Freezer meals

nattles88, Sep 26, 8:34pm
I have a friend whose having a baby in a few weeks and i thought instead of baby clothes and the like i was going to make her a bunch of frozen meals for her and hubby. I am a farmer and I have an overload of sausages, mince and weiner schnitzel in the freezer. I havent been able to think of much beyond shepards pie, spag bol and lasange and im not entirely sure about foods that freeze well.
Oh and I have an 8.5month old chasing me around the house so the meals cant be too labour intensive!

dezzie, Sep 26, 8:54pm
hmm, the things you have said, plus some burger middles/rissoles, precooked then freeflow frozen.
To be honest, all the things you have listed are fairly much quick cook anyway, so unless they are farming as well, how about just giving them the meat as it is!

nik12, Sep 26, 9:15pm
When we moved a friend did a heap of meals for my freezer (was a god send!).She put most of them in those bigger sized gladware containers and that was perfect size for our family of 5.
She did .
Curried sausages and rice (rice went in the bottom, meat on top, I defrosted and it mixed through was lovely)
Mac and cheese
Some kind of mince with vege, curry and vermicilli noodles (need to get that recipie!)
Pumpkin soup
Stew with dumplings in (stuffed that one up first time I defrosted, didn't realise bout the dumplings and stirred it too much being impatient)
Then before spring I was cooking double and freezing half.Did chicken chassurre (um spelling!) Devilled sausages and other stews (I always put lots of vege in even if recipie doesn't say too).Then I just had to do spuds or rice.

spuddybuddy, Sep 26, 9:28pm
I have donea lot of freezer meals, especially when children were little,they are a godsend, especially on those nights when things went wrong, or you got stuck in town and nothing organised for dinner,now I can just phone the teenagers and they get something started.All the above suggestions are great,quiches work well as do pies, cook first then freeze, watch pasta stuff though tends to suck up the liquid in the dish and dry out on reheating,to get around this I made the sauce a little bit runnier than normal.I would often make a base mixture with mince,then could add whatever spices or herbs to turn into spag bol or nachos, or just leave as is over mashed potatoes.You could slice the snitzel thinly marinate it in chinese flavours, cook, then freeze to reheat quickly add stirfry veges to for a quick srirfry.
Anyway what a great idea,your friend will love it and be very thankful.

daisyhill, Sep 27, 12:04am
What a great idea! I'm sure your friend will be very happy to not have to think about what to cook for a while.

I bought this book recently and really like it - Fresh from the Freezer by Ghillie James. It's on sale at the moment so you might be interested in getting a copy for yourself!
http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Book/Fresh-from-the-Freezer-100-Delicious-Freezer-Friendly-Recipes/10395483/

I know you have lots of meat but they might appreciate some meat-free options too. Something like macaroni cheese freezes really well and most people seem to love it. Vegetable curry would be agood one too.