Bread maker recipe help

bo0tsey, Aug 12, 12:31am
I used a friends bread maker a lot when I lived with her family and it was always so easy and the bread came out perfect. I got a breadmaker on CRT rewards and tried my first go earlier this year and was so disappointed!

First, the recipe calls for "bread improver" which is a separate ingredient to yeast and I have no idea what this is

Second, the bread maker really didn't mix the ingredients properly, some of it ended up stuck on the side not being mixed up.

Third, a bit of flour must have gotten on the element and let off a burning smell.

So can anyone help with the first two issues! The third I can deal with!

ange164, Aug 12, 12:42am
I cant help with 2, but in the absence of any one else yet
Re: Improver - use sure-bake yeast, that has bread improver in it already.Usual ratio is 3 teaspoons to 450g flour (3 per loaf really.)

The flour puffing out thing and getting on the element can be dealt to by putting a damp dish cloth over top of the dish when it first starts mixing. Just till the ingredients stop "poufing" the flour. Don't leave it on there, you don't want a dish cloth baked into your bread.And load up the pan outside of the bread maker, so no bits can fall down the side when you're putting the ingredients in.

bo0tsey, Aug 12, 12:50am
Good advice thanks! Have got the Surebake yeast on my shopping list now. My breadmaker is a Breville BBM100. I do my shopping online at Countdown and then pick it up as I live out of town and hate wasting an hour in the supermarket! Will probably tackle you recipe next wknd kinna54

bo0tsey, Aug 12, 12:53am
Wow kinna, your first recipe for french bread is very different to mine in the manual!

Here it is. french bread 750g
water 310ml
oil 2tsp
salt 1 1/4 tsp
sugar 2tsp
bread flour 3 1/3 cups
bread improver 3/4 tsp
yeast 1 1/4 tsp

BTW. what is bread flour!

kinna54, Aug 12, 1:47am
My recipe is from the NZ conversion book.and it is old.(it is tried and true,) have had my bread maker many many years.
Your recipe reads as being the Aussie or international version. Yes the recipes are Vastly different!
And I would say that bread flour is a high gluten flour. Aussie flour has different grades just like we have High grade etc.
I use Pams or Homebrand High grade flour in all my bread.
*There should be a contact on the back of your manual for Breville:* if you ask they can send you an NZ supplement book . I have a free phone number on my manual 0800 273 235.as far as I know it is still current.

bo0tsey, Aug 12, 1:51am
There are a heap of notes throughout the book eg "NZ only: we recommend the use of Elfin brand yeast" but yes there is a number on the back of the manual that I can call, good idea

eastie3, Aug 12, 2:21am
Bread flour is the High Grade flour,I buy Pams.

veejay13, Aug 12, 2:35am
Mine's a Sunbeamand the recipes with it are Australian.However I use Alison Holst's recipe - and the ingredients must be put in the pan in this order.
One and a quarter cups plus 2 Tblespl. warm water.
2 Tblesp. oil (I use Ricebran)
2 teasp. sugar.
One and a half teasp. salt.
2 Tablesp. skim milk pwdr.
3 cups Champion Highgrade flour (or 2 cups white Highgrade and 1 cup wholemeal flour)
I haven't had many flops, but did find in the winter months the pan itself is verycold and so cools the warm water in the recipe.I've overcome this byputting hot water (NOT the ingredient water) intothe pan while I measure the ingredients.

nauru, Aug 12, 4:33am
Issue 1 - Same as poster 2 said.
Issue 2 - Sometimesthis happens to me so I usually take a plastic spatula and scrape down the sides and all the bits get mixed in.This seems to work well for me.

veejay13, Aug 12, 4:51am
Silly me left off the most important ingredient of all - the yeast.Should be 3 teaspoons of Edmonds Surebake yeast, and put in the pan last, after the flour.Sorry about that.

gerry64, Aug 13, 12:30am
The book that came with my breadmaker uses butter - can I use oil instead!

korbo, Aug 13, 3:50am
yes gerry- you sure can. I use oil all the time in my breadmaker. my mum used to use margarine.loaves always seemed ok.

camper18, Aug 13, 5:14am
Use Kinna54's recipe. Its great and saved my sanity after having big problems when I changed breadmakers, and Iv'e been making bread for over 15yrs almost daily.

bo0tsey, Aug 13, 9:48am
Definitely try flavoured oils, sundried tomato, garlic etc mmmm savoury bread!

bo0tsey, Aug 21, 6:59am
Made this one at the wknd, very nice but a little sweet for my taste! And no problems like first time! yay :D

Have you got any of the savoury recipes! So I can put flavoured oil in!

phil85, Aug 21, 7:40am
Would like a recipe with seeds in it, kibbled wheat, sunflower, pumpkin, etc if anyones got a good one. Thanks :-)

sarahb5, Aug 21, 8:15am
I got one off here a couple of weeks ago - will see if I can find the thread and bump it for you.

sarahb5, Aug 21, 8:16am
Courtesy of village.green:

Here's one I've done many times from the book:
Five Seed Bread
3tsp Surebake yeast
1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tbs warm water
2 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
2 Tbs lecithin granules or oil
1.5 cups high grade flour
1.5 cups wholemeal flour
1/4 cup each sunflower, pumpkin, poppy and raw or toasted sesame seeds
2 Tbs linseeds
In bread machine, set to the normal/white cycle, medium crust and start or use the dough cycle and shape as you want.
Notes: change the seeds around as you wish and if you do use sesame, they are really nice toasted first. It keeps well and makes good toast