Chinese takeaways - veges and cashew nuts

ksr, Aug 5, 8:00am
What are the veges cooked in to get them tasting so yummy!Chicken stock!

fxx99, Aug 5, 8:22am
Usually msg and flavour enhancers 625,637 and 666.

firemansgirl, Aug 5, 9:03am
Nah aren't they supposed to disclose whether they use MSG!

puddleduck00, Aug 5, 9:21am
Hahah of course they use MSG.It's chinese. You can buy big bags of MSG from Asian food warehouses. I found that amusing. Heaps of takeaways use MSG.Takeaway pizza usually has it.

ksr, Aug 6, 5:03am
Ours was MSG apparently. so any other ideas

ksr, Aug 6, 5:03am
oops msg FREE

lythande1, Aug 6, 5:15am
Soya sauce, oyster sauce. Plus whatever else they may add, ginger, garlic. MSG

tigerlilly16, Aug 6, 6:23am
I use soy sauce, fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped finely, fresh garlic chopped finely, a chicken oxo cube dissolved in about 1/2 a cup of hot water, and at the end add about a dessertpoon full corn flour dissolved in 1/2 a cup of cold water (must be cold) and stir till sauce thickens. Needs to be a bit of liquid already present to get a sauce, so adjust with additional water/soy sauce before adding cornflour mixture. I also find the type of soy sauce you use makes a big difference, the cheap ones are basically artificially flavoured and you need to use heaps of them and still don't give much depth of flavour, the more expensive ones like kikkoman you only need to use a small amount and give heaps of flavour. I used to buy organic tamari sometimes this has a lovely flavour too.

nauru, Aug 6, 8:09am
Try using any of the following: hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, chicken or vege stock, soy sauce, garlic, ginger (minced), 5 spice powder.A few drops of sesame oil just before serving, I always use this in my fried rice.

nauru, Aug 6, 8:10am
A lot of places are now MSG free and usually state this.

reese, Aug 6, 8:48am
does msg effect the actual taste! If so what kind of flavour does it add to your cooking!
Sorry ive never heard of it before.

puddleduck00, Aug 6, 11:04am
Salty taste. Think chicken salt or noodle sachet.

puddleduck00, Aug 6, 11:06am
That's good to hear. Hope more and more go that way.

grouch, Aug 6, 11:51am
The msg nearly drives me crazy after I have had chinese takeaways as I cant stop drinking. It makes me so thirsty.