Pasta Salad

Page 1 / 2
brooke26, Nov 13, 12:12am
Can anyone help me with a Pasta Salad recipe.In the supermarket deli they have a penne pasta, with salami, the dressing is a thick oily tomato type.Any ideas on how to do this.Thanks.

245sam, Nov 13, 12:15am
brooke26, how about adding some salami to the following recipe!

Alison Holst's TOMATO AND GARLIC PASTA SALAD
Dressing:
1 cup (250g) bottled or canned Garlic Pasta sauce
¼-½ cup olive oil
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp each of sugar and ground cumin
½ tsp each of salt and crumbled dried oregano

Mix all the ingredients in a food processor, or shake together in a screw-topped jar.

250g tortellini, spirals or other pasta shapes
2 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
any or all of the following:-
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley; 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced; ¼-½ unpeeled, thin-skinned cucumber, cubed; drained whole kernel corn

Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, lightly salted water, with a tablespoon of added oil, then drain it thoroughly. Take care not to under-cook or over-cook the pasta.
Stir about three-quarters of the dressing gently into the hot, drained pasta and leave to stand for at least 15 minutes (“I find it convenient to put the pasta and dressing in an unpunctured oven bag to mix and store it.” – A. Holst)
Refrigerate the salad until required for serving, then just before serving stir in the spring onions and any of the optional extra parsley and vegetables. Add a little of the remaining dressing if the salad needs it.:-))

carlosjackal, Nov 13, 1:48am
This is a Pasta Salad made with only 4 ingredients. I couldn't count the number of times I have made this or of the wonderful comments I have received about it over the years.

It is super quick and easy and the "go to" recipe if I have to make something to take to a barbeque - in a hurry (and sometimes even when I'm not in a hurry). I just guage the amount of each ingredient and add more or less according to taste. Here goes:

Beer Stick Pasta Salad:

1.Pasta - eg. Penne, Fusilli, Ditalini, Rigatoni, Conchiglie, Farfalloni or similar
2.Spring onion - about 6-8 finely chopped
3.Beer Sticks - Sliced thinly (or Kransky but Beer sticks are better to use in this recipe)
4.Thousand Island Dressing

Cook Pasta in salted water until el dente, drain and toss through chopped spring onions and sliced beer sticks

Add Thousand Island Dressing and gently mix through.

Do not refrigerate before taking to BBQ - just cover the bowl with cling film and allow the flavours deveop.

This is so yummy that I've never wanted to "play" around with it and change anything - I've always opted to make an entirely different pasta salad than change this one in ant way. As they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

People who have tasted it are stunned when I tell them how few ingredients there are to it.

This is a Pasta Salad made with only 4 ingredients. I couldn't count the number of times I have made this or of the wonderful comments I have received about it over the years.

It is super quick and easy and my "go to" recipe if I have to make something to take to a barbeque - in a hurry (and sometimes even when I'm not in a hurry). I just guage the amount of each ingredient and add more or less according to taste. Here goes:

Beer Stick Pasta Salad:

1.Pasta - eg. Penne, Fusilli, Ditalini, Rigatoni, Conchiglie, Farfalloni or similar
3.Beer Sticks - Sliced thinly (or Kransky but Beer sticks are better to use in this recipe)

Cook Pasta in salted water until el dente, drain and toss through chopped spring onions and sliced beer sticks

Do not refrigerate before taking to BBQ - just cover the bowl with cling film and allow the flavours to deveop.

This is so yummy that I've never wanted to "play" around with it and change anything - I've always opted to make an entirely different pasta salad than change this one in any way. As they say: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or "why change a good thing"

People who have tasted it are stunned in disbelief when I tell them how few ingredients there are to it. Many of our friends (and family) have replicated this recipe for years now. It is seriously THAT good!

It is super quick and easy and my "go to" recipe if I have to make something to take to a barbeque - in a hurry (and sometimes even when I'm not in a hurry). I just guage the amount of each ingredient and add more or less according to taste. Here goes:

Beer Stick Pasta Salad:

Do not refrigerate before taking to BBQ - just cover the bowl with cling film and allow the flavours to deveop.

This is so yummy that I've never wanted to "play" around with it and change anything - I've always opted to make an entirely different pasta salad than change this one in any way. As they say: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or "why change a good thing"

People who have tasted it are stunned in disbelief when I tell them how few ingredients there are to it. Many of our friends (and family) have replicated this recipe for years now. It is seriously THAT good!

Note: I should probably edit it to 5 ingredients as I omitted to say that I usually add some good quality Olive Oil to the salty water for an extra layer of flavour, also the Dressing is easier to fold through if the pasta is slippery. (If that makes sense!).

wishbone66, Nov 13, 7:47am
I have never heard of Beer Sticks - please educate me lol

uli, Nov 13, 8:05am
It is a very thin salami

wishbone66, Nov 13, 8:09am
thanks uli - must have a look when in the supermarket next time.

245sam, Nov 13, 10:38am
wishbone66, for some info' re Bier Sticks, have a look at:-

http://www.verkerks.co.nz/products/continental-sausages

Hope that helps.:-))

wishbone66, Nov 13, 8:29pm
thanks 245sam, I read the wrong Beer/Bier - cheers, know what it is now.

griffo4, Nov 15, 6:29am
Thanks Uli and Sam l was wondering what beer sticks wereand thanks for posting the recipe Carlos

brooke26, Nov 17, 8:56pm
Thanks for the recipes, they sound fantastic will be trying them all.

brooke26, Nov 17, 8:58pm
Carlosjakal do you use a particular brand of thousand Island dressing.

melford, Nov 18, 7:45pm
I would like to know the brand of the thousand island dressing too please

melford, Nov 19, 11:06am
bumping for carlosjackals response to our question above

carlosjackal, Nov 19, 5:41pm
I'm back!LOL! I've used before ETA (I think!) - and it was good. I've used various brands and the flavour can vary a lot. Right now I'm using EDMONDS and it's very, very nice. This recipe is the only recipe I use Thousand Island Dressing on as I'm not really a huge fan of it. It's perfect in this recipe though.

melford, Nov 19, 7:59pm
oh thank you now I can make it.

carlosjackal, Nov 19, 11:59pm
Make heaps! (it keeps really well!) LOL!

melford, Nov 20, 9:25am
Wow, just made it! Wonderful flavour! Will be making this again thanks for sharing.

carlosjackal, Nov 20, 10:30am
Great! Glad you enjoyed it :D

brooke26, Nov 21, 8:46pm
Thanks carlosjackal, had this last night amazing.

carlosjackal, Nov 22, 1:21am
Cool! Yeah, we love it too (obviously!) and it really is the "go to" recipe for an impromtu BBQ.or just to have anytime. Oh.LOVE it with schnitzels and ratatouille! (one of my all time favourite meals! real soul food!). Glad you like it. Cheers.

herself, Nov 25, 1:50am
Tried your pasta salad last night carlosjackal.It's now on the 'Tasty and Easy' list at my place! Thanks.

carlosjackal, Nov 26, 6:34pm
You're welcome.That's great - it is very TASTY and VERY easy! Glad you like it.

carlosjackal, Nov 30, 10:02pm
Just thought I'd pop back into this thread to say that I made my Pasta salad up yesterday (for tonight and tomorrow) and for a change I used SAN REMO Vegeroni - Large Spirals. They are red, white and green coloured (tomato, plain and spinach) and they've given added colour to the salad. I recall using this type of pasta some time ago and thought it made it look more interesting/appertising. The Thousand Island Dressing also gets "caught" in the spirals - so helps to make the salad even more flavoursome!