Edmonds Banana Cake recipe

campbellpark15, Nov 5, 3:20am
My elderly friends mother used to make him a banana cake whn he was little tht contained 1/2 c vanilla essence it was in an edmonds cookbook, he is 75 yrs old and maybe someone has this edition of edmonds cookbook or can help wth some info, thank you very much, Juanita

gilligee, Nov 5, 3:30am
My 1959 copy does not have any vanilla in it and neither does my other copy. (date unknown) May be it is a memory thing. Also men generally of that period did not take much interest in the kitchen.

sarahb5, Nov 5, 3:30am
I don't have the recipe but it'd be a pretty expensive cake if you put 1/2 cup of real vanilla essence in a cake - Hansells (according to Countdown) is $8.94 for 125ml (1/2 cup)

245sam, Nov 5, 3:35am
campbellpark15, by the "1/2 c vanilla essence" that this cake apparently had, do you mean that to read ½ cup vanilla essence!I find it difficult to believe that any recipe would have so much vanilla essence, and I'm sorry I can't help with any Edmond's banana cake recipe that has vanilla essence - none of my books, the eldest of which is from the 1970s have any vanilla essence at all in the banana cake recipes.:-))

245sam, Nov 5, 3:35am
campbellpark15, by the "1/2 c vanilla essence" that this cake apparently had, do you mean that to read ½ cup vanilla essence!I find it difficult to believe that any recipe would have so much vanilla essence, and I'm sorry I can't help with any Edmond's banana cake recipe that has vanilla essence - none of my books, the eldest of which is from the 1970s have any vanilla essence at all in the banana cake recipes.:-))

Edited to add the following recipe for.

Banana Cake (aka Edmond’s Banana Cake)
125g butter
175g sugar
2 eggs
2 bananas, mashed
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp boiling milk
225g flour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs, bananas, then the baking soda dissolved in the boiling milk.Lastly add the flour and baking powder, previously mixed.Place the mixture into in 2 greased sandwich tins.
Bake at180°Cfor20 minutes.Fill with whipped cream and sliced bananas.

Hope that helps.:-))