Cottage Cheese Recipe

spuddybuddy, Sep 20, 2:50am
HiJust had my 2nd attempt at making this,and it hasn't given me a great result,hardly andy curds formed.Does anyone have a no fail recipe they can share with me.

Thanks

spuddybuddy, Sep 22, 12:01am
bump,would really appreciate some help here please

geldof, Sep 22, 12:21am
Can you tell us how you made it, then someone might have an idea about what has gone wrong.

I would guess that it will be to do with the temperature of the milk, or the quantity/condition of the 'curding' agent.

fifie, Sep 22, 12:27am
Not sure what you are using to form curds, sounds like thats the problem if your getting small curds. here is a recipe from a good cheese maker on here.
Easy Cottage Cheese.
My mothers recipe= this is greek cottage cheese-just halve quantities
Ingredients: 10 cups whole milk (not homogenised)
3 teaspoons non iodised salt
2 rennet tablets or 2 teaspoons of rennet
1 tablespoon cold boiled water
Heat milk in a heavy pan till lukewarm, stir in salt and remove from heat. crush rennet tablets in a small bowl, add cold (boiled) water and stir till dissolved OR 2 teaspoons liquid rennet mixed with the water. Slowly pour rennet liquid into milk, stiiring gently, cover pan with lid and leave at side of stove, undisturbed for 30 minutes.
when set, break up curds by stirring with a whisk or spoon, then let curds settle for about 5 minutes.Line a colander with a double layer of muslin or cheesecloth or, use a large cotton teatowel. Ladle curds into this, collect whey in a bowl if required.
Let curd drain for a while, then scrape down cheese on sides of cloth and tie ends of cloth together.
Let drain for another 6 hours at room temperature, then suspend from a shelf in the fridge if using a tea towel or muslin Leave for another 12 hours to drain thoroughly.
Turn cheese out of cloth and store in a sealed container in fridge, it will keep for around 4-5 days. from Ashanti T/M who is a good cheese maker.

buzzy110, Sep 22, 2:47am
Many thanks for posting Ashanti's recipe. It is just what I have been looking for. I have an exact recipe but for some reason the writer failed to specify how much milk to use and that is important when figuring out how much rennet to use.

fifie, Sep 22, 3:00am
YW buzzy, Its a matter of getting it all correct with this cheese making eh!Ashanti has good advice for us.Tried her culture for making feta and that worked well, Feta,sundried tomatoes,basil, in olive oil yum for summer and the salads and use the oil up for vinegarette's, nothing wasted lol.

spuddybuddy, Sep 22, 9:55pm
Thanks for that recipe I will have a go at it.I used white vinegar to form the curds as the recipe I used suggested it.Maybe it's the vinegar!Anyway I have some rennet here so will give it a go when I get some fresh milk from the shed this afternoon.