Bread maker question

julz29, Nov 6, 8:26pm
What kind of yeast do you use and flour what are the best brands to use please

red2, Nov 6, 8:31pm
I always high grade flour - brand doesn't seem to matter and i use Surebake yeast with the red jar lid

julz29, Nov 6, 9:50pm
Ok I used bread maker yeast and have had 2 epic fails :( might try the red lid one thanks

red2, Nov 6, 9:51pm
Good luck - it works well for me

fifie, Nov 6, 10:00pm
Same as #2, never had a fail and my breadmaker is years old. Think the water temperature is important, blood heat only, not to hot or it will kill the yeast.

sarahb5, Nov 6, 10:26pm
And not too cold or the yeast won't activate.I also use the Surebake yeast with the red lid - epic fails when using Tasti active dried.I buy whichever high grade flour is cheapest and haven't noticed any huge difference between Homebrand and Champion to be honest.I buy the 5kg bags.

easyasabc, Nov 7, 7:25am
If you store it in the fridge take it out a couple of hours before you use it and let it come to room temp.

sarahb5, Nov 7, 9:05am
I don't store my yeast in the fridge - mainly because it says on the label not to do so

wendalls, Nov 7, 9:15am
Ohhhh. I have had about 4 fails all with tasti yeast straight out of fridge. Was blaming the machine. will try again.

gardie, Nov 7, 5:12pm
Of all yeasts over the years (including Surebake) I have found that the Edmonds sachets of instant yeast (in an orange box) is by far the superior one.It has never failed, even when being past expiry.I have stored partial sachets in the fridge for months and they have still worked.