What do you cook when you need cheering up?

Page 2 / 2
daisyhill, Aug 13, 6:37am
Ha ha, my mum used to try to feed us baked rice pudding, or baked custard, and we kids all hated it because of the nutmeggy skin! She was going back to her own happy childhood memories of that dish but did not manage to instil the same feelings in her children ;-)

agnes8, Aug 13, 6:48am
oops.had to quickly check that you weren't one of my kids (with a new username) as I am sure my kids loved the rice pud I made the same way as my Mum did.and you aren't.phew !

pom-pom, Aug 13, 8:43am
+1!

karlymouse, Aug 14, 7:55am
I love rice pudding,especially made with basmati rice and cream. something about the texture I think,others I know really dislike it.

iman007, Aug 15, 5:18am
i cook to make others feel better.

tanz101, Aug 15, 11:50pm
microwave potato chips:
If potatoes are old, peel and slice thin, less than 4mm thickness (paper thin), slicing across the potato. If the potatoes are new or good skins, DO NOT PEEL, just scrub well, then slice them less than 4mm thickness (paper thin), slicing across the potato. Place potato slices in a bowl, sprinkle with some salt (if desired) cover with cold water and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove potato slices in batches onto paper toweling and pat very dry. Cut two pieces of wax paper to fit your microwave plate and brush both with oil. Place the sliced potatoes flat on the oiled side of the paper, in a single layer, sprinkle with your choice of herbs or spices or just leave them plain (onion salt and garlic salt are good enough - but you can use stocks, chilli powder, paprika.) place the 2nd oiled paper oily side down and pat lightly onto the potatoes. Microwave on HIGH (full power) for 5 to 6 minutes or until they curl slightly and are a very light brown in color - they WILL go hard and crunchy like real potato chips.just keep cooking them till you see this happen. Cooking time will vary, depending on the wattage of your microwave and the thickness of the slices. The thinner the slices, the quicker they cook and the tastier they are. You do not have to turn the sliced potatoes over. Sprinkle with sea salt after they are done. After the first batch is done, just check there is still oil on both pieces of paper and do the 2nd batch, you may find the 2nd and subsequent batches take less time to curl and brown as the muicrowave will have heated up. Variation: after removing chips from microwave, sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese, zap for a few seconds to melt the cheese, then add a dab of sour cream.

dixiechicks, Aug 16, 12:43am
Hey, cosimo, would love this recipe if you'd care to share, thanks

iman007, Aug 16, 1:35am
hash cookies also work, so im told

zuggle, Aug 16, 9:05am
With a heart condition I follow a healthy diet but if I'm feeling down I like to break out and have macaroni cheese or make a really decadent self-saucing chocolate pudding in the microwave! Feel heaps better for having been naughty as much as having something different, haha.