What can you make with cold cooked porridge

Page 1 / 2
wiseoldowl, Sep 9, 12:20am
Once I read about a dessert made with cooked porridge but cant seem to find it I have written down the porridge muffins any ideas please. Husband gets carried away cooking in the mornings.Thanks

lilyfield, Sep 9, 12:38am
Reheat it the next day

winnie231, Sep 9, 12:48am
Pour it into a flat pan & leave to set. Cut into wedges, fry in butter & serve with lashings of golden syrup.

korbo, Sep 9, 12:58am
yes, I often make a big pot, put into bowls, cover with gladwrap and reheat in m/wave next day. everyone reckons it is nicer that way. seems to set somehow.

kassie48, Sep 9, 2:47am
Give it to the birds.

devalois, Sep 9, 4:44am
I agree with kassie48: goodness, me. I can think of nothing more disgusting than cold, claggy porridge: especially the kinda stuff that has not been salted by the 'cook'. devalois

sarahb5, Sep 9, 9:59am
Atholl Brose is oats, whisky, cream and honey - is that what you're thinking of!

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/athollbroserecipe.htm

nellbee, Sep 9, 10:02am
Compost is what I make from cold porridge.

coolnzmum, Sep 9, 10:15am
porridge scones.Kids love them.If you goggle you will find a recipe.

angel404, Sep 9, 10:20am
Can someone tell me how to make nice porridge! I make it for patients at work but because i don't eat it, i have no idea if it tastes ok.

bev00, Sep 9, 10:42am
I got a lovely recipe off here for Sugar Buns (used a cup of cold porridge) .will see if i can locate it. Was a big hit in this household.

bev00, Sep 9, 10:46am
1 Cup cold Porridge
½ Cup Sugar
2 Cups Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Egg
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
Milk (enough to make a stiff dough)
1.Mix all together well.
2.Drop spoonfuls on cold greased tray or muffin pans.
3.Bake 180ºCtill soft and spongy when touched – about 15 minutes.
Eat while warm with butter. Oh la la.

sarahb5, Sep 9, 8:52pm
Well tell us how you make yours and we'll tell you whether it should be nice or not!

I use half milk/half water, soak it overnight and cook it in the microwave in the morning.Love it with apple and cinnamon cooked in there with it and a swirl of apple syrup, or cream and brown sugar if I'm feeling indulgent (and actually have cream in the fridge!)

davidt4, Sep 9, 10:01pm
Atholl Brose does not include cooked porridge.It needs uncooked fineoatmeal.

sarahb5, Sep 9, 10:02pm
I didn't say it did .

irenew, Sep 10, 8:22am
That's how I make it too, though I've become lactose intolerant so use rice milk. It's sooooo delicious, nothing like the lump-infested stuff my mother used to serve up to us :(

irenew, Sep 10, 8:22am
That's similar to how I make it too, minus the apple syrup and sugar. I sometimes add pure maple syrup (not the nasty, artificially flavoured stuff) for added flavour. Having become lactose intolerant I use rice milk. It's sooooo delicious, nothing like the lump-infested stuff my mother used to serve up to us :)

irenew, Sep 10, 8:27am
Oh, and another use for cold porridge is adding it to soups.A cook where I used to study frequently put the left over porridge in the soup at lunch time and it was really good.You wouldn't have known it was porridge if you hadn't been told.

angel404, Sep 10, 8:28am
Ok um compared to the way you make yours, mine is going to be gross. So i put the porridge in a bowl, add hot water (sometimes some salt) and cook in microwave for 10mins. Thats it.

kate113, Sep 10, 9:25am
Poor patients! lol

angel404, Sep 10, 9:31am
I know but this is how I'm TOLD to make it! Personally I would never eat it and Id love to make it with cinnamon and make it with milk but theres no cinnamon available and i might get told off if i make it different lol

irenew, Sep 10, 9:37am
If you soak the oatmeal overnight it doesn't need so much cooking. I just do 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup (rice) milk, pinch salt,, big pinch cinnamon, then microwave for 2 minutes.Then I give it a stir and might need to give it an extra minute or so, depending on how runny it is.Shouldn't need 10 mins.

angel404, Sep 10, 9:47am
IF i try to soak it overnight no doubt it will just get biffed by the night staff. Soaking it isn't an option. We are so limited - no wonder the food is yuck.
ALso its cooked for 10mins coz I'm making it up in bulk.Im feeding 10 people.

bev00, Sep 10, 11:17am
PORRIDGE MUFFINS
BOWL 1
1/2 C Oil
1 Grated Apple
2 Eggs
1 C Cooked Porridge
1/2 C Sultanas
1/2 C Coconut
1 tspn Van Ess
Mix till no lumps.
BOWL 2
1 C Flour
2/3 C Brown Sugar
1 tspn BP
1 tspn BS
1 tspn Cinnamon
Mix well.
Add Bowl 2 to bowl 1 and just mix.
Spoon into muffin tins.
Bake 15 mins at 180

Quotelx4000 (778 )1:26 pm,

jerrytravis, Sep 10, 11:22am
reheat it by adding extra brown sugar and cream. serve with hot buttered toast.