Chinese Five Spice

kirmag, Aug 15, 10:44pm
Is it something we have here in NZ!Trying to find it for a recipe, might just be my local supermarket doesn't have it. or is it not in NZ at all!If not, anyone know what the 5 spices are! TIA :)

pericles, Aug 15, 10:45pm
we have it

sossie1, Aug 15, 10:47pm
It's in all the big supermarkets

dezzie, Aug 15, 10:47pm
its usually there in the herbs and spices, greggs brand is the one I use.
New world should have it.

kirmag, Aug 15, 10:47pm
Ok cool, just need to look at another market then.Thanks!

kirmag, Aug 15, 10:48pm
Yeh that's where I was looking, our local New World usually has all the different things, but no luck with this.

245sam, Aug 15, 10:53pm
IMO very very unusual that you couldn't find Chinese Five Spice at your local New World - I agree absolutely with you that it's usually a case of being able to find anything at New World that can't be found at Pak n Save and/or Countdown.Here's what you need to look for:

http://www.greggs.co.nz/products/herbs-and-spices/seasoning-blends/greggs-chinese-five-spice

kirmag, Aug 15, 10:54pm
ohhh duh me!I was having a quick scan thru the Cs probably under the Fs which woulda been an even quicker scan.Thanks for the pic. that'll help lots :)

245sam, Aug 15, 11:07pm
You're most welcome, and IMO very likely to be quite correct re needing to look amongst the Fs rather than the Cs - I find it really difficult to believe that your New World don't stock the C 5 spice but if for some reason they haven't got it in stock have a look also amongst the Masterfoods products for:

http://www.masterfoods.co.nz/Products/ProductDetail/tabid/83/ProductId/1488/Chinese-Five-Spice.aspx

nauru, Aug 16, 4:02am
Masterfoods also do it too, available in most Smarkets

camper18, Aug 16, 5:24am
Even Binn Inn have it

macandrosie, Aug 16, 10:02am
Yes we have it & prawns bbq-ed with a coating of chinese 5 spice are really scrummy! Here's the recipe.
Chinese Five Spice, Chilli & Garlic Prawns
¼ cup flour
1 tsp each of Chinese Five Spice, garlic salt
½ tsp ground chilli
¼ cup extra flour
500gr prawn cutlets, peeled with tails on
1 egg white lightly beaten
2 tabs oil
Coriander sprigs & lemon wedges to serve
Combine the first lot of flour with the five spice, garlic salt & chilli powder. Place the extra flour in a bowl & coatthe prawns, then dust off excess. Dip the prawns in egg white then dip the prawns in seasoned flour. Heat the oil in pan, then pan fry till golden brown each side,(about 3-4 mins). Nice also served with lime & lemon aioli.

daisyhill, Aug 16, 11:16am
I was in the Mad Butcher grocery part (what is that, the Mad Grocer!) this evening and noticed packets of five spice. Their spices in the plastic bags are far cheaper than the glass jars in supermarkets. Their seeds and lentils and whatnot are much cheaper too.

kirmag, Aug 16, 8:03pm
mmmm macandrosie that does sound gooood!

Found it at my local New World yesterday. under the Fs so all ready to make my chinese dishes now yum yum!

village.green, Aug 16, 8:31pm
It is a really useful spice(s) to have on hand. In fact Michael MacIntyre has a very funny sketch about spices with a big mention at the end about Five Spice that I think people would relate to.