Edmond's apricot jam recipe

sylvia, Feb 8, 8:29am
I can't find my old recipe book and have a case of apricots to make into jam tomorrow. The only recipe I used to use was from the Edmond's book and as I haven't made jam for so long I wouldn't have a clue what it was now! Would someone be so kind as to post the recipe for me? Thanks heaps in advance.

sumstyle, Feb 8, 8:43am
Bear with me, I'm typing it out...

sumstyle, Feb 8, 8:46am
2. 7 kg (6 pounds) apricots
2. 7 kg (6 pounds) sugar Holy Moly!
2. 5 cups water

Split and stone the fruit. Put into a preserving pan with the water. Cook *slowly* until the fruit is pulped. Add sugar and boil rapidly 15 to 20 minutes. Test.

The addition of blanched kernels with improve the flavour (no idea what they are referring to).

This is the recipe from the 1990 Edmonds cook book.

indy95, Feb 8, 8:46am
Apricot Jam

2. 7 kg apricots halved and stoned
2 1/2 c water
2. 7 kg sugar
Lemon juice

Simmer apricots with water until soft, add sugar then boil rapidly for about 15 to 20 mins or until setting point is reached.

Add juice of 1 or 2 lemons if you like. I hope this is the one you wanted, sylvia.

Edited to add that sounds like a great deal of sugar and I would probably cut the amount but of course it's a matter of personal preference.

sylvia, Feb 8, 8:56am
Thank you both so much! I'm tempted to use the new jam sugar for these so I imagine I wouldn't need the lemons.

indy95, Feb 8, 8:59am
Sylvia, if you use the lemons you can save the expense of the jam sugar as they will have the same effect on your jam for a lot less money.

waswoods, Feb 8, 9:00am
x2
I never add water; just equal quantities of apricots and sugar. Let it stand overnight. Next morning turn on a low heat until the sugar is melted and then simmer till set

korbo, Aug 2, 12:15am
Hi, I followed the edmonds apricot jam recipe exactly, as i have done for years, and today discovered little bits of mould on top. why is this. never had it happen before.