MILK - what is up with it lately?

Page 2 / 2
sarahb5, Sep 8, 8:25am
Happens sometimes!I still don't know if anyone who's milk is going off has taken it back to the supermarket though!

macandrosie, Sep 8, 9:51pm
We are second year dairy farmers & at this time of the year the cows get supplement feed such as crushed grain & molasses, silage &/or baleage on top of grass. It's about getting them in top condition, as they are producing alot of milk & it only increases until November. Their milk doesn't go into the vat till about day 5 after calving as they are producing colostrum. I have used milk straight from the vat - lovely creamy unprocessed stuff, but even though I refrigerate it, it will only keep for 3-4 days. Even if milk starts to go off it's great to bake with, scones, piklets etc. I don't notice any different flavour from the unprocessed milk.

kay141, Sep 8, 10:37pm
I buy the trimmest I can find. 1L lasts me about aweek and it has never goes off on me.

cookiebarrel, Sep 9, 6:44am
Had the same problem with milk going 'off' before it's use by date and kept taking it back to the supermarket, was a bit nasty I guess as after the second bottle I always took it up to the checkout and nicely, but in a clear vioce told them that yet another bottle of milk was 'off' and they very quickly looked into it and found that it was sloppy handling practise by their staff when it came to getting the milk into the fridge asp on delivery and also filling up the trolley with milk to put on the shelf then going and doing something else so miulk sat around for anything up to an hour before going into the chilled milk unit.Problem got solved very quickly, so if the same happens now I go straight to the manager and tell them about it.Did once ring the head place that supplied the milk and complained and that got action too, but prefer to give the store a chance to eliminate the problem first.

cookiebarrel, Sep 9, 6:44am
Had the same problem with milk going 'off' before it's use by date and kept taking it back to the supermarket, was a bit nasty I guess, as after the second bottle I always took it up to the checkout and nicely, but in a clear vioce told them that yet another bottle of milk was 'off', so other customers heard as well and they very quickly looked into it and found that it was sloppy handling practise by their staff when it came to getting the milk into the fridge asp on delivery and also filling up the trolley with milk to put on the shelf then going and doing something else, so milk sat around for anything up to an hour before going into the chilled milk unit.Problem got solved very quickly, so if the same happens now I go straight to the manager and tell them about it.Did once ring the head place that supplied the milk and complained and that got action too, but prefer to give the store a chance to eliminate the problem first.

lilyfield, Sep 9, 6:51am
+another one

sarahb5, Sep 9, 9:56am
Well done - you took action and got a result - seems everyone else is content to just pour their money down the sink and expect the issue to resolve itself without actually telling the supermarket what's happening .

cookiebarrel, Sep 10, 5:57am
They were actually quite pleased that I had let them know and given them a chance to fix it.And they were more than willing to give me a replacement bottle.

sarahb5, Sep 10, 6:41am
I should think so too but imagine how many litres of milk have just been tipped down the sink because the other customers couldn't be bothered .

katie232, Sep 11, 2:06am
What proportion of powdered milkdo you add to water!

holly-rocks, Sep 11, 2:14am
I buy Pams and have no problems at all.

grandma, Sep 11, 3:47am
When I make a cuppa, I stir 1 tsp in the cup. I make up a jug with 4 cups water, 12 Tbsp of milk powder which works out well for me, although I think they say 3 - 4 Tbsp to a cup of water. I always use it for my baking and also white sauces etc too.

wayne472, Sep 11, 7:31am
I used about one tea spoon to A cup of tea or coffee.

Use as much as you like really,the more you use the richer the food tastes,use full cream milk powder only,not skimmed milk powder!

Its really good in mashed spuds with some butter,make it up real strong,yum

wayne472, Sep 11, 7:31am
I use about one tea spoon to A cup of tea or coffee.

Use as much as you like really,the more you use the richer the food tastes,use full cream milk powder only,not skimmed milk powder!

Its really good in mashed spuds with some butter,make it up real strong,yum

245sam, Sep 11, 8:17am
We only occasionally use powdered milk and when we do I have Homebrand Instant Skim Milk powder on hand which when made up as per packet directions = just under/around $1.00 per litre.Milk powder:water ratio = 1:4 e.g. 1 cup milk powder to 4 cups (1 litre) water.:-))

bedge1, Sep 11, 8:21am
Ive had 3 lots of budget milk go off before date also.Bought at same place but on different weeks & been really peed off!Think if I get anymore Im going to start taking it back as its not cheap!