Sausage pie

obsidianwings, Aug 2, 1:48am
We have some venison sausage, partner is keen for a pie with it. Have been googling for recipes but haven't really found anything of interest, anyone got a nice sausage pie recipe!

jessie981, Aug 2, 2:06am
Have you checked out the lefthand message board! Under keyword put sausage pie & under date posted put last year. Some there.

obsidianwings, Aug 2, 2:18am
I did that and it seemed to be alot of threads with the words sausage and pie in them but haven't come across a sausage pie recipe yet. Thanks though, will look again.

245sam, Aug 2, 2:32am
obsidianwings, are any of the following recipes of use!They're from the former Trademe Cooks.
"Sausage and Rice Pie
Flakey pastry. 1 cup cooked rice. 1 pkt sausage meat. 1 grated apple. 1 egg. 1 tsp curry powder. 1/2 grated onion. 1 large Tbsp tomato relish or sauce.Line plate with pastry. Mix all ingredients together. Finish with pastry on top. Bake hot oven 1/2 hr. Kids love it.posted by mikew

Sausage Pie
I use the frozen flakey pastry and line a pie dish,or you can roll it out and add the sausage meat mixture and roll it up like a giant sausage roll. I throw an onion into food processor and and egg and 1x grated apple with a good amount of thyme and some fresh breadcrumbs along with the sausage meat. Combine well and put onto pastry. Roll up,decorated top and brush with beaten egg. posted by brianmac

i make mine the same as bacon and egg pie but use chorizo or kransky sausages in it. Slice and saute the sossies, add sun dried tomato (previously soaked in boiling water), a handful of fresh chopped parsley, eggs and thats it. Oooh, some parmesan cheese too if you have it.posted by mummy708

Sausage & apple cottage pie
Pre-cook the sausages, and slice and spread into an oven dish, stew some apples, stir in a little curry powder, place this over the sausages and then top with mashed potato. Bake until the potato browns - You could sprinkle top with breadcrumbs and dot with butter if you wanted, or grate some cheese over. posted by seabird3

Sausage meat pie
You can vary this as much as you like. 2 tubes of sausage meat, 1 packet of puff pastry (or sheets) eggs, canned or fresh tomatoes & peas. Line a roasting dish with half-3/4 of the packet of pastry, mix sausage meat with some chopped onion (you can add curry or any other seasoning you like). Spread the meat mix over the pastry. Break some eggs over the top (as evenly as you can), slice tomato on top (or if canned, drain and chop up) then add some frozen peas. You can change this to mixed vege, beans or whatever. You can at this stage add cheese too. Put the rest of the pastry on top to cover the lot. Poke some holes in it and cook around 45 mins (never timed it, so until it is cooked) at 180deg. This is delicious cold too ! posted by talka

Sausage & Potato Pie
This sausage pie was entered in a competition that Alison judged some years ago. It proved so popular with everyone who tasted it that it emerged a clear winner. This variation uses sausage meat because it is easier to manage that the sausages used in the original recipe. For 4-6 servings: 6 medium potatoes 2 medium onions 1 kg sausage meat or sausages 2 Tbsp brown sugar 2 Tbsp flour 2 tsp curry powder 1 x 400g can apples or 1 x 400g can Mexican, Italian or savoury tomatoes 1 Tbsp butter freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup milk 1/2-1 cup grated cheese Preheat the oven to at 180°C. Peel the potatoes, cut into small pieces, and cook in a pot of lightly salted water. Cut the onions into thin wedges. Sprinkle about half the onion in a roasting pan or a large shallow baking dish. Using wet hands, form the sausage meat into walnut-sized pieces and place on a sheet of cling film. Mix together the brown sugar, flour and curry powder and sprinkle over the sausage meat, turning the pieces to coat all sides. Arrange the coated sausage meat in a layer over the onion in the baking dish. Top with the rest of the onion. Spread the apples or tomatoes evenly over the sausage and onion layer. Drain the cooked potatoes and mash them with the butter, pepper and milk. Spread the mash evenly over the sausages, swirl or roughen the top attractively, then sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. NOTE: If using whole sausages, cut the skins lengthwise, then one at a time hold them under running cold water so the skins will peel off easily. If canned apples seem dry, add 1/4-1/2 cup of fruit juice, wine or beer. I deleted the apple and used wedges of fresh tomatoes. posted by sea-salt"

245sam, Aug 2, 2:33am
continued from #4

"sausage pie
1 x tube sausage meat, i tin pineapple drained, i cup cooked rice, 2 tablespoons chutney, 1 egg, 2 t curry powder, an left over vege. line the dish with pastry, mix all the above together and pop in pastry, cover with another sheet of pastry and cook for 30-40 mins. Serve with tom sauce. BIG hit in my family. posted by rosielee3

Make a bowl of sage and onion stuffing
just as you would to stuff a chicken. Roll out a sheet of pastry and spread a layer of sausage meat over the pastry, then a layer of stuffing on top of the sausage meat. Roll the whole lot up and slice into 1-2cm wide slices, like pinwheels. Place on a baking tray and bake til the pastry is crispy and the meat cooked all the way through. Yum yum yum. posted by datoofairy

Sausage Flan
This is an old recipe that my Mum in law used to make Press 500g of sausage meat into a dish(onto the bottom of the dish and up the sides).Beat 5 eggs and add about 1/2-3/4 cup of milk.Then add chopped parsley and 1 cup of grated cheese.You can also add chopped bacon,mushrooms or tomatoes.I have also added grated courgettes.It always works out well. posted by gemmos"

Hope there's something there that appeals.:-))

obsidianwings, Aug 2, 2:36am
Thanks, want to use them as sausages rather than sausage meat, and partner not a fan of apple in meals however I might be able to work something from one of those recipes :)

245sam, Aug 2, 2:47am
obsidianwings, here's another option that you might like to consider but using your venison sausages instead of the venison meat as below to make what is basically a pastry-topped casserole.

"I bought wild venison the other day - in fact two roasts. The first was as tough as old boots, so the second one, I diced, mixed in one mashed up kiwi fruit, left it for an hour or so in the fridge, and then tipped in a can of beer. Left it overnight, casseroled it the next day with the usual onion, carrot etc. Thickened it and then put it in a pyrex dish with a puff pastry on top. It was so nice. posted by chris313":-))

mwood, Aug 2, 2:58am
You could try frying or roasting the sausages then putting them in a pie dishand covering them with mashed potato, slice some tomatoes on to this sprinkle with cheese and smoked paprika and put in the oven or grill to melt the cheese topping - Simple Venison Sausage Pie - serve with onion gravy.

obsidianwings, Aug 2, 3:52am
Not what I was originally picturing, but that sounds delicious mwood, I think I might do that :)