Help needed for marrow recipes - also in general

royboy3, Jan 24, 8:43pm
x1
My neighbour grew an enormous marrow and made some pretty disgusting soup with it. She came over with a sample laughing at how bad it was and set me a challenge with half a huge marrow to make something really nice. Never tried cooking marrow and have no idea. Help is needed please, any great recipes?

245sam, Jan 24, 8:50pm
SAVOURY STUFFED MARROW
1 medium-sized vegetable marrow
1 tbsp dripping or oil
1 onion, chopped
350g minced beef
5 tsp flour
150ml beef stock
2 or 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
salt and pepper
1 tsp vinegar
50g-60g each of fresh breadcrumbs and grated cheese

Trim off the ends of the marrow, halve it lengthways and scoop out the seeds. If the marrow is too long for your largest saucepan, halve each section across the middle. Put the marrow halves/pieces into boiling salted water & cook them for about ¼ hour until just tender. Drain carefully and as thoroughly as possible – I tip the pieces upside down on to paper towels and allow them to drain that way, then turn them over and fill the hollows with more paper towels. Meanwhile heat the dripping or oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until it is beginning to brown.
Add the minced beef and stir it over the heat until it is browned. Mix in the flour, stock, tomatoes, seasoningand vinegar. Simmer on a very low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally – it should be a very thick mixture - if necessary, stir in some of the breadcrumbs.
Place the marrow halves/pieces in a baking dish, making sure that they sit upright. Fill the marrow hollows with the mince filling.
Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together and sprinkle this topping over the mince filling. Pour a little water around the marrow halves/pieces, then cover the dish loosely with foil.
Bake at 190°C for 20-30 minutes until heated through – it may be necessary to remove the foil for the last few minutes to allow the breadcrumb/cheese topping to crispen.

More marrow recipes can be found at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=23&t=545

dezzie, Jan 24, 10:28pm
we make zuchinni (well overgrown zuchinni) pie.
With your kitchen whizz, zoom up about a kilo of marrow, 1 large onion, 4 rashers of bacon, 4 eggs, 1 cup of flour, and about 300 grams of tasty cheese, add some fresh ground black pepper, then pour into a pie dish and cook at 150 until it pulls away from the sides and is set firm in the middle, takes about an hour.

elliehen, Jan 25, 12:19am
Pioneer grandmothers used to stuff a large marrow with a traditional sage and onion breadcrumb stuffing, roast it and slice it. It was sometimes called 'Colonial Goose'.

pickles7, Jan 25, 12:24am
... . elliehen... . you must be feeling secure... . re; "colonial goose"mmm lol

davidt4, Jan 25, 12:25am
Colonial Goose was a leg of mutton or hogget stuffed with poultry stuffing.

kiwigoldie, Jan 25, 2:30am
Just use the marrow instead of the courgettes... . . The latest NZ Gardener newsletter has a recipe for courgette chutney: 500g onions; 1. 5 kgs courgettes; 500g ripe tomatoes; 100g pitted dates; 50g sultanas; 500ml malt vinegar; 2 tsp allspice; 2 tsp ground ginger; 2 tbsp salt; 2 tsp ground black pepper; 1. 5kg soft brown sugar. Chop the onions, cut courgettes into small chunks, peel and slice the tomatoes and chop the dates. Put in a large pot with the sultanas and half the vinegar. Simmer until the ingredients soften, then add spices, salt and pepper and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in the sugar and remaining vinegar then simmer slowly until thick. Pour into hot, clean jars and seal with airtight, vinegar-proof covers.

elliehen, Jan 25, 2:47am
Very INsecure... I think I've just been given a detention ;)

elliehen, Jan 25, 3:26am
Back in class again! The stuffed roasted marrow was 'Poor Man's Goose'.

davidt4, Jan 25, 3:41am
Poor Man's Goose was made from pig's liver and sometimes other offal. No marrow as far as I am aware.

elliehen, Jan 25, 3:49am
Maybe turn-of-the-20th-century New Zealand cooks applied the European name of'Poor Man's Goose' to the humble roasted stuffed marrow, because I have that in writing in an old handwritten recipe book.

davidt4, Jan 25, 7:07am
"Mock Colonial Goose" perhaps.

eastie3, Jan 25, 7:27am
We had to eat that mince and marrow dish as kids, I can remember how disgusting it was. My brother used to fill his pockets with it. I wonder if it tastes any better to a 'grown up' ?

tracey99, Jan 26, 7:59am
I cut it into thick slices; season it with a little bit of olive oil or rice bran oil spray (whatever is in the cupboard) and Greggs Garlic and Herb Sald and grill it on the BBQ. Very NICE!

elliehen, Jul 26, 12:02pm
Bumped for sqiggles