Bread Maker Yeast

macb, Jul 10, 10:21am
I have been given a packet of Bakels Instant Active Dried Yeast and made a loft of bread with it but it was a flop.On the instructions of the yeast it said that no activating was required.I did some googling and saw some people recommended adding the liquids, sugar and yeast to activate (foam) first before starting the process.I tried this today and that too was a flop.Does anyone have any suggestions!I normally use Tasti or Edmonds and have no problems at all but was given 3 500gm packets of this yeast and didn't want to waste it. Thanks

oramac, Jul 10, 10:29am
The fresher the yeast the better. I used Surebake, then Binn Inn and both worked the same.

bill241, Jul 10, 11:01pm
With my breadmaker, a Panasonic latest version, it wouldn't work to melt/activate the yeast because the machine rests for ages before going. The only exception is rapid bake (which is awful anyway) and pizza, which it recommends that you activate the yeast. I've always only used Surebake and once Tasti, which sucked. Does your breadmaker rest the mix before kneading etc! The yeast will bust itself before it can release gas into the dough in that scenario, since its either already been activated or it is still in the form that the breadmaker can't utilise.

macb, Jul 11, 1:51am
bill241 . When I select a normal loaf it mixes all the ingreds straight away and then kneads it for a while and then it stops this process and rests. I get a pefect loaf using Edmonds and Tasti everytime but just didn't want to waste what I had been given.

kinna54, Jul 11, 3:01am
My Breville recipe books specifically say do not use packaged dry yeast. I would always go for the Edmonds red cap, I have had tasti as well, but the red cap Edmonds does give better results.and keep it in the fridge or freezer door.

Yourcurrent dried yeast you have will be fine used in hand made fruit buns etc.

nzhel, Jul 11, 5:17am
I recently enquired to Bakels about their new breadmaker bread mixes I noticed available very recently. In the directions on the packet it just says 1½ teasps dried yeast so I wondered if Surebake could be used. They replied saying it could, or I could use their yeast and they kindly sent me a 'sample'. The 'sample' is anything but - its a huge packet which will just about see me out! Anyway I used it to make up one of their grain bread mixes and was disappointed really at the very small loaf it made. The amount of yeast seemed to be not enough really and I also wonder if Surebake yeast would have been better. I have never had a problem ever using Surebake yeast.
The loaf was made in my new Panasonic. I have another Sourdough bread mix of theirs to try so may use Surebake with that to see how it goes.

bill241, Jul 11, 11:02am
That blows my theory then!

wron, Jul 11, 12:43pm
I prefer Tasti in my Panasonic, previous model, had trouble with Surebake and Edmonds didn't want to know inspite of me contacting them many times. They responded the 1st time, then ignored me so I stopped using their product. MIne rests for quite a while too, but, as far as I am aware,in all Panasonic recipes the yeast is at the bottom of the pan and the liquid at the top.