Edmonds butter icing recipe please

chrisanddan, Sep 28, 1:41am
Hello , could someone pretty please tell me the butter icing recipe on page 76 of the Edmonds cook book , lost the page
Thank you :)

olwen, Sep 28, 2:01am
Edmonds books vary a lot, do you know the edition!

245sam, Sep 28, 2:58am
x2
chrisanddan, this is the butter icing from 2 of my Edmond's Cookery Books.

BUTTER ICING FOR CHRISTMAS CAKE (will keep)

175g butter
500g icing sugar
3 tbsp wine or brandy
2 tsp vanilla

Cream the butter with the sifted icing sugar.Add the brandy or wine and vanilla.Beat well.

Hope that's the one you wanted.:-))

245sam, Sep 28, 3:05am
x2
Or is it this one, from Edmond's Illustrated Cookbook!

BUTTER ICING
100g butter, softened
¼ tsp vanilla essence
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1-2 tbsp hot water

Cream butter until light and fluffy.Add vanilla.Gradually beat in icing sugar, beating until smooth.Add sufficient water to give a spreading consistency.
:-))

chrisanddan, Sep 28, 4:57am
x1
Oh yeah I didn't think of that , that theres many diff books! And thanks very much 245sam for the recipes !, much appreciated :)

grandma, Sep 28, 7:43am
245sam - I've never yesed butter icing on my Christmas Cake but would like to give it a try - does it keep and for how long please!

grandma, Sep 28, 7:43am
Woops - "used"!

245sam, Sep 28, 8:18am
grandma, Mum and I have been using the Brandy Icing, as we call it, on our Christmas Cakes for many many years and providing that the iced cake is kept cool (i.e. not refrigerated) the icing keeps for ages - we have been known to have a piece of the iced cake left up to a year later, and the worst that happened to it was that where the icing came into direct contact with the cake it became discoloured (i.e. where the almond paste didn't quite completely cover the side but the brandy icing did, the cake discoloured the icing).
It's very easy to ice the cake with the Brandy Icing but best not to do it on a hot or overly warm day.

Hope that helps.:-))

grandma, Sep 28, 8:55am
So. you put the almond icing on as usual, then the butter icing straight on top!Getting ready early for Christmas and I have my 14th grandchild's christening cake to look forward to making too - wonderful!

245sam, Sep 28, 9:56am
x1
That's it grandma - almond icing on as usual, then the Brandy/butter icing on top and once evenly spread over the cake Mum and I both prefer to give the icing an all over flick with the tip of a knife so that it is not all smoothed out but instead has a 'roughened' surface.
Have you made all the previous 13 grandchildren's Christening cakes! Well done if you have, and in any case.good luck, I hope all goes well with the cake for your 14th Grandchild's Christening.:-))

grandma, Sep 28, 9:12pm
Thanks for the tips 245sam.Yes, I have made all of their cakes, except for the eldest in each family.We (traditionally) used the top cake of their parents' wedding cake for them.