Whitebait .xmas day.cook and then freeze?

niclee, Oct 11, 8:33pm
Hi We are haveing over seas guests for xmas and would like to have some cold whitebait fritters to offer, does any one know if I would be best to cook these and then freeze (bring out night before) or else freeze whitebait and then cook the night before.thanks

pericles, Oct 11, 8:40pm
do them fresh, don't freeze cooked ones, please

beebs, Oct 11, 8:55pm
they are only really good done fresh and eaten straight away, but i have done them the last couple of years as well as the roast, what i do is serve them as an early entree.so when everyone is there have a drink and chatting, i cook them up and serve them on a platter with lemon wedges, salt and pepper and small plates.guests have a nibble an hour+ early from the 'main event' always goes down well - away from the actual table.

datoofairy, Oct 11, 8:59pm
I am the worlds biggest whitebait fan, but even I shudder at the thought of cold, frozen, pre-cooked whitebait.
Why would you do that!
By all means, freeze the fresh whitebait.But they only take a few minutes to cook and are much nicer straight from the pan to the plate, not cold.
Just add the whitebait to beaten egg, a little salt and pepper, then into the hot pan.They only take a few minutes to cook.
Batter is horrible, its what fish and chip shops do to make the whitebait go further and ruins the taste.

niclee, Oct 11, 9:10pm
x1
Thanks, for your imput. I will freeze and cook on the day.just wasnt sure the best way.