Ginger cake recipe from Alleluya Cafe Foodtown Mag

peterbk, Aug 21, 9:19pm
Can anone give me the Alleluya Cafe Ginger Cake recipe that was published in foodtown magazine Oct/Nov 2008. I have found reference to it online but it gave a modified recipe and i would like the original please.
I want to make it for my MIL 80th birthday coming up soon. If anyone can help i would be very grateful
Many thanks
Jacqueline

245sam, Aug 21, 9:41pm
Here you are peterbk/Jacqueline.

Alleluya Bar & Cafe's GINGER CAKE
2 eggs
1 cup each ofsugar,canola oil,golden syrup
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup warm water
Icing:
50g butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
2 tsp ground ginger
1 cup icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 160°C.Line the base and sides of a 23cm-diameter cake pan.Ensure the paper comes right up the sides of the pan.
Beat together the eggs, sugar, oil and golden syrup until well mixed.
Combine the dry ingredients and stir them into the egg mixture.Mix in the water. This makes a very thin batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Place the pan on an oven tray in the oven and bake for 60-80 minutes, or, a thin skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Leave the cake in the pan for 2 days before turning out and icing.
To make the icing, heat all the ingredients until the butter is melted.Mix well.Cool and spread over the cake.
Serve the ginger cake with whipped cream.
Makes about 10 wedges.
Thanks to Alleluya Bar & Cafe, St Kevins Arcade Karangahape Rd, Auckland - Owner: Peter Hawkesby.Chef: Linley Scott.

Hope your MIL has a very Happy 80th Birthday.:-))

lavender32, Aug 21, 10:14pm
Why does it have to be left in tin for 2 days! Is it an issue if you take it out once cooled! What would the difference be!

245sam, Aug 21, 10:22pm
lavender32, I haven't made that cake but IMO there is a lot of 'wet' ingredients (eggs, oil, golden syrup and water) in proportion to the amount of flour so it appears to me that it would be a very soft cake and I assume that the cake needs time to firm up for ease of handling.: -))

peterbk, Aug 21, 10:37pm
Thank you very very much Sam
This is such a great recipe forum, people are so generous sharing their recipes and time.
Thankyou so much
Jacqueline

245sam, Aug 21, 10:42pm
My pleasure Jacqueline - that cake is obviously something that should make your MIL's 80th Birthday even more special, so hope it goes well for you.:-))