Alison holsts/steamed pud

whitehead., Aug 29, 4:56am
i would like the one she uses for one person and is steamed in a cup as ive lost her book . thanks

245sam, Aug 29, 5:21am
Do you recall which of Alison's books that recipe is in, whitehead!

whitehead., Aug 29, 6:49am
no i dont but it was one of the early ones ether 2/4/5 its not in 3 ive looked

245sam, Aug 29, 6:58am
whitehead, the recipe is coming asap - I hope it's the one you're wanting.Page 34in Alison Holst's Kitchen Diary Volume 5.:-))

245sam, Aug 29, 7:15am
Here you are whitehead.

STEAMED MINI PUDDING
For 1 serving:
2 tsp (10g) butter
1 rounded household tsp golden syrup
2 tbsp milk
scant ¼ tsp baking soda
¼ cup flour
Sauce:
1 tsp butter
1 rounded household tsp golden syrup
¼ cup hot water
few drops essenceorlemon juice

From Alison: “I steamed my mini-puddings in individual dessert bowls. I used Chinese bowls, which are deeper than normal dessert bowls - but there is nothing to stop you using a shallowish bowl or if you prefer a taller, unmoulded pudding, a large cup makes a good mini-pudding basin.
If you are an impatient cook and like to see fast results for your efforts, cook your 'mini-pud' uncovered.Once the water surrounding the pudding is bubbling gently, and it is surrounded by steam, it will take about 12 minutes to cook.Then you can lift it out of the pot. leave it to stand for 2-3 minutes while the sauce thickens a little bit. then unmould it onto a pudding plate-and you will have a perfect little pudding, covered with sauce.
If you prefer the traditional approach, cover the mini-pudding-container with aluminium foil, and steam it for 30-35 minutes.
Whichever method you choose, you should stand your pudding on something which will lift it from the bottom of the saucepan, because it is easy to let a saucepan boil dry.You can use a saucer. a butter dish, or a piece of crumpled foil.
This recipe will make one fairly generous, or two small servings.

First make the pudding. Measure 2 level measuring tsp (or 1 rounded household tspful) of butter into a small saucepan.Heat until butter is melted then add a rounded household tspful of golden syrup.Stir until the syrup softens, .then remove from the heat.
Add the milk, stir to mix, and feel the heat of the mixture.If it is warmer than lukewarm, stand the pot in cold water to cool it down, before adding the baking soda.(If the mixture is warm it will be frothy when the soda is stirred in, and the pudding will not rise while it cooks.)
Stir in the flour.Do not mix until smooth, mix just until the dry ingredients are dampened.The mixture should not look completely smooth.
Select a suitable 'bowl' for the pudding (see above) and butter it using the 1 tsp butter listed in the sauce ingredients.Drizzle the golden syrup from the sauce ingredients over the butter, then drop the pudding mixture into the bowl.Do not smooth it, but let it stay in a ‘blob’.
To ¼ cup hot tap water add a few drops of vanilla, rum essence, or lemon juice, for extra flavour, then pour this around the pudding.
Cover the bowl with foil if you prefer to cook a mixture like this covered, or if you plan to cook it
in a pot with, for example, potatoes and carrots.Otherwise. leave it uncovered.
Put a butter dish, saucer, or piece of crumpled foil in the pot to keep the bowl off the bottom, and have water bubbling in the pot at least 1 cm (½”) deep.Put the pudding in, cover the pot tightly, and make sure the water stays boiling gently all the time the pudding cooks.
Cook the uncovered pudding 10-12 minutes, and the covered pudding 30-35 minutes. until a knife inserted in the centre shows cooked mixture.
Leave to stand for 1-2 minutes. then unmould.

Variation:Replace the golden syrup from the sauce with 1-2 tsp marmalade to make a steamed pudding with a marmalade sauce.

To microwave the pudding:Put the pudding in a shallowish rather than a tall high containeri.e. the bowl instead of the cup.
Cooking times will vary according to the temperature of the tap water and the shape of the dish.
As soon as the batter in the thickest part of the pudding springs back when touched, the pudding is cooked - this will be about 2 minutes.
If you make these puddings often. buy a packet of Rawleighs Butterscotch Pudding mix and add 1 tsp to the sauce mixture.It gives the sauce an even better colour and flavour.":-))

whitehead., Aug 29, 9:26am
thank youthankyouthankyou