Creaming butter and sugar

kelzzz, Apr 14, 7:08am
Im a bit of a novice at baking. What is the correct process for this please?

gaspodetwd, Apr 14, 7:09am
I always use a stiffspatula. Or an electric hand mixer - cream until smooth and white.

jubellsrose, Apr 14, 7:10am
beat butter and sugar until the sugar is disolved and mixture looks the colour of cream.

elliehen, Apr 14, 7:33am
All of the above :)A hand-held electric beater does a great job. You can't beat it too much - you need to dissolve the sugar in the butter so it's not grainy and is very pale and soft.

The second stage is usually beating in eggs well, one at a time, until they combine. At the third stage, adding dry ingredients, don't beat any more. Just stir in with a spatula or spoon.

cookessentials, Apr 14, 7:35am
All of the above, except, you need to start with SOFTENED ( not melted) butter. It will make a far easier job to cream softened butter and sugar. Personally, I only ever use caster sugar as it dissolves easily and quickly.

kelzzz, Apr 14, 9:35am
Thanks for the tips :) i have used a wooden spatula. Maybe a mixer would be better.

What happens if you don't mix it properly though? Like if the sugar isn't properly dissolved? Will it affect the outcome?

harrislucinda, Apr 14, 9:55am
no willstillturn out ok

cookessentials, Apr 14, 10:02am
it will be fine, the tip is to get it to the point that it changes colour - to a pale yellow.

valentino, Apr 14, 9:07pm
Totally agree with cookessentials,

One must never melt butter when creaming with sugar, very important! ! ! !

babytears, Apr 14, 11:54pm
Sometimes to soften the butter I sit the bowl in the sink which is filled with hot water... . sometimes this causes the butter to melt. What I've done to remedy this is give the (softened/melted) butter and sugar a good whip with the mixer and then put in freezer for about 3/4 mins - pull it out and beat again... . it turns out beautiful!

valentino, Feb 1, 11:42am
The best method in softening butter is prior to the baking, set aside the amount of butter to be used and place on a saucer or small bowl then into the hot water cupboard until soften a little, the beaters will then soften it enough via friction of the beaters.

Just to give a scenario, if one had grease or enamel paint on one's hands, a knob of butter rubbed into the hands will remove the grease or paint then wash hands with normal soap and water will completely remove all. That is done by the warmth of one's hands and friction motion, same as the beaters then sugar when added will dissolve sufficiently. HHmmmm, hopes this makes sense.

Cheers.