What do you cook when you need cheering up?

Page 1 / 2
bella95, Aug 11, 5:55am
Feeling really down today and would love to know what others cook as 'cheer up foods'. Thought it might be fun to start a thread and get some ideas.

rainrain1, Aug 11, 6:00am
I've been thinking about one of those sticky topped, shop bought, big cream buns for days now.perhaps I need cheering up

geldof, Aug 11, 6:13am
When I'm feeling down, I just cook.
Nothing in particular, but find it helps me relax and have more positive thoughts.
Will often try out new baking recipes, or do some experimenting.

The freezer gets filled and I do jams chutneys and other preserves.

firemansgirl, Aug 11, 9:29am
Custard Square. mmmmmmm.

daisyhill, Aug 11, 9:49am
I think I would turn to anything that reminds me of childhood and being safe and happy at home. My mum is a great cook and particularly good at baking, and the kitchen really was at the heart of our family life so there are lots of good memories.

Cheese scones would be high on my list, that's for sure. It's hard to feel sad when you are enjoying a cheese scone fresh from the oven, dripping with butter and accompanied by a mug of tea :-)And something like scones is easy to share, which is also a mood lifter. Baking for somebody else is more satisfying than just baking for myself.

village.green, Aug 11, 11:13am
Rice pudding.if you've got the time! (cooked in the oven)

donna_jo29, Aug 11, 11:25am
well i usually drink heaps of water that fills you up and then you dont get a craving too cook.otherwise i like popcorn with caramel sauce. the one you use with sticky date pudding

davidt4, Aug 11, 10:14pm
Roast free range chicken with tarragon & ricotta.

winnie231, Aug 11, 10:22pm
I 2nd the idea of scones.
The satisfaction of biting into a warm, freshly baked scone dripping with butter within half an hour of having the idea is like a cuddle from the inside :)

veejay13, Aug 11, 10:36pm
I cook bread.the lovely smell makes me feel sooooooo good.

daisyhill, Aug 11, 11:22pm
I love that! That's exactly what eating a fresh scone is like. Cuddles in my tummy :-)

indy95, Aug 12, 12:07am
Great description ! I also get the same feeling from a dinner based on a roast free-range chicken with plenty of vegetables.

kate282, Aug 12, 12:25am
Depends on the kind of cheering up I need.If it's a cold and lonely feeling night then a chocolate self saucing pudding in miniature.

If it's general gloom then home made ravioli with something that feels a bit decadent to me like blue cheese and pumpkin.

bo0tsey, Aug 12, 1:07am
Something that tastes amazing and you can share!

I love cooking soups on Sundays for my work lunches
I love making truffles (no baking required!) I used to have the recipe on the MB somewhere but that was over a year ago so its disappeared now, but basically is crushed biscuits and condensed milk and whatever flavour you want - strawberry essence, peppermint etc and then coated in melted chocolate

ange164, Aug 12, 1:31am
chocolate self saucing pudding is very good food for a pity party.

spacecowgirl, Aug 12, 1:35am
Macaroni and cheese! Yummo

motorbo, Aug 12, 1:46pm
hmmm date scones

sarahb5, Aug 13, 12:06am
Ooohh yes - that's what Mr 17 cooks when he's bored but we all benefit.I try not to cook when I'm fed up because I'm doing WW but I keep a pinky bar in the freezer for those times.

valentino, Aug 13, 12:16am
I used to love those Buzz Bars from a freezer, now you got my taste buds working. also those pink and white frosted bars. LOL.

huia991, Aug 13, 2:43am
toasted corn and cheese sandwiches

cosimo, Aug 13, 4:09am
potato and cheese fritters - like mum used to make!

kinna54, Aug 13, 4:43am
shortbread. The gentle kneading of the dough is very therapeutic.and the warm buttery smell coming from the oven on a wet old day is just great.
Just taken some from the oven.mmmmmm

nfh1, Aug 13, 5:04am
Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pud, Roast Potatoes and veges - I could not possibly be sad eating that.

rainrain1, Aug 13, 5:15am
food would have the opposite effect on me.I would have to go for a walk or shopping to cheer me up

agnes8, Aug 13, 5:30am
same here.reminds me of my lovely Mum and Dad and ( I realise now) my privileged childhood.especially loved the buttery/nutmegy skin on the top of the Rice pudding when it came out of the oven.some things you never forget !