Im stuck for ideas.

kristafin, Jun 24, 11:13am
my partner has been told by doctor to pretty much start eating better or he could keel ova at any moment.im not that much of a wizz in the kitchen and im racking my brains trying to think of healthy meals for us that are simple, cheap and something my FUSSY 8year old son will eat too.so please any recipes greatly appreciated

elliehen, Jun 24, 11:17am
A good place to start.

aglarana, Jun 24, 11:18am
What kinds of foods did the doctor recommend he increase and decrease!
And what won't your 8 year old eat!

lythande1, Jun 24, 7:42pm
No such thing as a fussy, hungry kid. Let him go without, that cures fussiness.

sarahb5, Jun 24, 9:01pm
What are you eating at the moment!It's always a good idea to look at how unhealthy what you're currently eating is but in general simple, unprocessed cooked from scratch with fresh ingredients is a good way to start.

As far as fussy kids are concerned, everyone is allowed likes and dislikes but in our house, once you're over 5, you eat what I've cooked or you starve.I simply don't have the time, finances, patience or inclination to cook different meals for every member of the household.

kokopuff, Jun 24, 9:37pm
That is such a great website, excellent place to start great recipes.

sarahb5, Jun 24, 10:00pm
I like it for the healthy makeovers of "traditional" dishes

kesley, Jun 24, 11:41pm
The 8 year old must like nachos, right! So, try this one - which uses prime or premium mince, ideally, and actually has more veges than meat in it. But you'd never know, as you use beef stock and reduce them right down until they really just taste like meat. The whole mixture tastes like one of those Maggi packet mix nachos dealies, except better. And, it uses way less salt (to drop the salt even further, make your own stock or buy low-salt stock).

http://www.misscookie.co.nz/index.php!post=1376&name=the%20very%20best%20chili%20recipe.

Only thing I'd suggest is leaving out the chili powder as most kids aren't really into spicy food. And, sorry for the horrible photos - I've been meaning to update them but haven't gotten around to it. Sometime in the next few days!

This is also a super easy thing to make in a crockpot - just fling everything in, stir, and turn onto high for half a day or so.
You may even want to halve the recipe - it makes 12 servings.

kesley, Jun 24, 11:42pm
O and yes, healthy food guide is AMAZING. The best tip I ever got from that site is to add things like chickpeas and cannelini beans to your meat dishes. It bulks it out, is seriously filling, and tastes awesome.

cgvl, Jun 25, 12:34am
if child is a fussy vegie eater. Make a vegie soup with bacon/chicken in it.
Grate then once cooked if necessary mash allthe vegies so they are totally unrecognisable and don't let on you have used something they don't like. Works a treat, can be very cheap too and is you can make scones or even garlic bread have as a main meal. Sometimes I put individual dumplings/doughboys on top too.
Cutting salt and sugar also needs to be done slowly over several weeks to allow taste buds to get used to having less.
I started by removing the salt from the table, I still salt vegies but with a lot less than I used to.
Porridge for breakfast instead of lashings of sugar/honey/golden syrup we use yoghurt as the sweetener. Also dont use the individual packet porridge as it has sugar added. We do the same with all cereals now.