gizmodaisy45, Jan 4, 3:06am
thanks wildfower and janny.

gizmodaisy45, Jan 4, 3:07am
but janny3 not sure about the link you posted. i put in pumpkin and kumara hummus and no receipe came up.

gizmodaisy45, Jan 4, 3:44am
thanks 245. have printed out this page and also the link you put up.

vinee, Jan 4, 5:48am
This is how I make it too! with no cayenne OR tahini.
Served on still warm freshly baked bread, maybe with some tomatoes and parsley. Or with a bag of chips.
Star rating: a million.

wildflower, Jan 4, 5:51am
I've never put tahini in, it's pretty expensive and I don't notice any difference.Haven't bought hummus in years.Grow my own garlic too.

k1w1shena, Jan 4, 1:18pm
Tahini Recipe

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
5 cups sesame seeds
1 1/2 cups olive oil or vegetable oil

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350. Toast sesame seeds for 5-10 minutes, tossing the seeds frequently with a spatula. Do not allow to brown. Cool for 20 minutes.

Pour sesame seeds into food processor and add oil. Blend for 2 minutes. Check for consistency. The goal is a thick, yet pourable texture. Add more oil and blend until desired consistency.

Yield: 4 cups

Storing Tahini
Tahini should be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container. It will keep for up to 3 months.

k1w1shena, Jan 4, 1:23pm
Black Bean Hummus
Although black beans are not usually included in Middle Eastern cooking, they make such a nice alternative to chickpeas in hummus. Black beans are also very healthy and high in anti-oxidants.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 can black beans, drained (15 oz)
1/4 cup tahini
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Preparation:
In a food processor, process all ingredients until smooth and creamy. If it is too thick, add half a teaspoon olive oil and a half teaspoon lime juice. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator in airtight container.

You can modify this recipe slightly by using twice the amount of lime juice and adding a pinch of cayenne

medicina, Jan 5, 2:29am
Use nut butter in place of tahini if you don't keep tahini normally. Peanut butter works fine. Omitting altogether is not as nice IMHO

janny3, Jan 5, 8:29am
Thai Peanut Pumpkin Hummus

1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup (64gm) peanut butter
1/2 cup (120gm) pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 large spring onions, chopped (white and light green parts only)
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped coriander

Combine in a food processor, and process until smooth.

Garnish with additional chili paste and coriander, if desired.

Kumara Hummus

450gm kumara - cooked
300gm chick peas
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tblsp peanut butter
2 tblsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 tblsp olive oil + an extra slurp if needed for texture
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine cooked kumara, chickpeas, garlic, peanut butter, lemon juice, olive oil and seasonings in a food processor. Blend until desired texture.

I like cumin powder in mine.Some prefer paprika, chilli, or even curry powder.

2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground ginger

You can omit the ginger and onions if you wish.

One of my favourites is chipotle or jalapeno hummus but that's up to you.

Plain hummus can be jazzed up with a slug of soya sauce, Lea & Perrins, or spices as your taste buds allow.

Kumara Hummus

450gm kumara - cooked
300gm chick peas
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tblsp peanut butter
2 tblsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 tblsp olive oil + an extra slurp if needed for texture
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine cooked kumara, chickpeas, garlic, peanut butter, lemon juice, olive oil and seasonings in a food processor. Blend until desired texture.

I like cumin powder in mine.Some prefer paprika, chilli, or even curry powder.

2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground ginger

You can omit the ginger and onions if you wish.

One of my favourites is chipotle or jalapeno hummus but that's up to you. Have also done hummus with pesto in it.Nice on home made pizza or just in wraps.Even sun dried tomatoes go well in hummus too.

janny3, Jan 5, 8:52am
Sun-dried tomato hummus. Process 50 g sun-dried tomatoes w/ 1 lg clove garlic, 1x 400 g can of drained & rinsed chickpeas. 2 TB tahini, 2 TB lemon juice, 2 - 3 TB olive oil, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt, water to thin as reqd. Add 8 - 10 chopped and pitted olives before the final seasoning. —

Lovely on crostini.
Pumpkin & Peanut hummus. Cook 100 g peeled & cubed pumpkin. Process cooked pumpkin w/ 400g drained chickpeas, lg clove garlic, 2TB lemon juice, 2 - 3 Tb olive oil, 2Tb peanut butter & 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt & water to thin as reqd. —

samsara11, Jan 5, 8:58am
My recipe-
600g canned chickpeas
3 cloves garlic
100ml olive oil
2T tahini paste
1t cumin
Juice of lemon
Process then add 60ml water
I now use less tahini and more lemon as I find this quantity makes it a bit peanut buttery for my taste.I have tried both dried and canned chickpeas and you get a far smoother product with the canned peas.If you want a more rustic hummus use the dried peas but when soaking add a large pinch of baking soda as it is meant to soften the peas (soaked for 24hrs)

janny3, Jan 5, 12:22pm
I love the cumin flavour.

frances1266, Jan 5, 7:18pm
I will bump up the vegetarian thread.I posted a recipe for Pumpkin and Peanut hummus on page 5.

nfh1, Jan 5, 11:00pm
I made some houmous without oil last week, just as an experiment - I added lots of lemon juice and it was fine.I make it differently every time, sometimes add roasted red peppers and different spices, more/less Tahini - never made it without Tahini.Love it.

rosel4, Jan 6, 12:00am
Thanks for your recipe.Here's the basic version of the one we've just eaten on toast:

3 - 4 c cooked chickpeas
3/4 c mashed pumpkin
3/4 c olive oil
3 TB lemon juice
2 TB peanut butter
4 1/2 tsp brown sugar
3 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
3/4 tsp salt
1 TB fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)

Process (mash & beat or mouli) ingredients until smooth and creamy. If hummus is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency.

wildflower, Jan 6, 2:28am
My hummus is very nice without tahini, don't feel it necessary to add it at all if I love it the way it is.The recipe didn't have it anyway and it was from a Graigs or Delmaine can.

roshu, Jan 6, 2:50am
Just posted this in the vege thread:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/member-recipes/Basic%20Hummus%20Recipe/1615
Use tinned chickpeas if you want.

janny3, Jan 6, 5:49am
Loving the recipes.Can't believe ppl pay $4.69 for a 200 g pottle when I just scoffed that amount on 3 pieces of toast.

gizmodaisy45, Jan 7, 1:36am
thanks so much everyone. I am starting on my book and so far have photos (that i took myself)of chickpeas. lemons, peanut butter, garlic, cumin etc. ohhhh my friend is going to love this. and i have also made small see through enveopes from vellum and will put putting $7.00 bucks in each envelope so it can help towards any ingredients that she needs. thanks again for answering my plea.

horizons_, Jan 7, 7:53pm
I replace oil with water. It works just as well and is better for you.

nfh1, Jan 7, 8:34pm
What a fantastic present, your friend will be thrilled with all the trouble you have gone to.