Meals for 1, for widowed and living alone?

dancingqueen62, Jun 17, 1:57am
suggestions please, I do cook and freeze leftovers, I need to find a way to get more veges into me. Food has lost it's excitement and I am now on a very tight budget. Any suggestions

herself, Jun 17, 2:02am
Stir fries are a great way to put more veg. into your daily food and you only cook the amount needed at any one time.Can be meatless or not, depends on what you feel like.

davidt4, Jun 17, 2:22am
Chicken & Vegetable Soup

3 servings (freezes well and keeps in the fridge for 3 days)

1 packet free range chicken drumsticks or thighs - about 1 kg
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 small cabbage, roughly chopped
2 - tomatoes,chopped
200g mushrooms, chopped
1 - 2 red kumara, peeled and diced
3 bay leaves
200 ml white or red wine (optional)
salt and pepper

Place all in a large saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook gently for about 45 minutes or until everything is tender.Take out the chicken pieces, when cool enough to handle take off all of the meat and return it to the soup.Check for salt, serve hot with finely chopped parsley, tarragon or other green herbs on top, plus a little extra virgin olive oil or butter added at the last minute before serving.

I also make this with lamb shoulder chops instead of chicken.

punkinthefirst, Jun 17, 2:29am
I, too, am bored with cooking for one. But I use my microwave these days for pretty near all my veges, and cook most meat dishes in bulk, portioning it into one-meal sizes, and freezing it. That way, I can make the most of the specials on offer, and even enjoy a roast dinner from time to time. (Sliced roast meat with a bit of gravy freezes beautifully and reheats well in the microwave.) I even make sure I have one plated meal in the freezer for those times when I just can't be bothered cooking. Once you get far enough ahead of yourself with frozen "goodies" you only have to reheat your meals for a while - and that can save on budget, sanity and time!
I'm finding that I enjoy my main meal more at lunchtime, these days, with a snack at night, rather than a full meal. And I make the most of seasonal vegetables- but don't forget that fruit is just as good for you.
Good luck!

geldof, Jun 17, 2:35am
Individual fish pies.
savoury mince with grated and chopped veges.Freeze portions and use in shpeherds pie, bolagnaise, baked potatoes, etc.

I also just saw this idea on the net this morning. (omelette)
http://koakompass.com/2010/03/10-minutes-to-tasty/

tehenga288, Jun 17, 6:44am
I buy a pork hock $3 or $4 slow roast couple of hrs with roast veg. Can usually get 2 meals out of this. Frozen chicken on special can go a long way roast with veg 1 night , add to stir fry anothe nightr, make a chicken pasta with broccoli, onion( or whateveryou have ) , garlic and a.99 cent tin of tomatoes.Use the carcass to make a soup adding grated veg etc.
Itry and cook extra on the times I feel like cooking then when I'm not motivated there is still something in the frig or freezer - it took a while to get used to cooking for one and unless the kids are here, when I see a special recipe there's not much point in making it and I miss that.

nunesy, Jun 17, 6:56am
If you like spaghetti bolognaise, add dried red lentils - I do this and it tastes great, thickens the sauce a little, and makes the mince go way further.

jaymcee, Jun 17, 7:36am
Minestrone soup is great, tasty and easy to make a large amount and freeze the rest, also loads of vege.

lurtz, Jun 17, 7:53am
Warm thoughts to you. Others have suggested soup which is anexcellent idea.Blend or whizz if eating veges without effort is just so much easier at this time.All the best for the weeks and months ahead:-)

tinkagirl, Jun 17, 8:04am
Also you can add grated carrots or parnips into the sauce and not even taste them.

dancingqueen62, Jun 17, 10:00pm
thank you all.,some great advice

indy95, Jun 18, 2:12am
Another idea which might help-pizza can be loaded with all sorts of vegetables. My current obsession is thin crust pizza loaded with tomatoes of course plus red onions, mushrooms, spinach, or you can add thinly sliced leftover roast veges or whatever you want. I scatter over chopped fresh herbs if I have any and some mozzarella or parmesan. It is really delicious and I tell myself that because I am generous with the veges and mean with the cheese it is not too calorific!

buzzy110, Jun 18, 3:24am
I am a great fan of Chinese style stir fried veges and meat. You get all the vegetables you could ever want, mixed with just the correct amount of protein. Use stock, instead of water and you have an even more nutritious meal. I don't bother with rice.

duckmoon, Jun 18, 4:54am
Have a look on the economy gastronomy website.

Their principle is having a "bedrock" recipe (in their jargon) and then a number of "tumbledown" recipes .

It might mean that you can cook less often, while still having interesting and varied meals

duckmoon, Jun 18, 6:56am
I agree with the comments about soup to increase vege intake.

Everything from a straight vege soup
Pea and ham
Carrot and cashew
Kumera

Make a recipe which serves six or eight, and freeze the rest of the portions individually.
Great for having veges at lunchtime

duckmoon, Jun 18, 6:57am
On increasing vege consumption,don't forget about raw vegs

buzzy110, Jun 18, 7:32am
I second that.

jns, Jun 19, 9:09am
When you buy a pack of mince, use what you want for tea that night and with the rest, make them up into hamburger patties, wrap individually in gladwrap and freeze.Make sure you have some burger buns in the freezer too.Make a quick and easy meal and homemade burgers are always yummy.

duckmoon, Jun 19, 12:09pm
And great for extra veges

rovertniloc, Jun 20, 2:32am
Do you have a friend(or two) in the same position as yourself! Make up some meals and swap them with your friend. That way you are getting someone elses cooking for a change.

dancingqueen62, Jun 21, 3:11am
good idea , I crave something I haven't cooked.