Cooked Shredded Chicken - HELP :)

rachsta, Aug 29, 3:35am
This may be a silly question, but where can I get "plain" cooked shredded chicken from for sandwiches etc without any flavouring, nothing added! I have several allergies and most I've found add the things I can't have to it.

tam39, Aug 29, 3:55am
Just make your own then there will be enough to last you all week.

245sam, Aug 29, 3:58am
rachsta, have you considered cooking some chicken yourself!It's very quick and easy to poach a chicken breast or two and you could then flavour the chicken as you like taking into acount your "several allergies".
I have a couple of recipes that we like - one has orange juice, soy sauce, fresh ginger and five spice powder; the other recipe has onion, tarragon, bay leaf, salt, peppercorns, water and optional wine.
Would you like either/both of those recipes!:-))

wayneandjudith, Aug 29, 4:16am
Put some boneless chicken breasts or thighs into a large pan and completely cover with cold water. Add whatever flavours you want, (as suggested above), bring to the boil, simmer for ONE minute. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Don't lose track of the time either when bringing to the boil or after the 20 m is up. They cook really well like this, I read this method on here a long time ago and do it all the time. Freeze the flavoured stock for soups etc later. Charlies Orange Juice bottles are good for freezing/storing liquids as they are PBA-free.

wayneandjudith, Aug 29, 4:16am
245sam - I would love those recipes please!

elsielaurie1, Aug 29, 4:19am
Ditto this.

245sam, Aug 29, 4:29am
ok, here are those recipes for poached chicken.They're both deliciously moist and nicely flavoured low-fat options for cooking chicken that we particularly enjoy for sandwiches or in wraps.

POACHED CHICKEN{1}
½ cup each ofsoy sauceandorange juice
1½ cups water - I rarely use this quantity, if any, of water
3 x 2∙5cm thick slices fresh ginger, mashed
½ tsp 5-spice powder
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Bring all the liquids and spices to a boil.Reduce to a simmer and add the whole chicken breasts. Cover the pot and simmer very low for 2 minutes, then turn the chicken over and simmer for 2 minutes.Cool the chicken in the liquid.When cool, remove and slice the chicken diagonally.If not needed until the next day the chicken can be left in the broth and refrigerated.

POACHED CHICKEN{2}
2 cups water OR 1 cup each of water and white wine
a little salt
peppercorns
1 small bay leaf
sprig of tarragon (or use dried tarragon if fresh is not available)
1 small onion, sliced
500g chicken breast fillets

Bring all the ingredients, except the chicken, to the boil, then add the chicken.Cover, reduce the heat and poach for 8 minutes.Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely in the stock; then cut into strips or slices.:-))

wayneandjudith, Aug 29, 10:18am
Great thank you!

cookiebarrel, Aug 29, 11:15am
Thank you 245sam

rachsta, Aug 30, 12:47am
Thank you everyone. So very, very much! If anyone has allergies or would like to try then I also have the most amazing glutenfree pizza base recipe that I've used about 4 times in as many days LOL.

jude343, Aug 30, 9:53am
when my kids were little a dietition, gave me this recipe.
boil a chicken, with an onion andseasoned.
when cooked, remove chicken, liquid is then chicken stock or add veges .soup.
slice thinly the breast, serve with roast veges or salad.
legs, thighs etc use as a rice rissotto base.
1chicken makes x3 meals

seasiders, Aug 30, 10:01am
Yes please!

rachsta, Aug 30, 10:39pm
Here it is! I've made it for several now, and everyone LOVES it. I made it twice yesterday because I've missed pizza SO MUCH. The ingredients are really cheap to get (health food stores etc) and for the tapioca flour we had none and just used "Arrowroot substitute" that was like $2 for a small box. http://www.theglutenfreevegan.com/2009/08/authentic-pizza-crust/ let me know how you get on :)

rachsta, Aug 30, 10:40pm
Oh and the mixture is quite sticky, so I just put a bit of oil ontop of the baking paper and its perfect haha.

seasiders, Sep 1, 2:01am
thanks you :)