Puff pastry as a pie base?

buyerholics, Nov 4, 10:31pm
I have never used it as the base for a pie but I won't have time to make short crust so tonight will be a first. Do I need to blind bake it with weights! and for how long! will this stop it from puffing up! Thanks in advance : )

kirmag, Nov 4, 10:33pm
I always used flakey puff pastry for my pies - Bacon n Egg, Mince n Cheese, Chicken etc.And it never puffs up, and no don't need to blind it.The prob I have is getting it to crisp up and not just soggy.

buyerholics, Nov 4, 10:38pm
Yeah I imagine it would be soggy without blind bake,thats why I wondered how long I could do that for before it puffs up. Would rather have a puffy base than a soggy one though! Lol thanks.

kirmag, Nov 4, 10:58pm
But it would just go soggy again wouldn't it if you were to blind bake it and them put filling in!

I don't know, never tried blind baking it cos just thought it would. someone in here will know tho.

buyerholics, Nov 4, 11:06pm
Yeah I suppose it would go a bit soggy. I just don't like it when you have raw pastry on the base, so blind baking would eliminate that. Nothing worse than biting into a pie and being able to see the pastry sheet on the bottom. yick!

sarahb5, Nov 4, 11:20pm
You can sprinkle the base with semolina I think it is to stop the base going soggy, or simply put your pie dish on a pre-heated baking sheet when you cook it.

kirmag, Nov 4, 11:29pm
oooh thanks for bumping that sarah. I always use a glass or ceramic dish for my pies too, will be getting a metal one now I think.

sarahb5, Nov 4, 11:34pm
Yeah me too but I did buy a metal one after reading that thread - just have to remember that I have it next time I make a pie!

buyerholics, Nov 4, 11:35pm
Thank you Sarah. So I'm using a metal quiche dish, I place that on the preheated baking paper which is on a tray. is that right!

sue1955, Nov 5, 12:00am
I think Sarah means - pre heat your baking tray (not baking paper). That's how I do it anyway.

sarahb5, Nov 5, 12:18am
Yes metal baking sheet, not baking paper - the metal conducts the heat and cooks the pastry at the bottom of the pie

buyerholics, Nov 5, 12:20am
Ok thanks gals! Can hardly wait for dinner now : )

lythande1, Nov 5, 2:17am
I never use shortcrust.
It only goes soggy if A)you don't cook it long enough B)hot squishy fillings

the_wooden_man, Nov 5, 10:53pm
If your oven has a 'classic bake' feature switch to that after the top looks nicely cooked and put the pie on a lower rack for a few minutes.Classic bake is bottom heat only.

carlosjackal, Nov 6, 3:41am
Brushing the base with egg white helps to prevent seepage.

bounce16, Nov 6, 3:53am
I use a glass (pyrex) pie dish and always use puff pastry on the bottom.I don't blind bake it first and have no problems.Make sure the filling is cold when you put it in the pastry though.If the top is starting to burn before it is cooked, just put a bit of baking paper over the top to prevent it burning.