Vegetarian Xmas dinner ideas, help!

mattdylan, Nov 21, 6:37am
was going to make a kumera and leek roulade, but just realized leeks probably wont be in season! also want to make a shrimp cocktail for entree for us meat eaters, but what to serve the vego! help!

millseys, Nov 21, 6:42am
Ricotta and spinach cannelloni! Yuuuuuum! I am pretty sure the San Remo cannelloni tube packet has a recipe on it.

mattdylan, Nov 21, 6:45am
thanks, is that special enough for xmas dinner tho!

ruby19, Nov 21, 6:55am
These are really nice
I used feta instead of goats cheese , and just used tea cups for the molds
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2287/aubergine-timbales-with-goats-cheese

millseys, Nov 21, 7:17am
My sister in law is vegetarian and we have cannelloni or somehting similar every Christmas. The non-vegetarians scoff it too.

mattdylan, Nov 21, 8:10am
Ruby they look awesome! What size tea cups! I only have quite small ones.

frances1266, Nov 21, 9:04am
I make a platter instead of an entree which I serve at around 11am - has dips, crackers, nuts, pate, marinated artichokes, fruit etc.I make a nut loaf for main course, I do Rose Elliot's cashew loaf with a few pine nuts which are
processed with herbs etc then a layer is put in the bottom of a loaf tin,
then there is a green layer which is breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley etc and then another layer of the cashew nut mixture.I have made it for years and it is really yummy.It can be made and frozen uncooked and then cooked on Christmas Day.Serve with roast veg, gravy etc which means it can be served with the veg as long as they are not roasted with meat.

ruby19, Nov 21, 6:41pm
Matt Dylan, I used cups that come with a saucer that were dome shaped, if that makes sense. Just measured,them, and they hold 250ml, they have the same shape as the recipe image.
Also, when I cook my aubergine I brush the sliced aubergine with o/oil season, and I always, fan grill,(place them a little further away from grill) and cook until soft and golden. You do have to watch closely as they can burn, quickly.

bev00, Dec 21, 9:57am
Cashew Nut Roast with Herb Stuffing
(from Rose Elliot: A Vegetarian Christmas)

50gm margarine
1 large onion
225gm unroasted cashews
100gm white bread
2 large garlic cloves
200ml water or stock
salt and pepper
grated nutmeg
1TB lemon juice

• preheat the oven to 200C
• line a 450gm/1lb loaf tin with paper and grease with some of the margarine
• fry the onion in the margarine for 10 minutes at a low heat until soft but not browned
• grind the cashews in a food processor, then remove and process the bread until it is in crumbs
• place all other ingredients in the food processor and mix.
• put half of the cashew mix into the tin, top with the stuffing, then put the rest on top
• stand the loaf tin in a baking tray to catch any oozing oil, and bake for about 20 minutes until firm and browned
• remove from the oven, let stand for a few minutes, then slip a knife around the sides of the tin and turn out.

Stuffing:
100gm white breadcrumbs
50gm margarine
1 small onion, grated
½ tsp. thyme
½ tsp. marjoram
25gm parsley, chopped

• process the bread in the food processor until it is crumbed
• add other stuffing ingredients and mix well

Quoteroshu (359 )2:39 pm,

frances1266, Dec 21, 6:49pm
That is very similar to the one I make except I throw in a few pine nuts.
I cover the loaf with baking paper or foil and bake for 45 min, take the paper off and bake another 15 min.I doubt that 20 min would be long enough.
There are numerous versions of this recipe around.

bev00, Dec 23, 12:12pm
Pumpkin and Spinach Lasagne

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1.2kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
2 cups chicken stock
100g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
1 bunch English spinach, or silverbeet, leaves rinsed and roughly chopped
1 packet of fresh lasagne sheets, enough to give 7 layers
200g fresh ricotta
280g natural yoghurt
2 egg yolks
2 cups dried breadcrumbs
3/4 cup grated parmesan
100g shelled pistachios

Preheat oven to 200C.

Heat olive oil in a large high sided frying pan. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook a further 30 seconds. Add pumpkin and stock. Let simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until soft.

Allow to cool, slightly. Mash until smooth. Stir through spinach.

Mix together ricotta, yoghurt and egg yolks. Season.

Place a small amount of the ricotta mixture on the bottom of a rectangular oven dish.

Place a layer of lasagne sheets on top. Cover with a layer of the pumpkin mixture and a thin drizzle of the ricotta mixture. Continue layering, using 7 layers of lasagne sheets in total, finishing with a layer of lasagne and then the remaining ricotta mixture.

Combine the bread crumbs, parmesan and shelled pistachios. Sprinkle over the lasagne before baking.

Bake covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake a further 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Quotecookessentials (1205 )10:59 am, Sat 24 Dec #2
Lentil Lasagne

Lentil and Tomato Sauce
1 cup Brown Lentils
1 Bay leaf
3 medium sized onions
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons oil
100g mushrooms
1 green pepper
1 can 425gms tomato puree
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
Black pepper
Rinse the lentils, then cover with plenty of water and boil with the bay leaf until tender.
While the lentils are cooking finely chop the onions and sauté with the crushed garlic in the oil until tender. Add the sliced mushrooms, diced green pepper and continue to cook until th onion is clear.
Pour in the tomato puree then add the herbs, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes over a low heat to allow the flavours to blend.
Stir in the cooked lentils.
Can be serves like this over spaghetti or leave cool to make lasagne. I make this the day before to allow flavours to mature.

Lasagne
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
½ teaspoon salt
Grated nutmeg
Black pepper
2 cups grated tasty cheese I use gruyere
2 eggs
200 – 300gms lasagne sheets
Paprika
Make a white sauce by melting the butter in a pot, stir in flour. Cook for 30 seconds then while stirring continuously add milk to form a sauce. Simmer and allow sauce to thicken.
Add grated cheese and salt and pepper, and nutmeg. Stir to make a smooth sauce.
Remove from heat allow to cool a little and beat in the eggs.

Select a large shallow casserole dish and spread a thin layer of the lentil tomato sauce. (about a quarter over the bottom)
Arrange half of the lasagne sheets in a layer over this, then spread half of the remaining lentil and tomato mixture on top. Pour over half of the cheese sauce, then arrange the remaining lasagne sheets in a layer over this. Spread over the remaining lentil mixture, then top with the remaining cheese sauce and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for about 45 minutes, or until the top is firm when pressed in the centre.

Quoterebert62 (166 )11:26 am, Sat 24 Dec #3

bev00, Dec 23, 12:13pm
Kelly's Vegetarian Lasagne

Sauce:
3 T olive oil
2 t basil
1 t oregano
1 onion
2 t crushed garlic
1/2 c chopped parsley
1 c chopped green pepper
1 c sliced mushrooms
1 med tin of tomato puree
1 med tin of tomatoes
1 sml tin tomato paste
1/2 c white wine
Salt and Pepper
2 bay leaves

Saute first 8 ingredients in large deep pan, then add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer for 20mins.

Filling:
2 c cottage cheese
2 beaten eggs
Salt and Pepper
1/2 t nutmeg
Bunch of silverbeet - with white stalks removed and then chopped. Blend with all other filling ingredients together in a large bowl

Fresh pasta sheets
Lots of grated cheese

Layer in baking dish as follows: sauce, pasta, filling, sauce, cheese, pasta, filling, sauce, cheese, pasta, sauce and rest of cheese on top. Bake covered with foil for 35min at 180degC then remove foil and bake for another 10mins.

Quotecraig04 (255 )2:35 pm, Sat 24 Dec