Pork belly help please

oooooowwwwww, Jun 25, 12:40am
i have never cooked it, and don't have a clue where to start, and have never been able to make crackling, so please can you advise what/how i should be doing this!

aglarana, Jun 25, 1:02am
Roast it like a normal roast.
I quarter an onion(skin on) sprinkle some herbs over the top, smash some gloves of garlic and drop them randomly, then rest the belly on top of the onion. I also sprinkle the rind liberally to soak up excess moisture so it makes a yummy crackle.

Pork belly is quite rich so you don't need to serve as much as a normal pork roast per portion.

oooooowwwwww, Jun 25, 1:08am
thank you for that, do i need to add oil or water in the bottom of the roasting dish! (i struggle with roasts at the best of time, cooking is really not my forte). when you say sprinkle the rind do you mean with herbs! and what herbs do you use please! and what sort of temp and how long approx should i be cooking it for please! its a gas oven

porka1, Jun 25, 1:15am
http://dlish.co.nz/blog/Pork_belly.aspx
There is also a link to Food Extraordinaire,NZ Pork site with lots of tips.

beebs, Jun 25, 1:20am
i boil the jug and slowly pour the hot water over the skin, pat dry, and then rub skin with oil and salt, crank up the oven, and sit down and wait for the magic, when you are happy with the crackle, drop the oven temp right back to 150-160, pour water, water and stock or milk (havent tried this) just up to the top of the meat, not the crackling, and slow bake

aglarana, Jun 25, 1:35am
I never add oil or water to Pork Belly because it has a high fat content anyway. That's also why I raise it a bit(over the onions) to allow the excess fat to drain away.
If the rind/crackle is too moist it turns to soft rubber. Not very pleasant in a roast.

aglarana, Jun 25, 1:36am
I do that with whole roast duck. Makes the skin nice and crunchy.

oooooowwwwww, Jun 25, 6:18am
ok its on cooking, aglarana im giving it a go your way :) am very excited it smells delish!

karenz, Jun 25, 6:32am
Next time maybe try Annabell Langbein's pork belly cooked it milk, it is devine, though I have never managed to get the crackling right with that recipe.I rub salt and sesame oil onto the skin when I cook it the regular way, and make sure it is well scored.

aglarana, Jun 25, 8:57am
How did it go! Yummy! Rich! Delicious!
Did the crackle work out ok!

Argh! So excited. lol.

groomingtools, Jun 25, 10:12pm
Annabel Langbein - devine and I always have gorgeous crackling with that one

oooooowwwwww, Jun 25, 10:37pm
the pork was AMAZING! absoloutly delish! it was just a shame there wasn't much of it cos i could have eaten so much more! the crackling was a dismal failure, i had it on really high, it looked like it was done, then i turned the oven down and when the meat was cooked the "crackling" was soft. I cut the meat off and put the crackling back in on about 220, it was in for over an hour and a half and didn't seem to harden at all, then all of a sudden it was burning. don't know what i did wrong :(
i did still eat it though even though it was a bit burnt lol it was still yummy, just not something i would be able to serve to anyone else

thewomble1, Jun 30, 11:03am
cook/roast the pork using milk

ruddles_nz, Jun 30, 11:31am
perfect. same here

fisher, Jun 30, 12:42pm
(above)Always been my recommended way of doing it.

perle, Jun 30, 12:43pm
score fat side, turn over. Smother in cranberry jelly (the kind u buy in the jar for ur xmas turkey). sprinkle over sage, put spinach leaves, any ohter fresh herbs u may have. Put a row of buffalo mozzarella, or brie, whichever u like. Roll up and butcher tie, rub with salt, pepper, orange zest and brown sugar. Roast, cut into decent sized slices. Divine.

usualsuspect, Jul 9, 12:40pm
i made pork belly roast last weekend.it wasnt very tasty.i wont bother again

les6, Jul 11, 7:44am
do you even read these threads and replies from people that have actually done it for themselves and told you how/what to do!
try anabelle langbein`s porkbelly done in milk and get back to us,4 people have tried it at my reccomendation and all said its the best they have tasted!

firemansgirl, Jul 11, 8:52am
and chuck in sage leaves. sooo nice.