One very sick 'Chef'

donnabeth, Aug 30, 9:01am
Can anyone give me an idea what could be wrong with my Kenwood Chef, and how much I could expect to pay to fix it! Is it worth buying a new one!(Much as I'd love to replace it with a Kitchenaide, there's no way it's ever happening) I still do big family cakes and make sausages with it.

It has given 39 years of faithful service and until yesterday was still going strong. As it was creaming the butter and sugar as usual, the motor made a slowing down noise, then it wound down and stopped altogether. After a short rest, it started again as usual, but almost immediately wound down and stopped for good. There is no odd noise or smell with it, so not sure if it's mechanical or electrical.

kuaka, Aug 30, 9:05am
If it's 39 years old, it has done well, but could still be worth fixing.As to what's wrong with it, maybe it's just worn out, but a phone call to your local appliance repair place might be a good idea.It would be sad to see it go to the tip.

245sam, Aug 30, 9:08am
donnabeth, my DH suggests that the problem with your Kenwood Chef is that a bearing is probably worn out and causing the shaft to seize and consequently the motor to stop.He can't really tell you with any certainty what the repair cost would be, but possibly in the range of $100!

Hope that helps.Good luck.:-))

peter5364, Aug 30, 9:10am
Sorry to hear this, I,m pleased mine is still working! It sounds like yours does a lote more work than mine.

donnabeth, Aug 30, 9:27am
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. The repair shop wants $75 just to look at it. Sentiment aside, I have to say it has worked very hard for many years, but a couple of the wires in the whisk are broken, it's got lots of scratches and unidentifiable remains stuck in crevices. Maybe in the cold light of day I should just replace it.

We have what we call 'the tip shop' here(it's the recycling centre based at the tip). the bloke there takes any appliances regardless of condition and uses the parts to sell or repair other appliances. Who knows, I might be able to go in there one day and buy it back cheaper than it would cost to repair.

skull, Aug 30, 9:28am
Certainly have it looked at before you scrap it, far better the devil you know and love. Someone like P.D. Patton should have the knowledge to work on it for you.

griffo4, Aug 30, 9:56pm
Worth fixing they built them to last back then
they always charge to look at it but that seems a bit steep,
can you shop around for a cheaper "look at it price"!

donnabeth, Aug 31, 12:05am
I treated myself to a new one. With all the deals going on this weekend, I decided to buy a smaller model which still has a powerful motor, and added a new stick mixer set and iron into the bargain. I might list the old one on here in case there is someone with the skills to fix it.

carlos57, Aug 31, 5:53am
It's a shame you're not in Palmerston North. We have a great appliance repair shop that fixed my Kenwood and put a new plug on it for $40!

ngacooky, Aug 31, 7:44am
can i ask who that is carlos!

hoonchic, Aug 31, 10:16am
Can someone recommend a place in auckland I could take my one its making some not so nice nioses please

carlos57, Sep 1, 6:12am
Sorry, hadn't been back on here. It's Martin Electrical, in Fitzherbert Ave, near the Square :)

dreamers, Sep 1, 7:51am
Rankin Mc manus are on Dominion road.They are good with Kenwoods and other repairs .

indy95, Sep 2, 5:16am
I second that ! It will be a very sad day when that business no longer exists. He tells you whether an appliance is worth fixing or not and his charges are very reasonable.

r.g.nixon, Sep 2, 5:22am
My wife just said the exact same thing just now. We've had several things repaired there, including a netbook cable which he put a new end on for $12.

nauru, Sep 2, 5:35am
Thanks for sharing that information, I will make a note for future reference as wondered where there might be such a place locally.

indy95, Sep 2, 5:48am
Don't be surprised if you have trouble actually getting through the door, nauru. He is so popular there are usually TV sets and various other appliances stacked up where ever there is a space.

rover79, Sep 3, 8:03am
why don't you take it there and tell him if he can fix it you'll buy it back!